E3 on ebay - no bids

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions
Rawmeister
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?
E3 on ebay - no bids
Apr 26, 2012

My E3 body with less than 1700 clicks is on ebay now.

It's with box, inst, software, original battery, charger, all cables, caps, connection covers, battery covers, etc.
Mint condition.
I have bill of sale for $1,470.00 from 3 years ago.
Can't get a bid for 700 bucks!

Maybe if I put a 14-45 lens with it I can get 750?
Any suggestions.

Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pinnacle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,439Gear list
Like?
You're overpriced.
In reply to Rawmeister, Apr 26, 2012

Unfortunately the $700.00 price is unrealistic in today's market. If you need to sell it, you will need to offer it for a lower reserve price. Good luck in your posting.
Dan
--

Will I learn from life's lessons or will I lose my faith in the goodness life's promise had to offer?

pinnacle's gear list:pinnacle's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rawmeister
Like?
Re: You're overpriced.
In reply to pinnacle, Apr 26, 2012

Ok - but how much lower is a fair price?

And If I put a 14-45 lens with it (the original good one with metal mount, not the lame 14-42) - still lower?

Thanks for advice.

gfraser7
Regular MemberPosts: 414
Like?
Re: E3 on ebay - no bids

They are going for around $600.00 Canadian up here around Toronto, on Kijiji. Maybe you could try an opening bid for 600 with a buy it now for $700?
Just a thought.

Rawmeister
Like?
In reply to gfraser7, Apr 26, 2012

Toronto area here too.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks.
How much extra for the lens if I include it?
No scratches or scuffs. Nice lens really.
I'm thinking $70. Does that sound right?

Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,880Gear list
Like?

maybe a year ago that would have been the right price, and adding that lens is probably not going to make a difference. If it was mine and I needed to sell, then I'd start at $449 with a 'buy now' at say $650.

good luck

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-300 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-30 +23 more
Rawmeister
Like?
In reply to Messier Object, Apr 26, 2012

Thanks.
I'll keep the lens with my E-300 then, and give that pricing plan a spin.

StanTsui
Contributing MemberPosts: 958Gear list
Like?

Sorry to break it to you but $700 is the price for 2010, not long ago some one is selling a E3+14-54+FL36+14-42 for $950 here in Toronto. You can do the math.

It took me 2month to find a buyer for my E1 at acceptable price, good luck on your selling.

StanTsui's gear list:StanTsui's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +3 more
tchatila
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
$476...
In reply to Rawmeister, Apr 27, 2012

...That's what I got for mine on ebay back in Dec 2011. I had it opened up to international markets because I know the e-system does have a lot of fans all over the world and it ended up selling to a buyer in Belgium. Mine was in great shape with some brassing on the bottom and had some extras (battery, memory card, etc).

The bottom of it dropped out with the release of the E-5.

-- hide signature --

-TC

tchatila's gear list:tchatila's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot D10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Albino_BlacMan
Contributing MemberPosts: 931
Like?
Re: $476...
In reply to tchatila, Apr 27, 2012

On fourthirdsphoto.com E-3's are going for like $425 to $500. I wouldn't expect to get much past $500 for it (especially after you pay $11% in fees).

My 14-45 went for like $30. Its a buyers market right now. There's great deals on everything and with a good tripod I don't need much more than an E-3.

In the last year I've gotten 2x E-3's, an 11-22, a 50-200mm and an EC-14 for under $2500. In my opinion that's a pretty killer price for a system of this quality.

However if you're selling your E-3 I'd do it before the E-7 is announced. That should drive down the price of all bodies even further but will probably bring up the prices of lenses.
--
Chris

http://s1215.photobucket.com/home/Albino_BlacMan/index

Rawmeister
Like?
In reply to Albino_BlacMan, Apr 27, 2012

Thanks for the info guys.

Wow, If I had know when I bought it for $1,470 plus tax (which was a $200 off sale at the time), that I would put 1700 clicks on the shutter over three years and then it would be worth $450.00 bucks if I was lucky, and that's even giving away a lens with it, I would never have bought it since it would be a riciculous investment.

Many people said at the time, that four thirds was a dead end system, but I didn't think so. I was wrong. I blame those Oly execs that are in jail now for my huge loss. I guess suing them is not realistic, although it feels like I should.

Albino_BlacMan
Contributing MemberPosts: 931
Like?

Locally we have a D2x thats for sale for $500. Those were over 4 grand in 2005 (probably close to 5 with taxes and stuff). Thatss 90% depreciation over 7 years. So on the bright side at least you'll get a quarter of the original investment back, rather than 10%!
--
Chris

http://s1215.photobucket.com/home/Albino_BlacMan/index

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,352
Like?
This reasoning is just plain silly

Rawmeister wrote:

Thanks for the info guys.

Wow, If I had know when I bought it for $1,470 plus tax (which was a $200 off sale at the time), that I would put 1700 clicks on the shutter over three years and then it would be worth $450.00 bucks if I was lucky, and that's even giving away a lens with it, I would never have bought it since it would be a riciculous investment.

How many photos you made with it is entirely up to you.

AFAIK, you are now blaming Olympus for the fact that you have used your E-3 less than you wanted/planned, and then you call it a bad investment. Like buying an expensive motorcycle, not driving around on it because after all you don't like the wind in your hairs, and then blaming the company for its decrease in value over time.

I had made more than 60.000 photos with my E-3 before I upgraded to the E-5. And I keep using my E-3 regularly. Pretty good "investment" for me.

However, it is not a good idea anyway to see a camera body as an investment. The value of a system is in the lenses. The camera bodies are the "disposables". You use them as film, and they get outdated. You (should) know that when you buy into any system.

The trick is to get good lenses and to buy a camera body that is what you need, not more nor less. Buy only the quality of body that you are going to need. Most of the features are present in more modest models too.

If you make 1700 photos over three years and don't put your camera through hardship, you could have gotten an E-510 instead of an E-3. The "loss" would have been less.

Many people said at the time, that four thirds was a dead end system, but I didn't think so. I was wrong. I blame those Oly execs that are in jail now for my huge loss. I guess suing them is not realistic, although it feels like I should.

What you are experiencing has nothing to do with the system, or the "end of the system" or whatever. You are just selling a camera that has been replaced by a newer model, and those newer models are also available used.

Have you looked at prices for the day-before-yesterday camera bodies of other brands? Exactly the same.

Please stop blaming other people for your decisions in buying expensive toys.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

lots of images : http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

yescooling
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Re: This reasoning is just plain silly
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Apr 27, 2012

the above reply did move and impress me, heavily. I got my E620 nearly 18months with less than 3300 clicks. What a shame. Get out, shoot , shoot and shoot

Cheers

Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,265Gear list
Like?

Rawmeister wrote:

I would never have bought it since it would be a riciculous investment.

When have electronics EVER been a good investment? I paid over $1000 for a laptop a few years ago that is probably worth $100 today. Welcome to the digital age where nothing retains any value.

As far as buying something expensive you won't use much, that may have been a poor choice to make.
--

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +14 more
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,248Gear list
Like?
Got to agree with Roel...
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Apr 27, 2012

Photo equipment purchases are never an 'investment', unless you use the equipment to earn revenue -- then it is an investment.

One could consider a camera purchase an 'investment' in a hobby for one's own pleasure, but then the value of the investment is dependent upon the amount of enjoyment one gets out of the equipment.

Failure to use the equipment much, as it naturally depreciates in resale value is not the fault of Olympus, their corrupt board, or anyone else other than the purchaser.

Maybe the OP should consider keeping the camera and using it more to recoup some of that lost value.

God Bless,
Greg
http://www.imagismphotos.com
http://www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com
http://www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
W A Stewart
Contributing MemberPosts: 978Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stacey_K, Apr 27, 2012
-- hide signature --

W Alex Stewart

W A Stewart's gear list:W A Stewart's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +7 more
W A Stewart
Contributing MemberPosts: 978Gear list
Like?
Reserve prices are not a good idea

I don't know why my effort to reply came up empty. Sorry. I'll try again.

Go no reserve (NR), free shipping, with good photos of about 1000k, clear and forthcoming wording, listing on a Thursday evening for 10 days to get two weekends and end when the bidding is active.

You'll signal good faith, attract bargain hunters, and end up getting more money. I have sold many cameras and lenses this way, following the advice of one of the fatter Idiots or some such book that I got about eBay. Now that was a good investment.
--
W Alex Stewart

W A Stewart's gear list:W A Stewart's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +7 more
petrocan
Regular MemberPosts: 316
Like?

if you think selling yours E-3 for 476 on ebay you better listed on kijiji locally. Ebay has lot of fees, it's like 10% for ebay, and around 4.5 to 2.9 for paypal. My advice try local first if you can't sell it local and tire of waiting, then dump it on ebay.

doc1975111
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?

As an FYI, and maybe a price point of reference... about 3 weeks ago I was able to pick up an E-3, used by a professional photographer, in like new condition along with a like new condition Oly FL-50 flash unit, for $500 even.

Now granted this was on Craigslist, locally, but should give you an idea. I think for the body alone, 500 is about as high as I would offer.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads