Split Rock in Spring

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions
ryanbatc2k9
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
Split Rock in Spring
Apr 25, 2012

Hi guys... this is sort of a followup to some of my other threads. I just wanted to thank everyone here for helping me take better photos, and for mentioning LR4 to help with my PP (which has been basically non-existent until now hehe). I paid particular attention to keeping my ISO down as low as possible, keeping my 15-85mm not too wide so to keep vignetting down and the barrel distortion down...

I live in Duluth but haven't been to Split Rock yet, so we traveled up there the other day when the weather was pleasant. I went a bit crazy on the saturation on one (you can tell hehe) but it was for fun.

Enjoy a few shots... and please criticize if you want! They were all with my Xti

Iron Mike
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
Re: Split Rock in Spring
In reply to ryanbatc2k9, Apr 25, 2012

I like #4 and #5 the best. Just a thought, #4 might have been better as a vertical composition, with less empty sky, and accentuating the hight of the cliff.

None of them really jumped off the page as being excessively saturated.

Sounds like you had a fun trip!

Mike

Iron Mike's gear list:Iron Mike's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 28,467
Like?
In reply to ryanbatc2k9, Apr 26, 2012

They are nice photos...looks like a pretty area, especially nice with the lighthouse.

wiwi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,123Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryanbatc2k9, Apr 26, 2012

nice work! Looks like a lovely area. Don't be too afraid to use your 15-85mm at 15mm. There will be some vignetting and distortion but it should be something you can correct in LR. I'm hopeless at PP but I love LR too, very user friendly! Thakns for sharing.
--
The world is too big for one lifetime, and one lens.

Check out where I am on http://www.whereswiwi.com

wiwi's gear list:wiwi's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 31,873Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryanbatc2k9, Apr 28, 2012

Nice shots.

-- hide signature --

Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 6D +7 more
dave vichich
Senior MemberPosts: 1,777Gear list
Like?

I envy you for living so close to Spilt Rock and all the other parks in the area.
I have to drive up from the cities to shoot in the area.

Nothing looks overly done to me in any of your pics.
The one thing I would suggest would be a different time of day.

Morning gives great silhouettes, the evening light really sets off the color in the rocks.

Try going when some clouds are around, and get there before sunrise, you'll like the results.

-- hide signature --
 dave vichich's gear list:dave vichich's gear list
Canon EOS 70D
karl mohr
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?

I need to get back up there and take some pics of the lighthouse. I'd also like to take some pics of Glensheen, now that I have dSLRs instead of just point-and-shoots. Have you ever been there? It's awesome.

karl mohr's gear list:karl mohr's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,365Gear list
Like?
In reply to karl mohr, Apr 28, 2012

I have been there. But recall a rule of NO pictures indoors, I think. But you can shoot outside.

As for Split Rock. Is the road construction near the entrance finally finished? I recall getting some nice shots of the lighthouse from a rest area just south of the entrance (northbound). But the last 2 years that area was either holding the construction machinery, or (last year) was pretty much torn up. Might that be from where you shot your 1st picture? Anyway, that lighthouse and surrounding area is just made for photography. We try and get up there yearly, from south of the Cities--- Owatonna.

karl mohr
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, Apr 28, 2012

I've been to Glensheen several times, and regret I can't take pics inside. Were you aware of the murders that took place there? Supposedly, it's haunted, too.

karl mohr's gear list:karl mohr's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
VisualNectarPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
In reply to karl mohr, Apr 28, 2012

You might want to try a polarizer. It will help with the glare
--

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.

VisualNectarPhotography's gear list:VisualNectarPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
AvyMan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,232
Like?
In reply to ryanbatc2k9, Apr 30, 2012

I like 1 and 5 the best where the lighthouse is better displayed as your main subject--though in the first one it's a little small. The forth shot is good and I can see why you might have framed it that way. But IMO the lighthouse could be pulled farther away from the edge of the frame...not centered though.

We have relatives in Duluth and on the Iron Range so have been to Split Rock. Great place for photos. Wish I'd had a wider angle lens at the time for shots right on the grounds.

I like these. Thanks for sharing. Good to see it as we haven't been there in a while.

Nick
--
photography -- a compatible blend of tech and art --

ryanbatc2k9
Like?
In reply to BobT, May 5, 2012

BobT wrote:

As for Split Rock. Is the road construction near the entrance finally finished? I recall getting some nice shots of the lighthouse from a rest area just south of the entrance (northbound). But the last 2 years that area was either holding the construction machinery, or (last year) was pretty much torn up. Might that be from where you shot your 1st picture? Anyway, that lighthouse and surrounding area is just made for photography. We try and get up there yearly, from south of the Cities--- Owatonna.

We didnt' actually go into the state park entrance (tightwads haha)... we parked down the road at an overlook (maybe 1 mi south) and hiked down the bike trail, down to the shoreline, then hiked towards SR

ProtoPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 974Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryanbatc2k9, May 6, 2012

Very nice photos! And I'm glad that you made it "up the shore". It is good to keep in mind if you live up here, however, that the lighthouse is for the tourists, but the real gem for the locals is the Split Rock River loop (part of the Superior Hiking Trail, rated one of the best in the country)...

(both with post in CS5)

(does there seem to be an unusual number of Minnesotans in this forum?)

ProtoPhoto's gear list:ProtoPhoto's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D +9 more
ryanbatc2k9
Like?
In reply to ProtoPhoto, Jul 2, 2012

I never knew about that... can be difficult to get to the non-tourist locations with the baby... I'll have to check it out now though hehe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads