J1 or 7100?

Started Apr 26, 2012 | Discussions
Thurnau
Regular MemberPosts: 452
Like?
J1 or 7100?
Apr 26, 2012

I am about to upgrade my PS. My Dlux4 just doesn't zoom and focus fast enough for my little kid. For holiday events I break out my D7000, but I don't carry it with me enough for ever day life and I find myself reaching for the iphone for most of my non work related pictures.

Does the V1 work with regular speedlights like my SB600? Or would I need the proprietary mini one that runs off the camera battery?

Is the Nikon1 system practical for everyday busy family use?

What lens is similar to the point and shoot ranges on the nikon 1 system?

Out of V1 or J1 I am leaning towards the J1. I don't want to buy and store the expensive mini flash, I'd also prefer an on board flash and keep it with me over a removable one forgot at home. I prefer a live viewfinder to on screen viewing, But I prefer a 3" screen over a digital viewfinder.

How does a J1 with lens fit in your pocket? Or a wife's purse?

Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Danlo
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
Re: J1 or 7100?
In reply to Thurnau, Apr 26, 2012

The Nikon SB-flash system will not work.

The kit-zoom 10-30mm and the 10mm/2.8 pancake would be the best choice as you already have a dslr for when you want quality and long lenses.

The camera is amazing. Please look at my blog for some samples:
http://blogg.hogbergphotography.com
--

Danlo's gear list:Danlo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Danlo
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
In reply to Danlo, Apr 26, 2012

I forgot to say, I always shoot in Raw, the jpegs is just like any other jpegs, horrible.
--

Danlo's gear list:Danlo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +18 more
JP Scherrer
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,589
Like?

Thurnau wrote:

Does the V1 work with regular speedlights like my SB600? Or would I need the proprietary mini one that runs off the camera battery?

Definitly NOT ! ...but the J1 has an onboard little flash ! (not very powerful though !)

IMO yes ! ...and it's an "expandable" tool, as you can add ANY 35mm. Nikon mount lens on it, thru the FT-1 adapter !

I used to allways keep my J1 + 10-30 in my jacket pocket ! Now, about your wife's purse, it depends on the purce's size :x... but usually it should fit !

J-P.

Photo Galeries at http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Spherical Panoramas (360x180 degrees) at http://www.360cities.net/profile/jps
Equipment list in profile

normsmith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,372
Like?
In reply to JP Scherrer, Apr 26, 2012

Some observations in bullet point, just so i don't lose anything.

You own a DSLR so may prefer all the external controls on the P7100, it has a lovely 18 - 200mm lens.

The Nikon 1 will out perform the P7100 in terms of image quality and features.

Nikon 1 is not really pocketable,unless you have pockets the size of a duffle bag the V1 is noticably bigger and heavier than the J1.

The V1 has a higher res screen and the viewfinder for the extra money, plus you need to buy the flash - that makes the V1 quite a bit more expensive than the J1 considering they both pump out the same image. The screen on the J1 is fine but i do think the viewfinder makes the V1 the better camera, especially as I attach bigger lenses via the FT-1 adaptor.

The V1 and 2 lens kit and external flash all easily go into a smallish camera bag and take up less room thatn a DSLR with standard 18 -55mm lens, while being more versatile.

The x2.75 crop gives a much greater depth of field, good inmany cases but frustrating for those wholike shallow DOF to isolate subjects.

The nikon 1 series puts out a good result but you nee to capture the subject in the frame as fully as you can as the 10MP are not (heavy) crop friendly, especially for viewing / printing big.

I have a few images and observations on my blog, which may help you further.

http://pinkfootstudio.blogspot.com
--
my blog http://pinkfootstudio.blogspot.com
never more than 3 posts per page so you will not be overloaded with images.

chimphappyhour
Regular MemberPosts: 415
Like?
In reply to normsmith, Apr 26, 2012

I on the other hand have had very good luck with pocketing the J1 with either the 10-30 or 30-110 mounted. It fits in the pockets of any of my jackets and the cargo pockets on cargo shorts quite easily. (No duffle bag needed. ) Sure, it isn't going to fit into the pocket on a pair of jeans but I wouldn't even stick a S90/95/100 in my jeans. (And I don't wear my jeans tight.) I hiked several days with my J1 in a pocket on my shorts while I was touring Australia... and I mean hike. It wasn't a problem and it was close at hand at all times.

vshin
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?

The p7100 is more compact but you will need the J1 if you want to shoot your kid. The J1 with the 10mm f/2.8 is the most compact N1 setup but the 10-30mm lens will still fit inside a purse or tote bag. Neither of these cameras are what I consider jeans pocket-portable.

Daniel Oh
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?

Thurnau wrote:

I am about to upgrade my PS. My Dlux4 just doesn't zoom and focus fast enough for my little kid. For holiday events I break out my D7000, but I don't carry it with me enough for ever day life and I find myself reaching for the iphone for most of my non work related pictures.

I have a D700, J1 and a Canon G12 (similar to Nikon P7100). The G12 fit in my belt clip pouch. The J1 only fits with my 10 mm pancake. I like the controls of G12 and size, but unless I know I will be only shooting outdoors and static objects I reach out to J1 and not G12. If you plan to take pictures of kids p7100 will not do it (AF is slower than G12).

The high ISO is quite good so I use flash

What lens is similar to the point and shoot ranges on the nikon 1 system?

I thought I would use the 10 pancake the most but I almost never use it. I use about 30% 10-30 & 70% 30-110.

Out of V1 or J1 I am leaning towards the J1. I don't want to buy and store the expensive mini flash, I'd also prefer an on board flash and keep it with me over a removable one forgot at home. I prefer a live viewfinder to on screen viewing, But I prefer a 3" screen over a digital viewfinder.

Techno pants only and it is tight. I carry it in my neck and the extra lens in my pocket.

-- hide signature --

Daniel Oh

ps. I truly believe photography as a hobby is defined by the pleasure you get from the activity. It does not matter what equipment or results. I am a hobbyist and a very awful photographer (snapshooter is a better name) but a very happy one.

Daniel Oh's gear list:Daniel Oh's gear list
Pentax Optio W60 Samsung EX2F Nikon D700 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads