X10 with modified sensor: Orb results

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions
Richard Butler
dpreview AdminPosts: 1,969
Like?
X10 with modified sensor: Orb results
Apr 26, 2012

We've just been sent an X10 with the promised modified sensor and have tested it for orbs:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/26/Fujifilm-X10-white-orb-update

Our early impressions are that there isn't an obvious change in other aspects of image quality, but we're still checking on that.

Richard - dpreview.com

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Red Bicycle
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Re: X10 with modified sensor: Orb results
In reply to Richard Butler, Apr 26, 2012

This is fantastic news Richard. Thanks for your efforts and well done Fuji .
--
Kind Regards

Michael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alien3333
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,476
Like?

will they replace old units ?

R Butler wrote:

We've just been sent an X10 with the promised modified sensor and have tested it for orbs:

Our early impressions are that there isn't an obvious change in other aspects of image quality, but we're still checking on that.

Richard - dpreview.com

Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,883Gear list
Like?

R Butler wrote:

Richard - dpreview.com

I am gorbsmacked - the orbs are well and truly gone but when you look at the two images it really looks as though the orbs were artificially laid over the original specular, you can actually see almost identical spokes emanating beyond the orbs as exist in the new image. There was something weird about the orbs.

-- hide signature --

S100 (MIA), S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11 (Retired), F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

dotbalm
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,219
Like?
Thanks!

Thanks for pushing this through!

Wow.

From the initial test shot, there's an o(r)bvious improvement.

Might even get one now if Fujifilm informs us how to differentiate new X10's with the new sensor vs. new X10's with the old sensor. (If not, then maybe I'll wait for an X11.) Will be watching as it's put through the wringer in the various scenarios which invoked orbs.

This is great preliminary news though.

Silent Oracle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,913
Like?

Thanks, Richard.

Kudos to Fuji; they have delivered on their word.

The image appears much less contrasty however, and IMO I think that from what I've viewed here over the last several months, this is one of the draws to the camera from many users here.

It was way too contrasty for my personal taste - but to each, their own. I think it will be a vast improvement, not only in the area of 'no more orbing'.

Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?

R Butler wrote:

The background of the photo shot using the 'fixed' sensor is a little brighter, especially in the bottom of the frame. Was the DR% the same for both photos? Initially, the Exif Viewer extension for Firefox showed its usual subset of the EXIF data (which wouldn't show DR info), but after saving the images, Exif Tool (whidh does display DR information) showed no EXIF data at all, and trying to view the EXIF data again using Exif Viewer, it was no longer able to display anything. Strange.

In your conversations with Fuji, did they provide answers to the questions many here are asking, which are 1. whether the 'fixed' sensors will be used only for sensor swaps, or 2. will they also be installed in new X10's purchased from dealers, and if so, 3. when will such cameras be available from dealers, and 4. If there's a way to identify cameras with 'fixed' sensors (other than by examining photos for orbs), how can the buyer determine whether the X10 has the 'fixed' or the original sensor. Bonus questions: 5. If any of the answers to questions 1 through 4 differ for the XS-1, what are the differences, and 6. Will sensor swaps only be made available to original purchaser of the cameras, or can anyone (such as a buyer of a used X10 or XS-1) also get the same sensor swap service? Thanks.

Billx08
Like?
In reply to Silent Oracle, Apr 26, 2012

Silent Oracle wrote:

. . .

The image appears much less contrasty however, and IMO I think that from what I've viewed here over the last several months, this is one of the draws to the camera from many users here.

Yes, that was pretty obvious, and that's why I asked about the DR settings which I was (for some odd reason) unable to check.

It was way too contrasty for my personal taste - but to each, their own. I think it will be a vast improvement, not only in the area of 'no more orbing'.

Well, Richard did say that DPR would continue checking for changes in other aspects of image quality, high ISO performance, etc. If the new sensors produce any side effects, welcome or not, I hope that DPR is the first to detect them.

lightandday
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?

Thanks dpr !

lightandday's gear list:lightandday's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to Silent Oracle, Apr 26, 2012

Silent Oracle wrote:

Thanks, Richard.

Kudos to Fuji; they have delivered on their word.

Have you experimented with the D-Range settings. After three days of owning the X10, I've been impressed with RAW images which really take almost no work at all in Lightroom to get looking great. The Standard (Provia) mode, and RAW is working really well. With the new improved sensor, this camera (aside from the subpar video quality) will easily be the top P&S on the market.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,091Gear list
Like?
Same DR before & after, says Jeffrey
In reply to Billx08, Apr 26, 2012

Billx08 wrote:

. . .Was the DR% the same for both photos? . . .

Yes, "MakerNotes/DevelopmentDynamicRange" = 100%.
Full exif from

Orb-galore-ish X10 sample: http://regex.info/exif.cgi?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2F2.s.img-dpreview.com%2Ffiles%2Fnews%2F4785041157%2FDSCF2026.JPG%3Fv%3D1485

Orb-restrained X10 sample: http://regex.info/exif.cgi?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2F4.s.img-dpreview.com%2Ffiles%2Fnews%2F4785041157%2FDSCF9724.JPG%3Fv%3D1485
(I believe Jeffrey.)

Billx08
Like?
Re: Same DR before & after, says Jeffrey
In reply to edu T, Apr 26, 2012

edu T wrote:

Billx08 wrote:

. . .Was the DR% the same for both photos? . . .

Yes, "MakerNotes/DevelopmentDynamicRange" = 100%.
Full exif from

Orb-galore-ish X10 sample: http://regex.info/exif.cgi?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2F2.s.img-dpreview.com%2Ffiles%2Fnews%2F4785041157%2FDSCF2026.JPG%3Fv%3D1485

Orb-restrained X10 sample: http://regex.info/exif.cgi?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2F4.s.img-dpreview.com%2Ffiles%2Fnews%2F4785041157%2FDSCF9724.JPG%3Fv%3D1485
(I believe Jeffrey.)

Thanks. That I can see, but I've tried different browsers and none of them are able to save DPR's two X10 JPEGs with the EXIF data. There's no problem dealing with JPEGs from DPR's forums though. Even though I'm not having problems with any other apps, maybe it's time for me to reboot the computer. I'm guessing that XP likes a reboot at least every month or two.

charita
Contributing MemberPosts: 513Gear list
Like?

Well done, Fuji! The orbs have been tamed. So where is the celebration? Only 11 responses in over three hours to this amazing bit of news! The naysayers have obviously retreated to their holes, so it left to the fanboys to lead the cheering. Cheers.
--
Charles.
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9945787145/photos

Even though you are on the right track - you will get run over if you just sit there.
-Will Rogers.

charita's gear list:charita's gear list
Sony a6000 +1 more
DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602Gear list
Like?
In reply to charita, Apr 26, 2012

charita wrote:

Well done, Fuji! The orbs have been tamed. So where is the celebration? Only 11 responses in over three hours to this amazing bit of news! The naysayers have obviously retreated to their holes, so it left to the fanboys to lead the cheering. Cheers.
--

There is no celebration yet because :

1) It is still not known will Fuji pull back the stock of unsold cameras from the dealers, and swap the sensors (most likely not), this could become quite messy if they start putting new sensors in new stock of X10's (if they are still being made, because a lot of them still unsold), and it gets mixed with old stock.

2) People gave up and moved to other brands.

3) The camera was supposed to be released orb free in first place, so why bravo Fuji now.

4) Naysayers become a lot smarter then fanboys so they don't waste time on forum any more.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
Paul Graber
Regular MemberPosts: 359Gear list
Like?
In reply to DS21, Apr 26, 2012

The lack of comments so far might just relate to the news breaking in the middle of the night European time!
--
Paul Graber

Paul Graber's gear list:Paul Graber's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
Wellington100
Like?
In reply to Paul Graber, Apr 26, 2012

Paul Graber wrote:

The lack of comments so far might just relate to the news breaking in the middle of the night European time!

Half the forum, accounting for 80% of the posts ended up being banned over the issue, many of them took up stamp collecting instead

-- hide signature --

Paul Graber

-- hide signature --

S100 (MIA), S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11 (Retired), F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,387Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wellington100, Apr 26, 2012

Amazon must still have a lot of the orbiters for sale.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Wellington100
Like?

Wellington100 wrote:

R Butler wrote:

Richard - dpreview.com

I am gorbsmacked - the orbs are well and truly gone but when you look at the two images it really looks as though the orbs were artificially laid over the original specular, you can actually see almost identical spokes emanating beyond the orbs as exist in the new image. There was something weird about the orbs.

I have woken up after tossing and turning all night dreaming of orbs since seeing the DPR images and for the life of me it still looks like the orb was an artifact placed over the bloom, not the bloom itself. The new sensor displays typical radiating patterns we are used to seeing in blooms and all that guff about CMOS sensors producing perfectly sharp blooms, was just that - guff.

Whatever Fuji did to create the orbs, it was a complete own goal and those porkys about the cameras working within tolerances were just that, porkys.

I would be fascinated to know WTF the orbs were but I expect Fuji is shut up tighter than Fort Knox over the issue.

Still, the X10 looks like it might dominate the compact market for the remainder of the year and hopefully into the future, the opposition have not come up with anything to knock it off its perch, the bigger and heavier Canon G1X is really a new category of camera and is priced accordingly. The X10 is £379 on Amazon which is probably almost right for the best compact camera in the world (with the orb fix)

The retro styling, weight and proportions of the Fuji is not just funky, it is incredibly ergonomic and other new cameras always feel clunky and look inelegant side by side with the X10.

Go Fuji.

-- hide signature --

S100 (MIA), S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11 (Retired), F31 (deceased), Z5 (on parole), V10, D40, EX1

Wellington100
Like?
In reply to captura, Apr 26, 2012

captura wrote:

Amazon must still have a lot of the orbiters for sale.

Fortunately Amazon can afford to absORB the stock heh heh

I will miss all the orb jokes, puns and jests, sadly too many became orbsessed and their user names have gone to the great orb in sky, forever.

Yesterday I had a play with an X10 in a store in Cape Town, here Fuji remains popular and there are a number if camera stores offering Fuji printing services that also sell their cameras. The X10 is a truly beautiful piece of kit. There is simply nothing remotely like it in the compact arena.

-- hide signature --

kludgie
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?

Think I'll listen to The Orb's seminal U.F.Orb to celebrate.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads