Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions
jnxr
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
Apr 27, 2012

Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800

As we have all compared the 5D to its main arch rival the D800, I'd like to throw in the newly rumored D600 which is said to be released before photokina (September 2012), to find out where it stands in the Mid-size full frame SLRs released this year.

Category: Entry level full frame camera
24MP Sony CMOS sensor (Designed by Nikon)
1080p Full HD video recording
Auto DX crop mode
Dual SD card slots
In-camera RAW editor
Built in time-lapse functionality
Possible integrated GPS
New external battery grip
No AF motor for non-AFS lenses
No built-in HDR feature
Rumored price: $1500

If it were released at the price mentioned, one could buy two D600s instead of the D800 and the 5D and still have spare change left to spend on a lens.

Will Nikon lose a lot of D800 sales? Will Canon be able to compete at this price point? What if the rumored high megapixel Canon body is approximately around the same price? Where would the 5D III sit after this releases? What are your thoughts? Please post your thoughts.

Source:
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/04/26/more-nikon-d600-rumors.aspx/

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/04/25/another-full-frame-dslr-on-the-horizont-nikon-d600.aspx/

Disclaimer: This is by no means a Canon vs Nikon thread. All such fanboy comments are best avoided. This thread was started solely with the purpose of knowing your opinions of where such a camera would stand if it were released as of today. Those who aren't interested, are better served by going out and shooting instead of posting here and telling us to.

 jnxr's gear list:jnxr's gear list
Nikon D3200
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
24Peter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,942
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
In reply to jnxr, Apr 27, 2012

Bring it! Competition is good and as much as I appreciate Canon's current line up of products, a little incentive for them to lower prices/improve product offerings is always welcome.
--
View my photo galleries here: http://imageevent.com/24peter
Model Mayhem: http://www.modelmayhem.com/93181

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jnxr
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
In reply to 24Peter, Apr 27, 2012

24Peter wrote:

Bring it! Competition is good and as much as I appreciate Canon's current line up of products, a little incentive for them to lower prices/improve product offerings is always welcome.
--
View my photo galleries here: http://imageevent.com/24peter
Model Mayhem: http://www.modelmayhem.com/93181

I'd like to see a new DSLR category soon from both Nikon and Canon at this price range.

 jnxr's gear list:jnxr's gear list
Nikon D3200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Canoknight
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Nikon bulldozing past Canon..
In reply to jnxr, Apr 27, 2012

Afraid, it's true. First, the SoNi sensor in the D800 leaves Canon eating Nikon's dust.. and now a $1500 full frame .. and Canon still stuck in overpriced cameras with 2007 technology.

 Canoknight's gear list:Canoknight's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 50D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jnxr
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon bulldozing past Canon..
In reply to Canoknight, Apr 27, 2012

Canoknight wrote:

Afraid, it's true. First, the SoNi sensor in the D800 leaves Canon eating Nikon's dust.. and now a $1500 full frame .. and Canon still stuck in overpriced cameras with 2007 technology.

Even if it will be a D3X sensor, it will be good enough. After December 2008, when the D3x was announced, I think they would have made some improvements in sensor technology.

I'd like to see canon bring something out to compete with the D600 if it were ever released.

The full frame market is suddenly becoming more turbulent by the day.

 jnxr's gear list:jnxr's gear list
Nikon D3200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Daniel Clune
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,425Gear list
Like?
Too many unkowns
In reply to jnxr, Apr 27, 2012

If there was more info on this D600 it would be easyer to make a judgement of some kind. But if it really is only $1500 has 24 meg lets say a frame rate of 5 and maybe a focus system in there D7000: 39 points 9 cross. That would make canon so over prices its crazy. But since its a rumor and we dont know the specs impossable to judge. Hope its true though with specs i listed above. that would be killer camera at that price. Cheaper than a 7D, now thats low price.
--
http://www.pbase.com/dc9mm

 Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jnxr
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Re: Too many unkowns
In reply to Daniel Clune, Apr 27, 2012

Daniel Clune wrote:

If there was more info on this D600 it would be easyer to make a judgement of some kind. But if it really is only $1500 has 24 meg lets say a frame rate of 5 and maybe a focus system in there D7000: 39 points 9 cross. That would make canon so over prices its crazy. But since its a rumor and we dont know the specs impossable to judge. Hope its true though with specs i listed above. that would be killer camera at that price. Cheaper than a 7D, now thats low price.
--
http://www.pbase.com/dc9mm

Even with all the unknowns, the idea of a full frame camera at $1500 is quite compelling. Will make all the prices go down.

 jnxr's gear list:jnxr's gear list
Nikon D3200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lawn Lends
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
In reply to jnxr, Apr 27, 2012

The electronics industry in general takes advantage of new technologies and production equipment to lower their production costs, and produce better products at similar or lower price points. Well, except for Canon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Henrik NJ
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
In reply to jnxr, Apr 27, 2012

I guess the price will rise before, or just after the release. Just as we saw with the D800. Hopefully the batteries won't overheat, and the screen will be without the green tint.

Kind regards

Henrik N. J.

 Henrik NJ's gear list:Henrik NJ's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
In reply to Henrik NJ, Apr 27, 2012

At least it won't suffer from light leak, or be stuffed with a sensor from the Jurassic period.

Henrik NJ wrote:

I guess the price will rise before, or just after the release. Just as we saw with the D800. Hopefully the batteries won't overheat, and the screen will be without the green tint.

Kind regards

Henrik N. J.

 EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,923Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
In reply to Lawn Lends, Apr 27, 2012

I'd have to wonder what such a camera would do to Nikon's own lineup. At $1500 it certainly would kill any potential sales of a D400 type camera un?ess they price it around $1000, which seems too low. The enthusiast APS-C market probably sells more cameras than FF by a factor of 10.

I'm all for lower prices on FF, but these days the large beasts are not exactly mainstream, and not likely to be regardless of price. Most people today want smaller cameras not larger ones. Is Nikon trying to create new market at this price point or just expand to those who already own or want FF but won't pay $3K for a body? Sony tried the "budget FF" approach and it failed miserably.

Would such a camera bring FF to the masses? Or would it still be a niche format only for the hardcore photographers and sell in low volumes? Such a camera would be an interesting economics study.
--

My sites:
http://www.gipperich-photography.com
http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/portraits

 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jnxr
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
In reply to Lawn Lends, Apr 27, 2012

Lawn Lends wrote:

The electronics industry in general takes advantage of new technologies and production equipment to lower their production costs, and produce better products at similar or lower price points. Well, except for Canon.

Not for long, if they do not want to lose market share that is.
A FF camera in about $1800-2000 should come out.

Henrik NJ wrote:

I guess the price will rise before, or just after the release. Just as we saw with the D800. Hopefully the batteries won't overheat, and the screen will be without the green tint.

Kind regards

Henrik N. J.

Even with all the shortcomings, it will sell like hot cakes if its priced under $2000.

 jnxr's gear list:jnxr's gear list
Nikon D3200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
farcanal
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
In reply to EvokeEmotion, Apr 27, 2012

Ouch!!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jnxr
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
In reply to gipper51, Apr 27, 2012

gipper51 wrote:

I'd have to wonder what such a camera would do to Nikon's own lineup. At $1500 it certainly would kill any potential sales of a D400 type camera unless they price it around $1000, which seems too low. The enthusiast APS-C market probably sells more cameras than FF by a factor of 10.

While I'm all for lower prices on FF, but these days the large beasts are not exactly mainstream. Most people today want smaller cameras not larger ones. Is Nikon trying to create new market at this price point or just expand to those who already own or want FF but won't pay $3K for a body? Sony tried the "budget FF" approach and it failed miserably.
--

My sites:
http://www.gipperich-photography.com
http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/portraits

Well, Sony did not have Pro bodies, and the lack of lenses deterred many.

Canon and Nikon don't have these shortcomings, and they can realize such a market easily.

 jnxr's gear list:jnxr's gear list
Nikon D3200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lawn Lends
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
In reply to jnxr, Apr 27, 2012

jnxr wrote:

Not for long, if they do not want to lose market share that is.
A FF camera in about $1800-2000 should come out.

Even with all the shortcomings, it will sell like hot cakes if its priced under $2000.

Definitely, fewer features, just focus on IQ and DR (good low light performance should naturally follow), and give us a reasonably priced FF camera around $2,000. If this D600 comes out, Canon will merely have to lower the price on the 5dII to where it should be right now. I am not sure, is the 5dII still in production?

I dont think a cheaper FF camera will cut into similarly priced APS-C cameras much because they would have all the features and most consumers would gravitate toward them.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fraxinus excelsior
Regular MemberPosts: 348
Like?
Re: Nikon bulldozing past Canon..
In reply to jnxr, Apr 27, 2012

jnxr wrote:

Canoknight wrote:

Afraid, it's true. First, the SoNi sensor in the D800 leaves Canon eating Nikon's dust.. and now a $1500 full frame .. and Canon still stuck in overpriced cameras with 2007 technology.

Even if it will be a D3X sensor, it will be good enough. After December 2008, when the D3x was announced, I think they would have made some improvements in sensor technology.

Yes. my old Sony a900 still have more DR than the new 5D MkIII so the Sony FF 24,6 MP sensor is not old and unusable.

D

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jnxr
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
In reply to Lawn Lends, Apr 27, 2012

Lawn Lends wrote:

jnxr wrote:

Not for long, if they do not want to lose market share that is.
A FF camera in about $1800-2000 should come out.

Even with all the shortcomings, it will sell like hot cakes if its priced under $2000.

Definitely, fewer features, just focus on IQ and DR (good low light performance should naturally follow), and give us a reasonably priced FF camera around $2,000. If this D600 comes out, Canon will merely have to lower the price on the 5dII to where it should be right now. I am not sure, is the 5dII still in production?

I dont think a cheaper FF camera will cut into similarly priced APS-C cameras much because they would have all the features and most consumers would gravitate toward them.

The Pentax K-5 is one of the best aps-c DSLRs right now, and it costs just about $1000 in most websites. How much more better can any aps-c DSLR get?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_-RAzBjakk
^^

After looking at the IQ and build quality what you get for $1000, not to mention it has in body stabilization,
Any aps-c dslrs which cost above $1200 is a rip off when compared to the K-5.

Source:
http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/product/9923

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-5-Digital-Black-Body/dp/B0043M6F14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335503053&sr=8-1

 jnxr's gear list:jnxr's gear list
Nikon D3200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
In reply to Lawn Lends, Apr 27, 2012

Lawn Lends wrote:

The electronics industry in general takes advantage of new technologies and production equipment to lower their production costs, and produce better products at similar or lower price points. Well, except for Canon.

Except for Canon in the dSLR segment. Their P&S cameras are getting better and cheaper . But there is serious competition there and "switching systems" is not a problem.

BTW, they do that despite the high value of the yen. The same goes for TV's, etc. Canon views us as cash cows.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jnxr
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
In reply to Peter 13, Apr 27, 2012

Peter 13 wrote:

Lawn Lends wrote:

The electronics industry in general takes advantage of new technologies and production equipment to lower their production costs, and produce better products at similar or lower price points. Well, except for Canon.

Except for Canon in the dSLR segment. Their P&S cameras are getting better and cheaper . But there is serious competition there and "switching systems" is not a problem.

BTW, they do that despite the high value of the yen. The same goes for TV's, etc. Canon views us as cash cows.

Could be true, or it may be that they've shifted their focus from the top end DSLR market. Whatever it may be, if they ain't up to the competition, they need to reconsider the price they ask for their products in case they would like to still compete. If the D600 has a similar feature set like the 5DIII then its going to do some serious damage.

 jnxr's gear list:jnxr's gear list
Nikon D3200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
x-vision
Senior MemberPosts: 1,026
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Rumored Nikon D600 Vs Nikon D800
In reply to jnxr, Apr 27, 2012

jnxr wrote:

If it were released at the price mentioned, one could buy two D600s instead of the D800 and the 5D and still have spare change left to spend on a lens.

While I do think that the D600 rumor makes quite a lot of sense, $1500 is totally unrealistic.
The market doesn't need a FF Rebel and Nikon is not that stupid to make one.

What the market needs right now is a 5DIII - or a D700 with 20-24mp, if you are a Nikonian - but priced at $2500.

I think that's what Nikon will deliver with this rumored D600.
They might get aggressive with the pricing and announce it at $2200.
No point in going below that, though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads