Portland Head Lighthouse - Which One?

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions
Peteo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,545Gear list
Like?
Portland Head Lighthouse - Which One?
Apr 26, 2012

Took a business trip out east and was able to get up early to get some photos of the Portland Headlamp Lighthouse. Which of these two do you like best for framing? If you haven't been their and are in the area I highly recommend it.

Thanks,

Peteo

Number 1

Number 2

Peteo's gear list:Peteo's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +8 more
kkennally
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: Portland Head Lighthouse - Which One?
In reply to Peteo, Apr 26, 2012

Nice pictures of the head light....
I live here all year long!

kkennally's gear list:kkennally's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P2 Canon EOS 60D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
schoe05
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?

I really like number 2. The extra rocks in the foreground give more of a "dangerous" coastline feel

CBuckeye
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
If I can't say "both", I'll say #2...

I like photo 1 with the larger view of the lighthouse, but it has two small things that I think distract from the photo: the buoy out in the distance is much larger than in photo #2, and there is a visible chunk of rock at the right lower corner that keeps pulling my eye away from the light & beautiful sky.

Photo #2 with more rocks does a better job of conveying the dangerous Maine shore, and the buoy is not obtrusive. I also like how the clouds streak towards the center of the photo like a ray of light might stream from the lighthouse. I think that lines up better in shot #2 as well.

Thanks for posting both. There's a pretty good lobster pound near "Two Lights", not too far from Portland. I don't know if it's open yet this year or not.
--
Chris

kkennally
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: If I can't say "both", I'll say #2...
In reply to CBuckeye, Apr 26, 2012

CBuckeye wrote:

Thanks for posting both. There's a pretty good lobster pound near "Two Lights", not too far from Portland. I don't know if it's open yet this year or not.
--
Chris

That would be "The Lobster shack" In Cape Elizabeth (two lights park)

kkennally's gear list:kkennally's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P2 Canon EOS 60D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +6 more
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,478
Like?
#2 (nt)
-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

chris gunn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,706
Like?
#2 is more dramatic {nt}
-- hide signature --

cheers!

Gunn

-- Get a big lens and get closerâ„¢.

Peteo
Like?
In reply to kkennally, Apr 26, 2012

Thanks everyone. You guys pointed out the obvious that I missed after to many hours of messing around with them. Now after a good nights rest and fresh look upon it I agree number 2 is the better choice.

I see what you mean Buckeye regarding the distracting shrub in number one, it really does distract.

Thanks again everyone.

Peteo

Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +8 more
CBuckeye
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Re: If I can't say "both", I'll say #2...
In reply to kkennally, Apr 26, 2012

Yes! That's the one. People were lined up out the door when we were there a few summers ago. The food and the setting were worth the wait though.
--
Chris

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,445Gear list
Like?
#2 tell more of the story

I love both, but #2 is more dramatic and gives us information regarding the remoteness of the location and the dangerous rocks requiring the lighthouse.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
SRT201
Senior MemberPosts: 1,932
Like?
Both great shots - alignment?

They are both great shots. I agree generally with the choice of #2 but #1 allows more detail for the distant light house which I think is visually interesting. It's hard to say until viewed in a larger print but the tiny distant light house might be distracting in #2.

I'm assuming these are HDR stacks. There appear to be some alignment errors especially visible around the light house. Could be CA also. Somewhat hard to see at this small scale.

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

cr0100
Contributing MemberPosts: 733
Like?
Re: Both great shots - alignment?
In reply to SRT201, Apr 26, 2012

I would have to say that #1 is preferable because the lighthouse is sharper. I like the composition of #2, but it looks like you've stacked some layers and there is some misalignment which wrecks it.

Peteo
Like?
In reply to SRT201, Apr 27, 2012

I agree but there was no stacking, I did some heavy post processing to try and lighten it up a bit without losing out on the sunrise color. I believe that with the heavier saturation is what's causing it.

I did take some bracket photos to play with HDR but I'm not sure what is the best software. I downloaded the free trial of Photomatix but is seems limited. Maybe the purchased version offers more. Anyone know anything about this?

Peteo

SRT201
Like?
In reply to Peteo, Apr 27, 2012

Since these aren't stacked HDR's the only thing it could be is CA. You should try to do some manual CA correction working from the RAW files. You did shoot it in RAW didn't you.

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

Peteo
Like?
In reply to SRT201, Apr 27, 2012

Yep, shot in raw. So what's the best way to correct that? I'm pretty much a novice with the post processing.

Thanks,

Peteo

SRT201
Like?
In reply to Peteo, Apr 27, 2012

You can correct Lateral CA in Pentax's software.

If you don't want to mess with that you could actually stick the RAW file back on your SD card and process the RAW file with CA corrections on-camera by "developing" the RAW into another JPEG. You can find this in your manual under "Developing RAW Images" - page 233 (K-x), page 271 (K-5).

You can get better results from the PC software however.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads