Card speeds on my 5DIII

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions
SHillphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 768Gear list
Like?
Card speeds on my 5DIII
Apr 25, 2012

So I have my new 5D3 and wanted to get new memory cards.

I currently have the 16mb sandisk Extreme III, Extreme IV, Kingstons 600X.

Wanting both more space and speed I ordered the Sandisk Extreme Pro 32mb CF and SD cards.

In doing real basic speed testing here is what I found. Runing 6 fps untill I hit the buffer.

1. The extreme III is the slowest about 2.2 seconds continuous shooting. slow recovery from a full buffer.

2. the Extreme IV and Kingston are about the same 2.5 seconds continuous about 1.5 shots a second after the buffer not real steady. the kingston is over rated runs like a 300X card.

3. the SD extreme pro card will run about 2.7 seconds and then only about 1 shot every 2 seconds, very slow after the buffer is full, can't use this combo for speed shooting.

4. the extreme pro CF card rocks 3.7 seconds continuous shooting maintains 2 shots a second after that. and with a 1 second break can resume 6fps. very fast card. The 5D3 runs much better with this card than the 7D. The 7D will run 2.7 seconds and then will run hit and miss when the 5D3 just runs steady 2fps and recovers much faster. with a full buffer the 5D3 is much better than the 7D with this card...

So the Sandisk Extreme Pro is a very fast card and money well spent... I think this is the perfect card for the 5D3 for still shooting factoring speed, price and storage.

The SD card, buffer or slot is much slower then a CF card on the 5D3.

The Digic 5 is faster than the Digic 4.

This may be old news but though I would share.

SHillphoto's gear list:SHillphoto's gear list
Samsung TL350 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +5 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RichW
Forum ProPosts: 12,759Gear list
Like?
Re: Card speeds on my 5DIII
In reply to SHillphoto, Apr 25, 2012

You probably want to check the database on robgalbraith.com.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12452

Rich
--

Yea, my 5D3 has the light leak with the lens cap on. The pics are better with the cap off anyway.

RichW's gear list:RichW's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SHillphoto
Like?
In reply to RichW, Apr 25, 2012

cool, thanks,

I was down to the lexar 1000X or sandisk 600X but when for the space not the speed and made the right choice the extreme pro is fast enough for the 5D3, for stills....

The 7D needs the 1000X...

Samsung TL350 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +5 more
facedodge
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?
 facedodge's gear list:facedodge's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,617Gear list
Like?
Extreme Pro 32 gb 600x is what I got 2 weeks ago

and it does rock

It's about 1/2 the money of the 1000x cards but fine for my purposes

I also found I get 2x the frames if I shoot raw only rather than raw plus Jpeg.

Just a slight pause in shooting with this card and the buffer flushes and you can do it all again!
--
John Mason - Lafayette, IN

http://www.fototime.com/inv/407B931C53A9D9D

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Skip M
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,171
Like?
Good to know...

RG may have tested them, but it's good to have someone confirm it in the real world.
--
Skip M
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
http://www.pbase.com/skipm
http://skipm.smugmug.com/
http://skipmiddletonglamourshooter.blogspot.com/
'Living in the heart of a dream, in the Promised Land!'
John Stewart

Ken W.
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,221
Like?
And...

It's $100 off at B&H... today only. Just ordered mine.
--
Ken W.
ARC - Architectural Photography
http://www.arc-photo.com
http://twitter.com/kenjwan

SpartanWarrior
Senior MemberPosts: 2,828Gear list
Like?

Is that extreme pro your talking about UDMA 7? Because I have read those are the fastest.

SHillphoto wrote:

So I have my new 5D3 and wanted to get new memory cards.

I currently have the 16mb sandisk Extreme III, Extreme IV, Kingstons 600X.

Wanting both more space and speed I ordered the Sandisk Extreme Pro 32mb CF and SD cards.

In doing real basic speed testing here is what I found. Runing 6 fps untill I hit the buffer.

1. The extreme III is the slowest about 2.2 seconds continuous shooting. slow recovery from a full buffer.

2. the Extreme IV and Kingston are about the same 2.5 seconds continuous about 1.5 shots a second after the buffer not real steady. the kingston is over rated runs like a 300X card.

3. the SD extreme pro card will run about 2.7 seconds and then only about 1 shot every 2 seconds, very slow after the buffer is full, can't use this combo for speed shooting.

4. the extreme pro CF card rocks 3.7 seconds continuous shooting maintains 2 shots a second after that. and with a 1 second break can resume 6fps. very fast card. The 5D3 runs much better with this card than the 7D. The 7D will run 2.7 seconds and then will run hit and miss when the 5D3 just runs steady 2fps and recovers much faster. with a full buffer the 5D3 is much better than the 7D with this card...

So the Sandisk Extreme Pro is a very fast card and money well spent... I think this is the perfect card for the 5D3 for still shooting factoring speed, price and storage.

The SD card, buffer or slot is much slower then a CF card on the 5D3.

The Digic 5 is faster than the Digic 4.

This may be old news but though I would share.

SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
SHillphoto
Like?
In reply to SpartanWarrior, Apr 25, 2012

udma 6, the fastest card out that I know of is the lexar professional 1000X.

But with 6fps and digic 5 I think the sandisk extreme pro 600X is fast enough for stills on the 5D3.

SpartanWarrior
Senior MemberPosts: 2,828Gear list
Like?
In reply to SHillphoto, Apr 26, 2012

Thanks;)

SHillphoto wrote:

udma 6, the fastest card out that I know of is the lexar professional 1000X.

But with 6fps and digic 5 I think the sandisk extreme pro 600X is fast enough for stills on the 5D3.

SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads