CS6 Upgrade Adobe are awkward

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions
Walter
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
CS6 Upgrade Adobe are awkward
Apr 26, 2012

I currently have CS5 on my PC... I want to upgrade to CS6. I will be fully switching over to Mac ....for now I have a PC computer and a Macbook pro laptop. In an idea world I would continue to use CS5 on my PC and upgrade to CS6 for my laptop.... Later I when the new iMac becomes available I would decommission CS5 and make the full change to CS6 on my Macs.

I got in touch with Adobe and they say I can't do that....no cross platform. In this modern age with all manner of platform use it would seem they have there head stuck....in the sand. The license says you can have one copy on your main computer and one on a laptop.

Anyone had a more favourable answer from Adobe....yes I can wait and change but I am not happy with the Adobe approach ...especially as I have faithfully upgraded since the beginning of time. I refuse to pay for two platforms.

Would appreciate any ideas....work arounds?

Walter

 Walter's gear list:Walter's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III
bobh121
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
Re: CS6 Upgrade Adobe are awkward
In reply to Walter, Apr 26, 2012

Are they saying you cant upgrade from a PC version to a MAC version? I use a PC. I have installed an upgrade version on a new system that didn't have PS installed and only had to supply the previous versions registration number with the upgrade version registration number. I wonder if Adobe thought you wanted to install the upgrade on both the MAC and PC. In that case you would need both versions. Seems to me if your upgrading you should be able to upgrade no matter what platform.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bobh121
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
Re: CS6 Upgrade Adobe are awkward
In reply to bobh121, Apr 26, 2012

Read through this thread on Adobe Forums and it seems it depends on who you talk to at Adobe. The end result is you should be able to do it if you talk to the right person.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/332157

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Walter
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
Re: CS6 Upgrade Adobe are awkward
In reply to bobh121, Apr 26, 2012

I want to keep CS5 on my PC computer and buy the upgrade to use on my Mac laptop. I can upgrade to Mac but they say I can't then use the CS5 on my PC.....

 Walter's gear list:Walter's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,122
Like?
Re: CS6 Upgrade Adobe are awkward
In reply to Walter, Apr 26, 2012

why would you think that was going to be do-able?

why would they give you a full Mac license for the cost of an upgrade ?

Walter wrote:

I want to keep CS5 on my PC computer and buy the upgrade to use on my Mac laptop. I can upgrade to Mac but they say I can't then use the CS5 on my PC.....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sue2404
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
Re: CS6 Upgrade Adobe are awkward
In reply to Howard Moftich, Apr 26, 2012

I recently upgraded both Lightroom and Photoshop from old PC versions to new Mac versions with no problem at all. That said I am not using the PC so my experience is slightly different. Seems to me - it's a tiny bit underhand - that if you were to not say anything about still using the PC version they would be fine allowing you to upgrade to Mac. Let's face it, nowadays people are getting PS etc in much, much more deceitful ways.
--
Sue

 Sue2404's gear list:Sue2404's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bobh121
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
Re: CS6 Upgrade Adobe are awkward
In reply to Sue2404, Apr 26, 2012

Some people have had no problem others have. This is from the Adobe Forums:

18. Feb 14, 2011 4:53 PM (in response to Jugemon76)
Re: Transfer License from PC to Mac

This thread was helpful as were a few other web pages I visited. I recently made the switch from PC to Mac. On my PC I was running CS4. I called Adobe Customer Service to asked about a cross-platform upgrade from PC CS4 to Mac CS5. No sweat. I got the upgrade for the standard upgrade price. They also told me that I could continue using CS4 on my PC. I did inquire about deactivating it and providing a letter that I would not use the old version. But they lady I talked with said that was no necessary and I was free to use the CS4 version on my PC and the CS5 on the Mac. So I'm a happy camper. Love the Mac. It took a little bit of getting use to the Mac version of Photoshop but not a whole lot. Just a few quirky differences.

It shouldn't matter if your running PS5 on a PC and PS6 on a Mac. I ran PS4 on one PC then built another one and bought the upgrade to PS5 and installed on the new PC. So I had PS4 running on one and PS5 on the other. That's no different than running one version on a PC and the upgrade on a Mac. When you call I would tell them you want to TRANSFER your license.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Walter
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
Re: CS6 Upgrade Adobe are awkward
In reply to Howard Moftich, Apr 26, 2012

Howard Moftich wrote:
why would you think that was going to be do-able?

why would they give you a full Mac license for the cost of an upgrade ?

Walter wrote:

I want to keep CS5 on my PC computer and buy the upgrade to use on my Mac laptop. I can upgrade to Mac but they say I can't then use the CS5 on my PC.....

Howard they have told me I can upgrade to Mac....that is not the issue. The issue is using the software I have paid for as cross platform just like you can on Lightroom 4.

 Walter's gear list:Walter's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 21,017Gear list
Like?
Bobh121 is correct (nt)
In reply to Walter, Apr 26, 2012
 Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Walter
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
Re: CS6 Upgrade Adobe are awkward
In reply to bobh121, Apr 26, 2012

bobh121 wrote:

Some people have had no problem others have. This is from the Adobe Forums:

18. Feb 14, 2011 4:53 PM (in response to Jugemon76)
Re: Transfer License from PC to Mac

This thread was helpful as were a few other web pages I visited. I recently made the switch from PC to Mac. On my PC I was running CS4. I called Adobe Customer Service to asked about a cross-platform upgrade from PC CS4 to Mac CS5. No sweat. I got the upgrade for the standard upgrade price. They also told me that I could continue using CS4 on my PC. I did inquire about deactivating it and providing a letter that I would not use the old version. But they lady I talked with said that was no necessary and I was free to use the CS4 version on my PC and the CS5 on the Mac. So I'm a happy camper. Love the Mac. It took a little bit of getting use to the Mac version of Photoshop but not a whole lot. Just a few quirky differences.

It shouldn't matter if your running PS5 on a PC and PS6 on a Mac. I ran PS4 on one PC then built another one and bought the upgrade to PS5 and installed on the new PC. So I had PS4 running on one and PS5 on the other. That's no different than running one version on a PC and the upgrade on a Mac. When you call I would tell them you want to TRANSFER your license.

Helpful ..thanks. I have always tried play it straight when it comes to the licenses...

Walter

 Walter's gear list:Walter's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
HB WOODY
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
Re: CS6 Upgrade Adobe are awkward
In reply to Walter, Apr 26, 2012

I think the cloud is going to be your answer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bill Heiser
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
Re: Bobh121 is correct (nt)
In reply to Steve Bingham, Apr 27, 2012

I went through this process recently myself. My goal was to migrate to the Mac from the PC, and ultimately to upgrade from CS5 to CS6. I figured it would be cleanest to migrate to the Mac first, then deal with the upgrade. I opened a support case, and although the process took over 2 weeks, it did get done.

During this process I was told that they could not proceed with the transfer until I deleted the copy from the PC. So now I have CS5 on the Mac and no Photoshop on the PC. From what I'm reading above, it would be OK to re-install CS5 on the PC once I've upgraded to CS6 on the Mac. Hmmm... that would be convenient.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Samare
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Bobh121 is correct (nt)
In reply to Bill Heiser, Oct 10, 2012

Good to hear that at least they allowed you to switch to mac.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads