Professional photographers using M43 - two examples

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 2,967Gear list
Like?
Professional photographers using M43 - two examples
Apr 26, 2012

Amos is a friend I met through his sister, a journalist I used to work with at the New Zealand Herald. He took these shots for the Guardian using a GH2, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, 45/1.8 and 7-14.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/iran-blog/gallery/2012/apr/16/iran-kurdistan-palangan-village-amos-chapple

This guy is not a friend of mine. I found his website via a link from 43rumours (dot) com, but it's an interesting insight into the fears that a pro had in moving to m43:

http://blog.giuliosciorio.com/?p=550

Can anybody else link to some pros using M43?

Cheers,
S

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +8 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
don_van_vliet
Contributing MemberPosts: 618
Like?
Re: Professional photographers using M43 - two examples
In reply to NZ Scott, Apr 26, 2012

I can't believe no one has commented yet. Are we too hung up on pixel-peeping corner sharpness at ISO3200?

Nice photos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,176Gear list
Like?
In reply to don_van_vliet, Apr 26, 2012

I had already pointed out the Guardian use of GH2 images in an earlier thread though I wasn't aware then that it was a whole set of GH2 images that The Guardian have used and not just one image.

The other article is interesting indeed.

I guess not much can detract from OM-D fever at the moment - this forum is mainly a gear oriented one after all.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 +1 more
nyckenj
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?

Damian McGillicuddy seems to get bandied about here every now and then.

NSFW, as it's glamour and some nudes. He's pretty vocal about using M43 and professes his love for the OM-D along with other Oly M43. Seems to have some inside scoops with Oly (new lenses, etc.)

http://www.damianmcgillicuddy.com/journal/

nyckenj's gear list:nyckenj's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Keenasmustard
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?

Wow I think they are fantastic! As always it's not only e camera and lens it's the talent behind them!

Robertj_298
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?

Not to burst your bubble but you give 2 examples out of how many thousands of professional photographers? Do a search of the top professional photographers and let us know how many use four thirds. Anyone can call themselves a professional but I bet if you look at the statistics by and large most photographers that earn a living at it use Canon or Nikon full frame cameras

Richie S
Regular MemberPosts: 437
Like?
In reply to Robertj_298, Apr 26, 2012

I think you miss the point. To me it would seem to be that 4/3 CAN deliver professional quality results, not that thousands of pro snappers are reaching for the latest oly or panny.

don_van_vliet
Contributing MemberPosts: 618
Like?
Calm down dear!

I don't think anyone is suggesting that all pros use M43. I think the reason these links are interesting is because most people would not normally expect pros to use M43. It's a nice illustration of how capable the little cameras are in the right hands.

Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,176Gear list
Like?
Re: Calm down dear!
In reply to don_van_vliet, Apr 26, 2012

exactly

don_van_vliet wrote:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that all pros use M43. I think the reason these links are interesting is because most people would not normally expect pros to use M43. It's a nice illustration of how capable the little cameras are in the right hands.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 +1 more
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 2,967Gear list
Like?

Robertj_298 wrote:

Not to burst your bubble but you give 2 examples out of how many thousands of professional photographers? Do a search of the top professional photographers and let us know how many use four thirds. Anyone can call themselves a professional but I bet if you look at the statistics by and large most photographers that earn a living at it use Canon or Nikon full frame cameras

::Why don't you do a search yourself? There's a good boy.

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +8 more
gulffish
Senior MemberPosts: 2,132Gear list
Like?

NZ Scott wrote:

Robertj_298 wrote:

::Why don't you do a search yourself? There's a good boy.

Well said and spot on!
--
Kirk

gulffish
Senior MemberPosts: 2,132Gear list
Like?

Scott, great post! The shots from Kurdistan are terrific and the article is very enlightening and I think makes the point well that M43 cameras can produce results that are appropriate for professional applications, PP fearks not withstanding. Output at 240dpi works reguardless of how you get to it, FF or M43. When kit size matters it would seem M43 wins hands down.
--
Kirk

Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?

People were using 43 DSLRs in professional capacities before, so i dont see what the big deal is.

NZ Scott wrote:

Amos is a friend I met through his sister, a journalist I used to work with at the New Zealand Herald. He took these shots for the Guardian using a GH2, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, 45/1.8 and 7-14.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/iran-blog/gallery/2012/apr/16/iran-kurdistan-palangan-village-amos-chapple

This guy is not a friend of mine. I found his website via a link from 43rumours (dot) com, but it's an interesting insight into the fears that a pro had in moving to m43:

Cheers,
S

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,529Gear list
Like?
Nice strawman there / Master of the obvious

I don't think anyone has claimed (or that anyone serious would claim or think) that the majority of pros use m43.

Jack of all strawmen, master of the obvious...

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
SLOtographer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,885Gear list
Like?
Also add Kirk Tuck, Luminous landscape

The GH2 and now EM5 are good enough for a lot of applications. More or less the IQ differences are small between comparable systems to where features and ergo matter more. M43 (or crop dslr) are fine for many types of "pro" shoots. Of course they are not always the best tools, and that gets lost on some trolls here and they go off... Final output size and format also plays a role in gear choice. Anyways M43 has come of age.

-- hide signature --

SLOtographer

"If we limit our vision to the real world, we will forever be fighting on the minus side of things, working only too make our photographs equal to what we see out there, but no better." -- Galen Rowell

SLOtographer's gear list:SLOtographer's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?

Completely blew my mind those shots from The Guardian. Definitively worthy cameras and lenses that can provide enough quality for professional needs.

NZ Scott wrote:

Cheers,
S

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
-------------------------

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
Lisa O
Senior MemberPosts: 2,055Gear list
Like?

http://www.davidhwells.com/

David is a stock photographer and educator I'm pretty sure he uses Olympus M4/3 exclusively now.
--
see about me in my profile for more info
http://500px.com/LisaOsta
http://www.flickr.com/photos/losta

Lisa O's gear list:Lisa O's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +36 more
Robertj_298
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Apr 26, 2012

LOL I'm calm as could be. Seems like you've taken this the wrong way. I'm not putting down the system I'm just saying in the right hands just about any camera could be used professionally. Its not the camera but the person behind the camera

Yohan Pamudji
Senior MemberPosts: 2,857
Like?

NZ Scott wrote:

Thanks for the link. Good to see Amos getting the exposure he deserves.

danijel973
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?

Yes, but especially today the difference between "professional" and other equipment is rather thin, having in mind that Pen has resolution and overall image quality that matches top of the line professional 35mm dSLR of a few years ago. So if image quality alone is the requirement, m43 will do just fine.

Of course, m43 is still one trick pony, sort of, and it would not be very wise to rely on it as your only camera for professional work.

danijel973's gear list:danijel973's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads