Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,444Gear list
Like?
Re: Bythom: State of Mirrorless systems
In reply to SHood, Apr 26, 2012

SHood wrote:

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/are-we-there-yet.html

I am far from always in agreement with Hogan, but this time he makes a lot of sense.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lee Croft
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 26, 2012

I'm sure many of the people that own the other systems won't agree with this article but he pretty much summed up why I went to micro four thirds and not the others.

D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,294Gear list
Like?
For me, we're there

My Nikon D700 is in the mail, as I type this. On its way to a new owner. My remaining Nikon mount lenses, flash, etc are on ebay. I had a GH2 and G2 in the past but they never really made me comfortable enough to sell off my big, expense gear and only use a mirrorless system. The image quality was not close enough to the D700 for me. Now with my new OM-D Olympus, it is. I will avoid posting something like this in the Nikon forum because I don't want to get my head bit off and have someone tell me how stupid I was for selling the D700. Look, I can buy very high quality m4/3 lenses at a much lower price compared to full frame lenses for the D700. The OM-D paired with a great lens is superb. I've seen the results before I bought one and now I'm seeing it for myself with my own photos. All I can say is, it works for me. You can't deny the image quality. Seeing is believing and it is what it is. And it IS great. It's not the very same high ISO performance, but it's pretty darn close now.

That lupine photo I shot yesterday with the Oly OM-D 45mm f/1.8 tells me everything I need to know about the OM-D. I am sold.
http://www.openbloom.com/GEAR-Etc-1/Olympus-OM-D-E-M5/22627033_PhcrtS

P.S. I do own and use and love the Nikon V1 as well and I'm not selling that. It will remain my excellent little walk around camera. I have a few galleries stuffed full of great photos from that camera too....but the OM-D is a much better performer in several areas - image quality being one of them.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
szlevi
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?

SHood wrote:

Spot on, I'd say except I'm not convinced about Sony's high ISO vis-a-vis OM-D...
--

http://instagr.am/p/JvSMWFBYyl
(Now you cannot say I don't have a single pic! :P)

szlevi's gear list:szlevi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +7 more
D200_4me
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,294Gear list
Like?
In reply to szlevi, Apr 26, 2012

Hmmmm....I just looked at the comparison here on dpreview using the tool in the review for the NEX 7 and to my eyes, the OM-D example is a little cleaner (less color noise) and has just as much or a tad better detail.
--
My Photo Blog: http://openbloom.blogspot.com/
My Galleries: http://www.openbloom.com/galleries

D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Yohan Pamudji
Senior MemberPosts: 2,857
Like?

SHood wrote:

Agreed that m4/3 is the most coherent and complete system so far. Not that it's perfect but rather it gets the most right in the areas that matter the most, and in areas where it doesn't get top marks it's usually not far behind the best (noise performance, AF, etc.). I gambled on m4/3 when I jumped on board in 2009, and I'm glad to see that gamble pay off.

dgreene196
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
Re: For me, we're there
In reply to D200_4me, Apr 26, 2012

I'm in the same boat. I recognized that, while I loved my Nikon equipment, the size/weight of my equipment was leading me to avoid taking it with me with I left the house. I've got the E-M5 on order (ship soon!), and I picked ยต4/3 primarily because it's the most complete system available, and will likely continue to be the most complete system because 2 primary manufacturers are involved in lens and body creation (along with Samyang, Sigma, and Tokina at least announcing if not yet producing lenses). I just grew tired of waiting for my compact DX wide-angle primes from Nikon.

I will note that Samsung is making some really nice equipment, but, as Thom points out, their prices are higher than Sony/Panasonic/Olympus, the some of the technical aspects of their equipment doesn't match up with the quality of their lenses. While waiting for the E-M5, I keep thinking about the NX20 and the rumored 55 f/1.8 pancake. But then I remember, for the same price, I can get an E-M5 and the widely loved (and currently available) 45 f/1.8!

I'm a strong supporter of actual products vs. vaporware!

dgreene196's gear list:dgreene196's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,843Gear list
Like?

I like how he writes for the most part
not that I always agree with him, but I do find him 'interesting'
you almost want to see him pleased by one of the manufacturers

these arent the sorts of things one finds in reviews ...

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 15,630Gear list
Like?
I'm not sure which Fuji he's talking about....

but he lost me on the Fuji needing to redesign their jpeg output part. The X100 jpegs are superb, ask anyone who uses one.
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?

Yes, on the money. The GH2 is a bit boring, the OM-D a bit zany, but nothing is perfect and the lenses are there. The rest make no sense yet.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Everdog
Senior MemberPosts: 4,837
Like?
Why drive traffic to the idiot's site?

Sorry to use harsh words, but he is again either an idiot or trying to be "controversial" to get attention.

Look at his whole premise:

In short, little agreement on what mirrorless should be.

WTF????

Look at P&S cameras. You have cameras that are phones, you have ones that fit in your pocket, you have underwater cameras, you have people using iPads, you have larger super zooms close in size to small DSLRs, etc. I could go on and on. Does anyone make a big deal about the "little agreement on what P&S cameras should be? NO. Is there an upcomromised P&S? NO (not that we will ALL agree on).

It's all about choice and finding your niche. Not too hard to understand.

It would totally SUCK if all mirrorless cameras had the same size sensor, same size lenses, same size shape and same UI just because that meets Thom's subjective idea of a package that feels like an uncompromised camera system (to him).

I want choice. I want diversity. I even like multiple competing manufacturers.

sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,747Gear list
Like?
Re: Good summary of why I prefer m4/3

I understand the appeal of other mirrorless cameras/systems for some photographers and some types of usage. But generally I'd say Thom summed up my feelings regarding the current mirrorless offerings. I love my Nikon DSLR gear, but at this point if I had to pick a single camera system it would be m4/3. But that is partly because I am now the father of a toddler with another baby on the way. I carry a lot of baby/toddler related stuff (including the baby/toddler themselves). The fact that I can carry a m4/3 kit that I enjoy shooting with, and that produces excellent results, in a smaller & lighter bag than a comparable DSLR kit is huge for me right now. My wife definitely prefers my m4/3 gear. It's lighter and easier for her to operate, which is important since I want to be in some of the photos.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?
What's he smoking?

I'm sorry, but Thom's an idiot. "Compact derived controls (GH2, G)"? Maybe the G3, but the GH2 has arguably the best control interface of any mirrorless camera, and better than many DSLRs.
--

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,166Gear list
Like?
Samsung: WiFi is what the user really needs.

I'm not sure it is really a fair one-liner, but:

Samsung: WiFi is what the user really needs.

That did make me laugh. Nothing against Samsung, and he mentions they've got competent cameras, but in general the odd features that various manufactures put on cameras to "differentiate" them sometimes seems silly.

And I think he got a few things wrong along the way, some over generalizations (I kind of thought Fuji JPEGs were pretty good in the newest cameras). But I liked the general gist - give me a camera that does a good job at being a camera!

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +25 more
cmpatti
Regular MemberPosts: 160
Like?
Re: For me, we're there

I've made essentially the same judgment from the Canon side. In 2007, I decided to trade in my medium format film gear for the original 5D because I concluded that any differences in image quality at the sizes I print were outweighed by the benefits of the digital workflow. A year ago, I bought a E-PL2 for travel use and was very pleased with the camera's handling and the prints I was able to make of my images. With the coming of the E-M5 I've concluded that any IQ advantages of the DSLR are immaterial and don't outweigh the portability and lower cost of MTF. So I've sold off my Canon gear and used the funds to purchase the E-M5 (just arrived yesterday) and some additional lenses. I tend to hold on to equipment for a relatively long time, and I'm expecting that the E-M5 will satisfy my needs--travel, landscape, senic photography and family photos printed up to 16x20--for quite a while.

SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,747Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm not sure which Fuji he's talking about....
In reply to papillon_65, Apr 26, 2012

Yes, that was the one comment that didn't make any sense.

papillon_65 wrote:

but he lost me on the Fuji needing to redesign their jpeg output part. The X100 jpegs are superb, ask anyone who uses one.
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
bcalkins
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
Thanks

Thanks for the info and beautiful gallery of shots. Nice to hear from someone who has used both the GH2 and full frame cameras, and settled on M43.

bcalkins's gear list:bcalkins's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 26, 2012

Anders W wrote:

SHood wrote:

I am far from always in agreement with Hogan, but this time he makes a lot of sense.

I agree, this article really makes sense

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?

SHood wrote:

Thanks for showing

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads