My 10 year old EF 70-200 f/2.8 has stopped focusing.

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Henry Schobin Forum Pro • Posts: 12,780
My 10 year old EF 70-200 f/2.8 has stopped focusing.

Anyone here run into that problem and have an idea on repair cost from Canon?

-- hide signature --

Rethink your last comment.

timmer350 Contributing Member • Posts: 679
Re: My 10 year old EF 70-200 f/2.8 has stopped focusing.

My 12 year old 300mm F4 IS developed a problem with AF too... Canon factory service is charging me $280 to fix (and ship back). Yes, ouch, but worth it. And don't forget the cost of shipping (including insurance) to send it in.

T

Henry Schobin wrote:

Anyone here run into that problem and have an idea on repair cost from Canon?

-- hide signature --

Rethink your last comment.

-- hide signature --
 timmer350's gear list:timmer350's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Henry Schobin OP Forum Pro • Posts: 12,780
Re: My 10 year old EF 70-200 f/2.8 has stopped focusing.

Thanks timmer, I was thinking it might be in the $300 neighborhood. Ouch is right, but not having auto is aggravating. When I think about it, $300 over ten years is only $2.50 a month for maintenance….not counting the number of years going forward. I wish my cars and house were that cheap to maintain!!

I sent it in yesterday, now the waiting begins.................

timmer350 wrote:

My 12 year old 300mm F4 IS developed a problem with AF too... Canon factory service is charging me $280 to fix (and ship back). Yes, ouch, but worth it. And don't forget the cost of shipping (including insurance) to send it in.

T

Henry Schobin wrote:

Anyone here run into that problem and have an idea on repair cost from Canon?

-- hide signature --

Rethink your last comment.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Rethink your last comment.

Desifinado Contributing Member • Posts: 965
Re: My 10 year old EF 70-200 f/2.8 has stopped focusing.

My 10 year old 50mm 1.4 will autofocus only if I dial it out to infinity first. I assume it's the motor, or maybe just dirt. I've been setting it to infinity after each shot to set it up for the next, or just manual focus. :o/

Greynerd Senior Member • Posts: 5,519
Re: My 10 year old EF 70-200 f/2.8 has stopped focusing.

On the compact forum I doubt if there is much experience of anything lasting 10 years. This would apply to any brand I would think.

I will now be swamped by people using ancient Canon compacts from the beginning of time (or most probably ignored which is OK).

Henry Schobin wrote:

Anyone here run into that problem and have an idea on repair cost from Canon?

-- hide signature --

Rethink your last comment.

 Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +9 more
Desifinado Contributing Member • Posts: 965
Re: My 10 year old EF 70-200 f/2.8 has stopped focusing.

Greynerd wrote:

On the compact forum I doubt if there is much experience of anything lasting 10 years. This would apply to any brand I would think.

I will now be swamped by people using ancient Canon compacts from the beginning of time (or most probably ignored which is OK).

Here comes the first wave My compacts (fewer moving parts?) give me less trouble than my DSLRs/lenses. I'm still using my S3is almost every day, same as the day I bought it.

Greynerd Senior Member • Posts: 5,519
Re: My 10 year old EF 70-200 f/2.8 has stopped focusing.

Only 6 years but pretty good. I suppose an advantage is it is 6mp so it will have higher real resolution and low light performance than many modern compacts even though it has not got an X in the name. It got rave reviews when it came out.

Hope it lasts many more years.

Desifinado wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

On the compact forum I doubt if there is much experience of anything lasting 10 years. This would apply to any brand I would think.

I will now be swamped by people using ancient Canon compacts from the beginning of time (or most probably ignored which is OK).

Here comes the first wave My compacts (fewer moving parts?) give me less trouble than my DSLRs/lenses. I'm still using my S3is almost every day, same as the day I bought it.

 Greynerd's gear list:Greynerd's gear list
Olympus TG-310 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +9 more
Henry Schobin OP Forum Pro • Posts: 12,780
Re: My 10 year old EF 70-200 f/2.8 has stopped focusing.

I sent it in last week - Canon's estimated bill - $302.11 (with return shipping)

Should have it back, barring any unforeseen trouble, by the end of this week.

-- hide signature --

Rethink your last comment.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads