NEX-7 with MF *SLR* lenses - how does it go?

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions
scott_mcleod
Contributing MemberPosts: 936
Like?
NEX-7 with MF *SLR* lenses - how does it go?
Apr 26, 2012

Most of the legacy MF lenses that folks seem to be using on the NEXs are RF lenses which is fair enough as they're much more compact, have a shorter flange focal distance, etc., but from what I've read and seen in samples, the 16MP chip in the C-3/5N appears to be much more tolerant of the ray angles from RF lenses than the 24MP sensor in the NEX-7.

My question is this: is there anyone who has used a range of legacy (i.e. not Sony AF lenses with the adapter) SLR lenses on the NEX-7, and if so, how did they perform?

I greatly prefer the NEX-7's form factor with the built-in high-res EVF to the other models; the extra sensor resolution is nice but for my purposes not a big deal. I have a collection of Minolta MC/MD lenses (24, 28, 35, 45, 50 and 85) and a Novoflex NEX-MIN adapter (long story), but the NEX-7 body is more than twice the price of a NEX-5 body, which if it works with RF lenses is sure to work with SLR lenses, but I'm not a fan of the handling or lack of a built-in EVF. If the -7 works well with retrofocus SLR glass then it would probably be worth it (for me) but over a grand is a lot of money for an experiment.

If someone could shed some light (so to speak) on how the -7 performs with SLR lenses (also from a manual-focus usability point of view) I'd sure appreciate it. If the results are similar to those from RF lenses then my adapter may be going on ebay...

TIA,
Scott

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-7 with MF *SLR* lenses - how does it go?
In reply to scott_mcleod, Apr 26, 2012

most if not all MF SLR lenses work fine with NEX-7.
FD 200 2.8:

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wwwOKCOMEONcom
Regular MemberPosts: 427
Like?
In reply to kev777zero, Apr 26, 2012

kev777zero wrote:

most if not all MF SLR lenses work fine with NEX-7.
FD 200 2.8:

chromatic aberration is very serious
it is noitceable without enlarging the photos
(the 1st photo)

El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,945Gear list
Like?

scott_mcleod wrote:

I greatly prefer the NEX-7's form factor with the built-in high-res EVF to the other models; the extra sensor resolution is nice but for my purposes not a big deal. I have a collection of Minolta MC/MD lenses (24, 28, 35, 45, 50 and 85) and a Novoflex NEX-MIN adapter (long story), but the NEX-7 body is more than twice the price of a NEX-5 body, which if it works with RF lenses is sure to work with SLR lenses, but I'm not a fan of the handling or lack of a built-in EVF. If the -7 works well with retrofocus SLR glass then it would probably be worth it (for me) but over a grand is a lot of money for an experiment.

Yep, 7 has no problem with SLR glass, and takes full frame (aka film) glass like a champ.

If someone could shed some light (so to speak) on how the -7 performs with SLR lenses (also from a manual-focus usability point of view) I'd sure appreciate it. If the results are similar to those from RF lenses then my adapter may be going on ebay...

They perform very well. Purple fringing may be more evident, but that's just due to the pixel density, and only at the largest apertures (on MY lenses, yours may be corrected well wide open).
Just a few:
Nikon 50mm f/2 AI

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E-series (note the crazy bad purple fringing at f/1.8, I changed the white balance to make it blend better haha)

Nikon 105mm f/1.8 AI-s

Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AI-s ED

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Charlie Lab
Regular MemberPosts: 348Gear list
Like?

Works brilliantly with old Minolta lenses. $14 adapter ("Fotga" from HK via eBay) works great. I have a few Minolta zooms in the bag I don't use, but I regularly use Minolta 35mm, 58mm, 105mm, 70-210 zoom, and 2x macro-focusing tele-converter, all work great.

I'm pretty sure your 85mm won't work though, so you might as well send it to me...

Taken with Minolta 135mm:

Crop of face to show detail:

I love these old lenses (all of mine date from the 60's and 70's) and shoot them 90+% of the time over the native lenses.

-- hide signature --

If you take a great photograph, I really don't care whether it came from a Leica or smartphone. Just share it.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 5,849
Like?

scott_mcleod wrote:

Most of the legacy MF lenses that folks seem to be using on the NEXs are RF lenses

That is not my impression. I think most of the manual lenses being used are from film SLRs. After all, these are much more common than rangefinder lenses.

which is fair enough as they're much more compact, have a shorter flange focal distance, etc., but from what I've read and seen in samples, the 16MP chip in the C-3/5N appears to be much more tolerant of the ray angles from RF lenses than the 24MP sensor in the NEX-7.

This is a problem with wide angle RF lenses. Longer ones are OK.

My question is this: is there anyone who has used a range of legacy (i.e. not Sony AF lenses with the adapter) SLR lenses on the NEX-7, and if so, how did they perform?

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 5,849
Like?
In reply to wwwOKCOMEONcom, Apr 26, 2012

http://wwwOKCOMEONcom wrote:

chromatic aberration is very serious
it is noitceable without enlarging the photos
(the 1st photo)

You can indeed see some on the out-of-focus neck of the flamingo on the right. I think you would see exactly the same on film - that is, it is a fault of the lens.

Colour fringes on out-of-focus edges are common.

eths
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?

A few examples with the Nex-7 and various (mostly Nikon) lenses can be found here.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1965669396/albums
http://500px.com/GangrenousGreen

eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
gowebgo
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?

I love the NEX 7 with minolta lenses.

Marvin Doering
Senior MemberPosts: 1,571Gear list
Like?
Not all
In reply to kev777zero, Apr 26, 2012

4/3 lenses don't work.
--
MRD

Marvin Doering's gear list:Marvin Doering's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-620 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
HeavyDuty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
Like?

scott_mcleod wrote:

Most of the legacy MF lenses that folks seem to be using on the NEXs are RF lenses which is fair enough as they're much more compact, have a shorter flange focal distance, etc., but from what I've read and seen in samples, the 16MP chip in the C-3/5N appears to be much more tolerant of the ray angles from RF lenses than the 24MP sensor in the NEX-7.

TIA,
Scott

I have adapter for both OM and Nikon F to NEX. I'm finding I prefer the handling of my smaller, lighter OM lenses on my NEX-7 over my Nikkors, and I'm very happy with the results I'm getting.

I actually have very little interest in adapting my RF glass to the NEX-7.
--
Ken in Illinois
http://www.pbase.com/kjford

El Matadurr
Like?
Re: Not all
In reply to Marvin Doering, Apr 26, 2012

Marvin Doering wrote:

4/3 lenses don't work.
--
MRD

I could have sworn they did, but just heavily vignetted depending on the lens? This isn't surprising since those lenses were designed to cover a much smaller sensor.

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,600Gear list
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Apr 26, 2012

El Matadurr wrote:

Marvin Doering wrote:

4/3 lenses don't work.
--
MRD

I could have sworn they did, but just heavily vignetted depending on the lens? This isn't surprising since those lenses were designed to cover a much smaller sensor.

you would be 100% correct Matt. Same as m4/3 lenses. Thats what I use for the macro shots and no vignetting on the 45-200mm

All the best.

Danny.
m4/3 macro
http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

m4/3 feathered flying gadgets
http://www.macrophotos.com/avian/avian.html

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,244Gear list
Like?

I got my NEX-7 for lenses that don't adapt to EF due to registration distance,
Ex. Canon FD, Minolta, Konica, & RF glass.

I may jump ship if a FF mirrorless is released soon, so I haven't got all the adapters I want yet.

So far the experience with the 7 has been great, it's a nice compact unit(the 7 & SLR lens) for taking everywhere.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to nzmacro, Apr 27, 2012

nzmacro wrote:

El Matadurr wrote:

Marvin Doering wrote:

4/3 lenses don't work.
--
MRD

you would be 100% correct Matt. Same as m4/3 lenses. Thats what I use for the macro shots and no vignetting on the 45-200mm

Thanks for the confirmation. Added that to the "fact pool".

http://matthewdurrphotography.wordpress.com

scott_mcleod
Contributing MemberPosts: 936
Like?
Thanks for all the replies!
In reply to scott_mcleod, Apr 27, 2012

Thank you all for your opinions, examples and links!

This setup looks like it would indeed work well for the type of lenses and shooting I have in mind - except now I have to save up for a NEX-7...

Best regards,
Scott

John Brewton
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?
What I use

I use the NEX-7 with Nikon and Leica M adapters. Both work as normal. You can't use WA RF glass on the Sony due to ray angle problems. I use a 50 and a 75 Leica. No problems with Nikon WA.
--
http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com

jack scholl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,553Gear list
Like?

Just got the Fotodiox G adapter for the 7 last night and these are the first shots.

Hopefully this will allow a patient wait until Sony gets a WA zoom and fast 35.

Jack
--
http://www.pbase.com/jrs40

jack scholl's gear list:jack scholl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +4 more
nidri
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?

Leica R Summicron 50/2 works well.

Very cheesy shot of my father:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads