zeiss 15 vs zeiss 21

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions
SmittenHobbyist
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
zeiss 15 vs zeiss 21
Apr 26, 2012

why would you select the 21 over the 15?

filter size?

Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?
Re: zeiss 15 vs zeiss 21
In reply to SmittenHobbyist, Apr 26, 2012

i choose neither and would get the Nikon 14-24/2.8

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SmittenHobbyist
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
In reply to Jogger, Apr 26, 2012

meh

kinda boring
don't you think?

PatFahey
Regular MemberPosts: 424
Like?

SmittenHobbyist wrote:

filter size?

Rent - Try - Decide.

Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,600
Like?

I already have the Zeiss 21 and 14-24G, also the Samyang 14, the only reason I don't have the Zeiss 15 is i don't have $3000 pocket change yet.

Rumle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,327Gear list
Like?

I'm some one who shoots around 90% of my work within the 24-50 area. 24mm being where I begin to think its just tooooo wide but once in a while I'd be thinking I would do great with a wider for some rare situation and that would be the 21mm. a landscape-photographer surely will have another opinion, I'm a photojournalist.

On another note, currently I'm deciding on a wide for video work and I leaning over to the 18mm 3.5 side. having tested it, corners are way to distorted for my liking for stills but for video it might be perfect for me.

I'd imagine the key difference on 15mm to 21mm is that with 15mm you get the ultimate wide but you lack the ability to be able to select focus since anything put up front would be extremely distorted. with the 21mm you still get a wide angle and it has pleasing depth of field. but a need for even wider than 21mm makes the 15mm the obvious choice.

Rumle's gear list:Rumle's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +15 more
marco1974
Senior MemberPosts: 1,518Gear list
Like?
Focal length

Sorry if it sounds obvious, but that's what should be driving the choice.

15 and 21 are VERY different focal lengths. The former is an EXTREME wide angle, which is VERY hard to put to good (i.e. non-gimmick) use, while the latter is still VERY wide for most uses, but considerably more versatile.

Marco

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
oneANT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,454
Like?

SmittenHobbyist wrote:

filter size?

Any 21mm owner like me is likely oogling the 15. The price of the 15 could also be reflected by need, its expensive and so its FL must be of use. Cityscapes/landscapes very deep scenes and yet it could still be used for dramatic close focus and street scenes. I already shoot the 21 as a general purpose lens, at 15mm I'd be pushing it but can think of places it would be of use and would likely need to carry it on a 2nd body because its a lens at the extreme end and not what you would regard as general purpose.

Ant.

djmm
Regular MemberPosts: 137
Like?
In reply to oneANT, Apr 26, 2012

I am not sure if I would like to go 15mm though, as it sounds too specific purpose. Whereas 21mm you can still pass it as general walk around lens... although it's more like journalistic style shots.

flbrit
Senior MemberPosts: 2,709Gear list
Like?

I now only shoot FX, I notice you post a lot on the DX forum.

When I had my D300, the most used lens was the Tokina 12-24 f4 which gave a field of view of 18-36 on DX. Great lens and worth considering for wide fans using DX. Sigma make some nice DX wides as well.

The reason I say this is not to go against Zeiss (I have two Zeiss, the 18mm and 21 mm) but the main reason to buy the 15 is for full frame coverage on FX.

Try this link to Nikon Lens simulator. Not completly accurate but a good representation of what you can expect with regard to angle of view on DX and FX.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/

Regards

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
PatMann
Contributing MemberPosts: 726
Like?
For architecture and interiors

You can never have enough angle for architecture and interiors to get the feeling of space and avoid keystone perspective distortion in tight urban spaces and large and high interiors like atria, churches, etc.

It takes 18mm to give you a 90-degree horizontal angle, just enough to take in everyone and everything in an entire rectangular room by shooting from one corner in landscape format.

15mm makes it wide enough to comfortably get all the walls as well.
--
Pat

Dean Baird
Contributing MemberPosts: 555Gear list
Like?
In reply to SmittenHobbyist, Apr 28, 2012

The Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 is attractive to me because of its solid optics and the fact that it can take a screw-on filter. I like shooting in places like Yellowstone, where water spray is high in silica content. As awesome as the Nikon 14-24 might be, I'm uncomfortable shooting with a naked front element. Clean wides with a protected front? I'm saving my Benjamins. Gonna need a stack of em.
--
Dean
Switching to Nikon D800 from Canon EOS 60D
PowerShot S3, Casio EX-F1, FH100
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phyz/collections/
Casio EX-F-One - http://marge.ragesw.com/~phyzorg/highspeed/

Dean Baird's gear list:Dean Baird's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads