IPad 3 - Wifi only or WiFi and 4g? Please weigh in

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions
ArizonaDigitalWolf
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
IPad 3 - Wifi only or WiFi and 4g? Please weigh in
Apr 25, 2012

I am going to buy a New IPad
Please give me your answers and reasons on why or when I would ever need 4G?

I appreciate all feedback.

I would like to hear from many people on this as I need to make a decision if I should go all out and buy the 4G Version.

I am of the belief that for the most part, a WiFi Only 64 IPad would be more then enough for me.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,459
Like?
Re: IPad 3 - Wifi only or WiFi and 4g? Please weigh in
In reply to ArizonaDigitalWolf, Apr 25, 2012

You're the only one that can answer that. If you think you're going to be using it in places where WiFi is not available, then you're stuck carting around a 'static' device.

If you're planning on using it at home or Starbucks or whatever most of the time, then 4G is not as useful.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ArizonaDigitalWolf
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Apr 25, 2012

I understand I am the only one who can answer this.

Mainly, I will be using it at home where I have a wireless router.
At Gf's work place and she has wireless network.

Taking the Ipad to stores/restaurants. Most places have hotspots.

Main reason I will be using my IPad for is more organizational information. Some online.

I guess the question I was asking is, when would I need 4G?
If I am traveling out of the country?
Using the IPad in a remote location?

Most people have told me that I should not waste my money and there is very little reason to get a 4G Ipad.

I wanted others feedback with this.

EricWN
Contributing MemberPosts: 694
Like?

I hardly ever use the 3G on my iPad as there is Wi-Fi around at many places I use the pad at. If you're in the same boat, skip the 4G. If you regret the decision later, you might still return the device or sell it used and get another one.

gaussian blur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,434
Like?

ArizonaDigitalWolf wrote:

Mainly, I will be using it at home where I have a wireless router.
At Gf's work place and she has wireless network.

Taking the Ipad to stores/restaurants. Most places have hotspots.

Main reason I will be using my IPad for is more organizational information. Some online.

If you're always near WiFi you probably won't need 4G for connectivity, although you may find that it's faster than what you'll find in public hotspots and maybe even what you have at home. However, that depends whether there's LTE service where you are. It's still fairly spotty. You might only have 3G service, for now.

You'll get 3G outside of the USA. 4G LTE networks aren't exactly standard and you have to decide between Verizon and AT&T iPads. They don't make a universal iPad yet.

Most people have told me that I should not waste my money and there is very little reason to get a 4G Ipad.

Don't forget that you get a GPS with the 4G version and also that it increases resale value later on.

Peter Rongsted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?
In reply to gaussian blur, Apr 25, 2012

gaussian blur wrote:

If you're always near WiFi you probably won't need 4G for connectivity, although you may find that it's faster than what you'll find in public hotspots and maybe even what you have at home. However, that depends whether there's LTE service where you are. It's still fairly spotty. You might only have 3G service, for now.

As it supports DC-HSDPA you can actually get up to 42Mbps connection if the carrier supports it. Here in Denmark most of the carriers don't so 21Mbps (HSPA+) is the most we get. But thats not all that bad. Actually it is more than most people have at home on their ADSL.

You'll get 3G outside of the USA. 4G LTE networks aren't exactly standard and you have to decide between Verizon and AT&T iPads. They don't make a universal iPad yet.

The frequency bands that the new iPad supports are only used in North America. Europe and Asia use 900MHz, 1800MHZ and 2600MHZ that is not supported by the current iPad. Thats why Apple has been fined in Australia for using 4G and LTE in their marketing.

Don't forget that you get a GPS with the 4G version and also that it increases resale value later on.

Where I live there are many free hotspots but most of them require that you are registered and login in. Thats ok if you are in a cafe for some time, but on a short trip on a city bus its annoying. Thats why I went with the 3G version.

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-500 Nikon D700 +35 more
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,012Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter Rongsted, Apr 25, 2012

There are lots of instances where the WiFi connection is based on an 802.11 g modem, and is only slightly faster than a 56K modem. So in those cases, you can switch to a fast 3g connection (or 4g in the future). If you are out in the car and suddenly have the need to look up something (less of an issue if you also have an iPhone) it is great to have, or in areas where there is just no wifi. On the other hand, if you find you are not using it much, you can just de-activate the account (remember, it's join to cost you about $30 a month beyond the price of the unit to use the 3(4)g. I have the 32 gig 4g and love it.
--
Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}

http://www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
TraceyS
Senior MemberPosts: 2,682Gear list
Like?

I rarely use public wifi. Just don't like my stuff floating around like that...

I'm debating the same thing, but while i wouldn't use the public wifi (and honestly, i rarely/never have it where i go - which is why i have the 3g iPad1), I could use the hotspot on my iPhone.

The GPS is a biggie for me, i've used the GPS on my iPad1 a decent amount...

Still pondering because I can't buy it yet anyway!

-- hide signature --

Tracey

TraceyS's gear list:TraceyS's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,361
Like?
Wifi only and here is why...

I mostly use my pad device for browsing internet, email and such, my phone already has 4glte.

My pad device is used for ease of viewing. If I take out outside the house where there is no WiFi, I can use an app that communicates using bluetooth. It works for Apple as well. It is about 3g speed but works well enough until you get to a wifi place. It does not require you to turn on your phones wifi hot spot for 30 bucks a monthI love it.

Why spend 30 dollars on 4g or your phone wifi hotspot when you will get very little use out of it anyway because most of the time is it used in range of a wifi. You can use a free app when you are outside that range so your pad is still useful without spending 30 dollars a month or $360 per year on top of what you already pay for your phone. Ouch.

I would like to hear from many people on this as I need to make a decision if I should go all out and buy the 4G Version.

I am of the belief that for the most part, a WiFi Only 64 IPad would be more then enough for me.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Chuck Fralick
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?

I'll pile on the don't buy wireless bandwagon. Unless you know you'll need connectivity on the road and you won't be able to get wi fi, I'd save my money. Plus, the rates are getting worse for data packages. I have the original iPad and have never been in a situation where I really needed the additionally connectivity. The only thing i've ever lamented about my iPad is not having GPS built in. Don't know if that's still an issue with the new model - wanted the navigation capability.

Cheers,
Chuck

Chuck Fralick's gear list:Chuck Fralick's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix AW110 Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,347
Like?
In reply to Chuck Fralick, Apr 25, 2012

Chuck Fralick wrote:

The only thing i've ever lamented about my iPad is not having GPS built in. Don't know if that's still an issue with the new model - wanted the navigation capability.

It's the same as for the old iPads. The WiFi + 4G models are the only ones that list "Assisted GPS and GLONASS" as a feature on the Technical Specifications sheet.

EricWN
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Apr 26, 2012

Alpha Doug wrote:

There are lots of instances where the WiFi connection is based on an 802.11 g modem, and is only slightly faster than a 56K modem. So in those cases, you can switch to a fast 3g connection (or 4g in the future).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11g

It is worth highlighting with 802.11g that the throughput for this wireless standard is up to 54 Mbit/s which is not the same as a 56K modem at all. Most 56K modems are dial-up and not in use anywhere in the world. Usually such a hotspot would be connected to broadband internet delivering higher speeds than most cellular networks.

Peter Rongsted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?
Re: Wifi only and here is why...
In reply to Richard, Apr 26, 2012

Richard wrote:

... I can use an app that communicates using bluetooth. It works for Apple as well. It is about 3g speed but works well enough until you get to a wifi place. It does not require you to turn on your phones wifi hot spot for 30 bucks a monthI love it.

It very much depends which Bluetooth version your phone supports. If its 2.0 or earlier then you'll get max 3Mbps. With 3.0+HS you can get 24Mpbs. Its important to have the High Speed option otherwise you are down at Bluetooth 2.0 speeds.

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-500 Nikon D700 +35 more
Jen Yates
Senior MemberPosts: 1,206
Like?
In reply to ArizonaDigitalWolf, Apr 26, 2012

Using the IPad in a remote location?

Oh come on. What is the point on asking others when YOU will need to use a wireless data connection!

That's like me asking you whether I should buy a head torch? I'm the only one who could ever possibly know whether I'd get enough use of a head torch to justify the expenditure. Same goes for you and an iPad.

If you think you need mobile broadband on the iPad then get it. If you don't then don't. And if you're not sure then get a grip and make a decision for yourself already.

Sheesh I know... I know... I'm being rude, so sorry for that - but really... make the decision for yourself.

gaussian blur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,434
Like?
In reply to EricWN, Apr 26, 2012

EricWN wrote:

Alpha Doug wrote:

There are lots of instances where the WiFi connection is based on an 802.11 g modem, and is only slightly faster than a 56K modem. So in those cases, you can switch to a fast 3g connection (or 4g in the future).

It is worth highlighting with 802.11g that the throughput for this wireless standard is up to 54 Mbit/s which is not the same as a 56K modem at all. Most 56K modems are dial-up and not in use anywhere in the world. Usually such a hotspot would be connected to broadband internet delivering higher speeds than most cellular networks.

That's the theoretical maximum, not a guaranteed speed. Unless you are the only person using the hotspot (which is extremely unlikely), your actual speed will be much less. Many times there are far too many people trying to use what little upstream bandwidth there is. I've been at hotels where it literally took minutes to load a simple web page.

Lee Beasley
Senior MemberPosts: 2,273Gear list
Like?
In reply to ArizonaDigitalWolf, Apr 26, 2012

It was a no brainer for me. Since I have an iPhone, why would I really need wireless on my iPad? If there's something I want to look on the internet out of wifi range, I just use my broadband connection on the phone. Also, even though I have "unlimited" AT&T broadband on my phone, it isn't really unlimited. There's less chance of going over the cap on a phone. At least, that's my rationale. It's worked flawlessly through three iPads now. There's never been a time when I wished I had a broadband iPad.

Lee Beasley's gear list:Lee Beasley's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,012Gear list
Like?
In reply to gaussian blur, Apr 27, 2012

gaussian blur wrote:

EricWN wrote:

Alpha Doug wrote:

I was not arguing about the theoretical maximum speed of any wifi vs. a 56K modem, however, just this last weekend I was staying at a State Park in Colorado which advertises that they have "wifi" in the campground. The throughput was glacial. So I checked the connection and found out it was an 802.11b only modem. Add to that that everyone in the park was using it, and it was WAY faster to just switch to the local AT&T 3g feed. That's what I meant. And if you don't believe that this is a widely distributed problem, I also tried a connection at a local Panera Bread on the same day. Same issue. 802.11b modem with about 50 people connected at the same time.

-- hide signature --

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,347
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Apr 27, 2012

So I checked the connection and found out it was an 802.11b only modem.

FYI: 'Modem' is not the best word for describing an 802.11 a, b, g, or n transceiver. 'Radio' is more accurate.

EricWN
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Apr 27, 2012

Alpha Doug wrote:

gaussian blur wrote:

EricWN wrote:

Alpha Doug wrote:

I was not arguing about the theoretical maximum speed of any wifi vs. a 56K modem, however, just this last weekend I was staying at a State Park in Colorado which advertises that they have "wifi" in the campground. The throughput was glacial. So I checked the connection and found out it was an 802.11b only modem. Add to that that everyone in the park was using it, and it was WAY faster to just switch to the local AT&T 3g feed. That's what I meant. And if you don't believe that this is a widely distributed problem, I also tried a connection at a local Panera Bread on the same day. Same issue. 802.11b modem with about 50 people connected at the same time.

-- hide signature --

Of course this can be a problem in some situations. I was mainly after getting your technical side correct.

On the other hand, in many areas with weaker cellular reception you can experience the same lame internet on 3G or 4G - it all depends on when and where you use the services.

At the end of the day every user has to decide for themselves if a mobile data plan makes sense for them.

Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?
4G 4ME
In reply to ArizonaDigitalWolf, Apr 27, 2012

For me it's a no brainer. I travel, it has to be Edge/3G/4G.

The assisted GPS function is so valuable finding my way around Thailand and surrounding Asian countries.

I have an iPhone and have used it tethered, but data roaming charges are so extortionate I'd be bankrupt in a month. So I buy a local sim for the iPad, and can keep my regular number in my phone in case someone needs to contact me. You can do the same with your iPhone, if you don't mind getting a new number for each cell region, and provided that region allows tethering.

-Najinsky

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads