If someone posts my image on Facebook, does FB now own it?

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions
glasswave
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,965
Like?
If someone posts my image on Facebook, does FB now own it?
Apr 26, 2012

The way I understand it, is that FB claims the rights to distribute/sell any pic that is posted on its site. Following that logic, then if they wanted to sell a pic that was posted on the interwebs, all they would have to do is have someone upload it and then FB could sell it to any comer.

How can they get away with this?

-- hide signature --

There is simply too much beauty in the world to photograph it all, but I'm trying.

theatrus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,335Gear list
Like?
Re: If someone posts my image on Facebook, does FB now own it?
In reply to glasswave, Apr 26, 2012

In order to allow Facebook to do that, you would need to consent to that. A third party could not consent without owning the copyright.

Good luck.
--
Warning: The internet is filled with one sided views. Stay objective.

theatrus's gear list:theatrus's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RobSouthOz
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
In reply to glasswave, Apr 28, 2012

Read the Terms of use for Facebook, that will tell you.

In short (last time I read it), no, they don't own it, but you have given them permission to use it which may be impossible to revoke.
--
Cheers, Rob.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsouthoz/

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,175
Like?

glasswave wrote:

The way I understand it, is that FB claims the rights to distribute/sell any pic that is posted on its site. Following that logic, then if they wanted to sell a pic that was posted on the interwebs, all they would have to do is have someone upload it and then FB could sell it to any comer.

You must grant a photo hosting website certain capabilities for them to simply display your photos over the web. No they cannot sell your images. They have to be able to resize and compress your photos (modify). Once you delete your facebook photos, they no longer have a license to use your image.

How can they get away with this?

Chill.

glasswave
Like?
In reply to RobSouthOz, Apr 28, 2012

How can someone else give FB permission to use my copyrighted photo? I don't even have a FB account.

I guess I can get after them to pull it.

RobSouthOz wrote:

Read the Terms of use for Facebook, that will tell you.

In short (last time I read it), no, they don't own it, but you have given them permission to use it which may be impossible to revoke.
--
Cheers, Rob.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsouthoz/

-- hide signature --

There is simply too much beauty in the world to photograph it all, but I'm trying.

Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 11,333
Like?

glasswave wrote:

How can someone else give FB permission to use my copyrighted photo? I don't even have a FB account.

They can't - they've violated the FB terms and conditions of use by posting it.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Roger Krueger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,750
Like?
The same way they can give someone permission to drive your car

That is, they can't legally. Their giving permission they don't legally have the power to give binds you to nothing.

That said, someone likes your photo enough to post it, tread gently on them. By all means make 'em give you a photo credit, but beyond that, unless it's taking food off your table, accept the ego stroke graciously and move on.

glasswave
Like?
Re: I don't really mind if the image is shared...
In reply to Roger Krueger, Apr 28, 2012

....I just don't want it used commercially, w/o my permission/compensation. I have read of FB doing this before w/o permission and then refusing compensation after the fact.

Roger Krueger wrote:

That is, they can't legally. Their giving permission they don't legally have the power to give binds you to nothing.

That said, someone likes your photo enough to post it, tread gently on them. By all means make 'em give you a photo credit, but beyond that, unless it's taking food off your table, accept the ego stroke graciously and move on.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads