XZ-1 Lock-and-Recompose shooting

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions
Jonathan Ragle
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
XZ-1 Lock-and-Recompose shooting
Apr 25, 2012

After months of struggling with the camera's inability to lock exposure and recompose, I want to post my newly discovered solution: simultaneous AE-Lock/AF-Lock can be achieved by half-pressing the shutter button while in spot-metering mode.

While it would be ideal to control auto-exposure and auto-focus independently, I reserve such stringent requirements for DSLRs, 645s, and my Fuji X100.

The important point here is that it is in fact possible to use a 'lock and recompose' method with the XZ-1. To do so, I combine spot-metering and the TR (Focus Tracking).

This great little camera is now vastly more compatible with my old shooting habits.

-- hide signature --

-–Jonathan

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,691Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-1 Lock-and-Recompose shooting
In reply to Jonathan Ragle, Apr 25, 2012

I really don't understand the problem here at all... I have not the slightest difficulty in half-press to lock exposure then recompose (if necessary) and fire the shot...

I've done this on just abouit every camera I've had and maybe it goes back to when I was using Leica M in good old days and a very good friend at that time taught me .. or directed me.. to get what was then sold as a "soft-touch" shutter control..a nice little chromed FLAT button device that screwed into the shutter release button .. which in those days was always with a screwed hole in the middle to take the seperate shutter-release cables that were often used. But by Golly it gave you a literal 'hair trigger' touch and you had to acquire a very delicate touch of the button.

This I've always believed to be the ideal and best way of handling a shutter release.. and certainly on MY XZ-1 it heps a lot, as it has what I feel as a kind of positive half-way position whereby with a controlled half-press you do really feel that it can literally hold on as long as you like, in that half-press focus position. so you can then if needed, re-compose

It's all down to finger press control .. and DON'T press with a finger end..press with the ball of our finger... gently ..

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,779
Like?
In reply to ericN2, Apr 26, 2012

Here's another XZ-1 trick --

if you go to SCN > Underwater mode, point it at the focus subject, and then press the Down arrow, it will focus-lock on the subject, and you can then move it off the subject to get the exposure from something else.

It will hold the focus-lock until you push the Down arrow again, or turn the camera off.

This can be useful if you're taking sports pictures, where you focus-lock on an active area, like the goal, and then shoot away.

Kirppu
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?
In reply to jon404, Apr 26, 2012

jon404 wrote:

Here's another XZ-1 trick --

if you go to SCN > Underwater mode, point it at the focus subject, and then press the Down arrow, it will focus-lock on the subject, and you can then move it off the subject to get the exposure from something else.

It will hold the focus-lock until you push the Down arrow again, or turn the camera off.

This can be useful if you're taking sports pictures, where you focus-lock on an active area, like the goal, and then shoot away.

Oh Oh what a scam Why ain't auto lock feature available in all shooting modes?
Total example of manufaturers unlogic :/

-- hide signature --

Hobbyist member

Kirppu's gear list:Kirppu's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +8 more
jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,779
Like?
In reply to Kirppu, Apr 26, 2012

Kirppu, I don't know. But I'll bet the regular-camera engineers had no intention of adding it at all, until somebody on the underwater-camera development side said "Wait a minute, we have to have focus lock, it's hard enough just trying to swim underwater, let alone take pictures!"

The XZ-2 (whenever) should have it in all modes, as you suggest. Obvious!

Kirppu
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?
In reply to jon404, Apr 26, 2012

jon404 wrote:

Kirppu, I don't know. But I'll bet the regular-camera engineers had no intention of adding it at all, until somebody on the underwater-camera development side said "Wait a minute, we have to have focus lock, it's hard enough just trying to swim underwater, let alone take pictures!"

The XZ-2 (whenever) should have it in all modes, as you suggest. Obvious!

Jeah but come on the feature is all ready there... Why it's disabled in the other modes insane "let's not make it too good" way of thinking comes to my mind.

heh Gladly you can save the underwater mode with auto whitebalance to the Custom mode

-- hide signature --

Hobbyist member

Kirppu's gear list:Kirppu's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +8 more
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,057Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jonathan Ragle, Apr 27, 2012

Jonathan Ragle wrote:

After months of struggling with the camera's inability to lock exposure and recompose, I want to post my newly discovered solution: simultaneous AE-Lock/AF-Lock can be achieved by half-pressing the shutter button while in spot-metering mode.

While it would be ideal to control auto-exposure and auto-focus independently, I reserve such stringent requirements for DSLRs, 645s, and my Fuji X100.

The important point here is that it is in fact possible to use a 'lock and recompose' method with the XZ-1. To do so, I combine spot-metering and the TR (Focus Tracking).

This great little camera is now vastly more compatible with my old shooting habits.

I don't have an XZ-1, but since I got m E-3, I stopped doing lock focus and recompose, and instead go into single focus point mode, and select the focus point that would allow me to compose the picture that I want. I see the XZ-1 has the same feature (page 37). I tend to feel it gives me more control. I can shoot faster at the decisive moment, and it is especially helpful when the camera is on a tripod, where you might not want to change where the camera is pointing.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads