Txs God I didn't buy a NIKON!

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions
aaanouel
Senior MemberPosts: 5,023Gear list
Like?
Txs God I didn't buy a NIKON!
Apr 27, 2012

It had happened to me a year ago, when I fell in love with Nikon P-500 . Fortunately I realized that it was just a hook for silly wealthy consumers, not even good for photo amateurs. Without entering in tech details, its advertising info and specs were incomplete and misleading, and not even a single image of the Master Piece Add Video was made with a P500: Of course!: P500 couldn't do any of the showed features in a flawless way. Marketing Ethics? well, thanks!. That was my first Nikon consumer product disappointment.

NOW, for complementing my photo gear, I'm looking for a bigger sized sensor camera for better resolution and IQ, something like a NEX-7, but cheaper.

So in my search I got to the new NIKON D3200   and at first sight it seemed to be "Just Splendid" : 24Mp, 23.2 x 15.4 mm CMOS sensor, a beautiful design for just $700, great!... but digging a little more about it, it just happened to me again:

Fixed LCD. Reprobated!
MonoMicrophone. Reprobated! (StereoMic: Optional add-on).
GPS: NA. Reprobated! (Optional add-on).

So I didn't want to know anymore about how many other lacks it has and discarded it automatically: Just the same Nikon consumer product disappointment.

Thanks God I purchased a Sony HX100V, not a Nikon.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.

Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D3200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
peter42y
Senior MemberPosts: 2,141Gear list
Like?
Re: Txs God I didn't buy a NIKON!
In reply to aaanouel, Apr 27, 2012

I believe Nikon cameras use sony sensors. The exception is the nikon J1/ V1 that does use an aptina sensor.
If I am wrong , I have no problem people do point it out.
When it does come to the J1/V1 I am completely sure.
When it does come to nikon 5100.., I am 99% sure it does use sony sensor.

I am not completely sure all nikon DSLR cameras have sensors made by sony but someone more knowledgeable can enlighten that point.

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R8 Canon ELPH 500 HS RX100 III Canon EOS M
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,139Gear list
Like?

At least you did your homework Agusto, i have and always loved Canon, i would choose a canon over Nikon anyday. Im sure your arsenal of good gear will serve you well. Have you seen the new olympus looks an excellent Hybrid machine

aaanouel wrote:

It had happened to me a year ago, when I fell in love with Nikon P-500 . Fortunately I realized that it was just a hook for silly wealthy consumers, not even good for photo amateurs. Without entering in tech details, its advertising info and specs were incomplete and misleading, and not even a single image of the Master Piece Add Video was made with a P500: Of course!: P500 couldn't do any of the showed features in a flawless way. Marketing Ethics? well, thanks!. That was my first Nikon consumer product disappointment.

NOW, for complementing my photo gear, I'm looking for a bigger sized sensor camera for better resolution and IQ, something like a NEX-7, but cheaper.

So in my search I got to the new NIKON D3200   and at first sight it seemed to be "Just Splendid" : 24Mp, 23.2 x 15.4 mm CMOS sensor, a beautiful design for just $700, great!... but digging a little more about it, it just happened to me again:

Fixed LCD. Reprobated!

So I didn't want to know anymore about how many other lacks it has and discarded it automatically: Just the same Nikon consumer product disappointment.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

-- hide signature --

Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
TimelordXYZ
Regular MemberPosts: 389Gear list
Like?

aaanouel wrote:

Fixed LCD. Reprobated!

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

You have traded Image Quality for Versatility.

The Nikon D3200 has an APS-C sized sensor inside which is vastly superior (in pure image quality) to the tiny sensor in a P&S like the HX100V.

However, the HX100V is much more versatile from a functionality viewpoint - eg. the extended zoom of 810mm would be difficult to match in a lens for a camera with an APS-C sized sensor (size and cost would be prohibitive). This is in addition to the other advantages you have listed.

Horses for courses, as they say!!!

TimelordXYZ's gear list:TimelordXYZ's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N A3000 Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
JustaBhoy
Contributing MemberPosts: 785Gear list
Like?
In reply to TimelordXYZ, Apr 27, 2012

The single microphone and no g.p.s. would'nt bother me, but in that price range i'd expect a tilt screen a least.

Sam_Oslo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,493Gear list
Like?

aaanouel wrote:
.. .
Fixed LCD. Reprobated!

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

These are common-future in all cameras, even in cheap crapes, in these days. It costs virtually noting to implement these future , but they seams to be damaging these affordable/cheep cameras deliberately to push the customer to buy those "expensive" models.

But NIKON is not the only company doing this. Camera-makers tend to have the same sensor (same Image quality) for several models in each year (like canon 550, 600, etc), but they add or remove futures (speed, control whiles, etc) to create top-models with top price-tag.

These top-model DSLRs are so expensive that nobody would buy them unless the manufacturers damage the affordable models deliberately.

Sam_Oslo's gear list:Sam_Oslo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
aaanouel
Like?
NIKON P$S cameras, of course

Yes, I'm talking about consumer products: P&S cameras.

They use their fame, reputation and expensive advertising for selling very attractive products that don't deserve to have the NIKON name on them to eager to purchase (aren't we all?) unaware people (not all of us).

They sell FIATs as if they are Ferraris, putting only the yellow Cavallino logo on them.

That's not the way to do business it and it's going to hurt their long term sales for sure.
--
aaanouel

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
aaanouel
Like?
Right!
In reply to Sam_Oslo, Apr 27, 2012

You're right Sam
--
aaanouel

aaanouel
Like?
In reply to ASR45, Apr 27, 2012

I'll take into account your suggestions.
Txs4Sharing
--
aaanouel

aaanouel
Like?
Txs4Sharing
In reply to peter42y, Apr 27, 2012

Interesting.
Txs4Sharing
--
aaanouel

ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,139Gear list
Like?
Re: NIKON P$S cameras, of course

Nice web site.
--
Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
Hooterville
Contributing MemberPosts: 552Gear list
Like?
Thank God that I bought a NIKON

Nikon makes some of the finest cameras on the planet. I have several Nikon's with a ton of Nikon glass and several Sony cameras. I thank god that I did buy a Nikon.

Hooterville's gear list:Hooterville's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 +1 more
aaanouel
Like?
Nikon P&S cameras don't deserve that logo.
In reply to Hooterville, Apr 27, 2012

Of course NIKON is a great hi level camera maker and possibly "there's a Nikon on my future"

but talking about consumer products: P&S cameras, they sell FIATs as if they were Ferraris, putting only the yellow Cavallino logo on them: products that don't deserve to have the NIKON name on them.
--
aaanouel

WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,619
Like?
In reply to peter42y, Apr 27, 2012

peter42y wrote:

I believe Nikon cameras use sony sensors. The exception is the nikon J1/ V1 that does use an aptina sensor.
If I am wrong , I have no problem people do point it out.
When it does come to the J1/V1 I am completely sure.
When it does come to nikon 5100.., I am 99% sure it does use sony sensor.

I am not completely sure all nikon DSLR cameras have sensors made by sony but someone more knowledgeable can enlighten that point.

Nikon designs the sensors, Sony only fabs them.

WaltKnapp
Like?
Re: Nikon P&S cameras don't deserve that logo.

aaanouel wrote:

Of course NIKON is a great hi level camera maker and possibly "there's a Nikon on my future"

but talking about consumer products: P&S cameras, they sell FIATs as if they were Ferraris, putting only the yellow Cavallino logo on them: products that don't deserve to have the NIKON name on them.

Seems you expect high level cameras for P&S prices

Bill Borne
Forum ProPosts: 18,194Gear list
Like?
What does "Reprobated" mean? nt
-- hide signature --

Bill

Link for Recent Trip Out West
http://www.pbase.com/bill_b/2011_trip

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H200 +3 more
Bill Borne
Forum ProPosts: 18,194Gear list
Like?
REprobate to foreordain to damnation Nt Got it!
In reply to Bill Borne, Apr 27, 2012
-- hide signature --

Bill

Link for Recent Trip Out West
http://www.pbase.com/bill_b/2011_trip

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H200 +3 more
Sam_Oslo
Like?
In reply to WaltKnapp, Apr 27, 2012

Yep you got the point. Why not?

The prise of good DSLR is insane. These P&S are almost as good, and manufacturing costs are almost as cheap too, so I'm wondering why they cost so much more?.

Is there any good DSLR for a good price out there. anyways?

WaltKnapp wrote:

aaanouel wrote:

Seems you expect high level cameras for P&S prices

Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
WaltKnapp
Like?
In reply to Sam_Oslo, Apr 27, 2012

Sam_Oslo wrote:

Yep you got the point. Why not?

The prise of good DSLR is insane. These P&S are almost as good, and manufacturing costs are almost as cheap too, so I'm wondering why they cost so much more?.

Is there any good DSLR for a good price out there. anyways?

Yep, I'd like the Nikon D800 to cost a penny, and throw in a bunch of long tele at a dime each. But that's unrealistic. And if it was so, that would be the end on camera models with only one model selling for each brand. You have choice with different price cameras that you would not have with all costing the same.

The price of DSLRs reflects the quality of the parts, the durability of the camera, the care in assembly, the range of photography the camera is capable of and so on. There are significant differences in the cost of building a P&S and a DSLR and what they can do.

Sam_Oslo
Like?
In reply to WaltKnapp, Apr 27, 2012

WaltKnapp wrote:

Yep, I'd like the Nikon D800 to cost a penny, and throw in a bunch of long tele at a dime each. But that's unrealistic. And if it was so, that would be the end on camera models with only one model selling for each brand. You have choice with different price cameras that you would not have with all costing the same.

The price of DSLRs reflects the quality of the parts, the durability of the camera, the care in assembly, the range of photography the camera is capable of and so on. There are significant differences in the cost of building a P&S and a DSLR and what they can do.

I haven't asked for Penny and Dime - prices, is this your fantasy or misunderstanding?

These DSLRs are a bit better, but they are unrealistically expensive compared to P&S. These companies make more than enough money, but some tend to get greedy and want to squeeze more out of consumers by asking a lot more for offering a little more.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads