NEX-7 Quick Report + Request for Lens Recommendation

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions
markpsf
Senior MemberPosts: 2,725
Like?
NEX-7 Quick Report + Request for Lens Recommendation
Apr 26, 2012

My "maiden voyage" for the NEX 7 was a trip to Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Monument Valley, and Grand Canyon.

I fell in love with the camera.

I don't understand the grumblings about menus, intuitive control, etc. After wrestling with a number of DSLRs and with the Panasonic MFT cameras, this seemed easy to me.

The 24mm Zeiss lens is a dream. I only took that and the 16mm, which was fine but a letdown compared to the Zeiss.

I also have the 50mm and the 55-200mm.

I'm selling my GH2 outfit which I'd barely used but was keeping for insurance (not an ad, I have a buyer!), so will have extra $

Any other lens recommendations for landscape photography appreciated, although I may just bank the money for when SONY comes through with new lenses.

Thanks.

Mark

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John Brewton
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-7 Quick Report + Request for Lens Recommendation
In reply to markpsf, Apr 26, 2012

Nikon adapter and Zeiss ZF.2 21 f2.8. Unfortunately the crop sensor is a bit of a disadvantage in landscape, but you can always stitch using perhaps a 35.
--
http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,945Gear list
Like?

markpsf wrote:

Any other lens recommendations for landscape photography appreciated, although I may just bank the money for when SONY comes through with new lenses.

In the rumor mill a zoom lens is going to be announced in the coming couple of weeks for e-mount. Seeing as there's a one-in-three chance it's a wide angle zoom (the other two are a standard zoom (non-G) and high magnification zoom), I'd keep my eyes open for that.

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,846Gear list
Like?

Hello,

I'm considering replacing my Panny GF-1/G2 kit with either something like the NEX7 or NEX5N to use as a light camera travel kit when I don't want to take my Canon 5DMKII or 7D kit. Shoot with L lenses.

I am also considering the Oly OM-D, and Fuji XPro 1. Looking for better IQ in a small camera travel kit.

A few questions since you are a former Panny MFT user:

IQ of NEX7 (or 5N) vs. Panny GH2? Where do you see the improvement. In high ISO?

Menu interface with the triple dial control in NEX7? Is it easy to get use to and set up?

Does the NEX 7 or NEX 5N have "image stablization"? I could not find the answer.

Are the Sony NEX lenses sharp? I sometimes print my "keepers" up to 13"x19".

What recommendation for a small travel kit lenses. Not more than 2 or 3 lens maximum. Kit lens plus ? I shoot typical tourist type travel pics on vacation. Landscapes when going to National Parks, etc. RAW+JPEG.

I plan on doing a 3 week trip to the Southwest later this year. Same places as you plus Zion, Canyon De Chelly, Mesa Verde, and Chaco Canyon.

I would love to see some of your pics posted here or on your flicker page of the trip as I have been to several of the places with exception of Capitol Reef. Last trip I took my 5D and 7D but it was darn hot, and the cameras and lenses became a burden to carry.

Kind regards and looking forward to seeing some pics of your recent trip.

markpsf wrote:

My "maiden voyage" for the NEX 7 was a trip to Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Monument Valley, and Grand Canyon.

I don't understand the grumblings about menus, intuitive control, etc. After wrestling with a number of DSLRs and with the Panasonic MFT cameras, this seemed easy to me.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +6 more
El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, Apr 26, 2012

Len_Gee wrote:

Menu interface with the triple dial control in NEX7? Is it easy to get use to and set up?

Yes, however, is easy to bump the dials accidentally, use the locking feature.

Does the NEX 7 or NEX 5N have "image stablization"? I could not find the answer.

Only optical stabilization in select lenses.

For the NEX-7, the Zeiss 24 and Sigma 30 are the sharpest you can get (a.k.a. very very sharp), the 50mm f/1.8 OSS is very close to them.

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,846Gear list
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Apr 26, 2012

Hello Matthew,

Thank you for answer the questions I have about the Sony NEX7 (5N).

I noticed in your website you shoot with manual focus lenses, mostly Nikeon. Very excellent pictures.

Unfortunately, I have arthritis in my focusing (left) hand, and onset of Parkinson's Disease, and must rely on AF lenses and image stablization to get reasonably sharp pictures.

You mentioned one can lock the tri-control dials. It it with a lever, or a on-off button on the body or on the dial(s). Is the lock fairly stiff to operate?

Finally, the Sigma lens you mentioned, what is the equivalent focal length in 35mm terms. I do not shoot sports, so just maybe a nice wide angle, and normal - mid zoom for my vacation type photography.

Thanks again for responding to my questions.

Regards.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +6 more
John Brewton
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, Apr 27, 2012

I am sorry for your physical limitations. Otherwise I would recommend Nikon or Leica lenses. Personally I would not have purchased this camera body if I couldn't have used the above named lenses. I think Sony's choices are poor. The Zeiss 24 is probably something special but is no good for distance shooting. Go figure. It is an enigma. I wish you well.
--
http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com

El Matadurr
Like?

Len_Gee wrote:

Hello Matthew,

Thank you for answer the questions I have about the Sony NEX7 (5N).

I noticed in your website you shoot with manual focus lenses, mostly Nikeon. Very excellent pictures.

Thank you sir.

Unfortunately, I have arthritis in my focusing (left) hand, and onset of Parkinson's Disease, and must rely on AF lenses and image stablization to get reasonably sharp pictures.

I'm very sorry to hear that. Using manual lenses is one of the selling point of the NEX system.

You mentioned one can lock the tri-control dials. It it with a lever, or a on-off button on the body or on the dial(s). Is the lock fairly stiff to operate?

You press and hold the FN button (next to shutter button), until the screen says "locked". Press and hold again to unlock.

Finally, the Sigma lens you mentioned, what is the equivalent focal length in 35mm terms. I do not shoot sports, so just maybe a nice wide angle, and normal - mid zoom for my vacation type photography.

Due to the 1.5x APS-C crop factor, the 30mm Sigma f/2.8 will have the FOV of a 45mm lens on 35mm film, as well as an equivalent depth of field to an f/4 lens (however, the actual amount of light hitting the sensor is still f/2.8).

If you have seen any of the recent threads on here, the lens mates very well with the NEX-7, wide open it is as sharp as you'll ever need it, and just gets better stopped down, thanks to the telecentric design of the elements.

As far as a mid-zoom, for now, I would recommend the 55-210 OSS. Great lens, especially at 210mm (uncommon with zooms), though it is "slow" compared to primes. In the rumor mill, another zoom lens in e-mount is going to be announced soon, it is unknown if it is going to be a wide angle zoom, another standard zoom, or a telephoto zoom, so you may want to wait.

Besides waiting for the lens to possibly be a wide-angle zoom, the 16mm f/2.8 is just okay. It takes great pictures at f/8. It wasn't designed with the N7's sensor in mind, so it has significant corner smearing at larger apertures. You may want to give the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 a look see, or possibly just the kit zoom lens, which, for what it is, is excellent.

Thanks again for responding to my questions.

Happy to.

markpsf
Like?

LEN:

SEE RESPONSES IN CAPS.

I'm considering replacing my Panny GF-1/G2 kit with either something like the NEX7 or NEX5N to use as a light camera travel kit when I don't want to take my Canon 5DMKII or 7D kit. Shoot with L lenses.

I am also considering the Oly OM-D, and Fuji XPro 1. Looking for better IQ in a small camera travel kit.

A few questions since you are a former Panny MFT user:

IQ of NEX7 (or 5N) vs. Panny GH2? Where do you see the improvement. In high ISO?

LOOKS BETTER RIGHT ACROSS THE BOARD, ESPECIALLY MEDIUM HIGH ISO. IN VERY HIGH ISO THE NEX 7 ISN'T A STAR EITHER.

I'M NOT A FAST LEARNER AND HATE MENU DRIVEN CAMERAS = MOST TODAY.

I'M OLD FASHIONED. THE CAMERA HANDLES SO WELL THAT IT BECOMES EASY TO MANIPULATE SETTINGS QUICKLY BETWEEN SHOTS. I DON'T KNOW THE WHOLE MENU YET, BUT QUICKLY GRADUATED FROM AUTO TO VARIED MANIPULATIONS OF SETTINGS.

NO IMAGE STABILIZATION. IT'S BUILT INTO THE TELEPHOTOS AND THE 50MM. I HAVE A SLIGHT HAND TREMOR AT TIMES BUT FOUND IT EASY TO SHOOT WITH THE SUPERFAST 24MM AND 16MM, RANGES WHERE IS ISN'T USUALLY NEEDED,

THE 24MM IS SUPER SHARP...PRO QUALITY. THE 16MM WILL BE SHARP ENOUGH BUT NOT IN LOW LIGHT AND ISN'T AS GOOD. I CAN'T SPEAK FOR THE OTHER LENSES.

What recommendation for a small travel kit lenses. Not more than 2 or 3 lens maximum. Kit lens plus ? I shoot typical tourist type travel pics on vacation. Landscapes when going to National Parks, etc. RAW+JPEG.

YOU NEED TO CHECK OTHER ENTRIES FOR THE ANSWER TO THAT. I ONLY TRAVEL SUPERLIGHT. IT'S A KEY REASON I BOUGHT THE CAMERA. I ONLY USED THE 24MM AND 16MM. NEXT TIME I'D BRING THE 50MM. I SEE NO REASON FOR A TELEPHOTO ZOOM FOR THESE VISTAS. I COULD HAVE DONE WELL WITH THE 24MM ALONE.

DON'T MISS MONUMENT VALLEY OR CAPITAL REEF IF POSSIBLE. BOTH ARE OFTEN LEFT OUT. CAPITAL REEF IS A GREAT PLACE.

I plan on doing a 3 week trip to the Southwest later this year. Same places as you plus Zion, Canyon De Chelly, Mesa Verde, and Chaco Canyon.

I would love to see some of your pics posted here or on your flicker page of the trip as I have been to several of the places with exception of Capitol Reef. Last trip I took my 5D and 7D but it was darn hot, and the cameras and lenses became a burden to carry.

I DON'T POST PICTURES HERE. I HATE MICRO-ANALYSIS OF PEOPLE'S PHOTOS. IF YOU E-MAIL ME DIRECTLY. I'LL BE HAPPY TO ADD YOU TO MY FLICKER LIST!

MY BEST,
Mark

Kind regards and looking forward to seeing some pics of your recent trip.

markpsf wrote:

Legaltrouble
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
In reply to markpsf, Apr 27, 2012

markpsf wrote:

The 24mm Zeiss lens is a dream. I only took that and the 16mm, which was fine but a letdown compared to the Zeiss.

I'm selling my GH2 outfit which I'd barely used but was keeping for insurance (not an ad, I have a buyer!), so will have extra $

Thanks.

Mark

The contax g 45 and cv 35/1.2 are both good landscape lenses. High contrast, good micro-contrast, and sharp enough to cut diamonds

JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?
In reply to markpsf, Apr 27, 2012

markpsf wrote:

Thanks.

Mark

I'm going to be taking the same vacation route in about two weeks. I just bought the Sony 18-200 mm. lens for this purpose. Also, later I'm hoping to take some wild life photos with it. Aparently you didn't take your 50-200 mm. with you, how come?

When I had my NEX-5, I also thought the menu was very intuitive and easy to cope with, that's one of the reason I up-graded to the NEX-7. Actually, I had a pre-order on the Oly OM-D, but when it arrived, I had a chance to fiddle around with it. I backed out on the deal simply because it seemed too complicated, while I was familier with the NEX operation.

markpsf
Like?
In reply to JPG, Apr 27, 2012

I didn't take a telephoto because this isn't major wildlife territory and I just wanted to do landscape shooting.

It will be different when I go to Glacier next year.

Choice of lenses for landscape work is really in the personal preference category.

M.

JPG wrote:

markpsf wrote:

Thanks.

Mark

I'm going to be taking the same vacation route in about two weeks. I just bought the Sony 18-200 mm. lens for this purpose. Also, later I'm hoping to take some wild life photos with it. Aparently you didn't take your 50-200 mm. with you, how come?

When I had my NEX-5, I also thought the menu was very intuitive and easy to cope with, that's one of the reason I up-graded to the NEX-7. Actually, I had a pre-order on the Oly OM-D, but when it arrived, I had a chance to fiddle around with it. I backed out on the deal simply because it seemed too complicated, while I was familier with the NEX operation.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads