My Ideal travel zoom

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions
superstar905
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?
My Ideal travel zoom
Apr 25, 2012

I am waiting for a couple things before I buy a new travel zoom...

a compact with the form of the ZS20 meaning

no pop up flash or if you are going to have that, put it in the middle ( I like the GF5 form actually)

video record button at the top beside the shutter button

touch screen capability with focus priority on touch

a compact with the video quality of the HX Sony series

Video is very important to me, but having quality stills that can peform in all lighting conditions is equally as important

a compact with all manual features (even if I don't know how to properly use them, I will learn)

a compact with easy and quick navigational menus (intuitive like the ZS lumix series with a quick menu

a compact with excellent low light capability and proper colour rendition in all lighting

Wi-Fi

I think this is coming.....and am prepared to wait. I really like the ZS20 but put the Sony HX series always has me second guessing, as the image quality of this new sensor they have appears very good (I do not pixel peep) despite the 18 mp's. Bigger sensor is not necessary from what I am seeing now and although its desirable, the bigger size of the "compact" would not be a trade off I'd want (perfectly happy with the size of the Sony HX series, but even more so with the ZS20).

I don't think I'm asking for the unthinkable here.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cyril Catt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,858
Like?
Re: My Ideal travel zoom
In reply to superstar905, Apr 26, 2012

superstar905 wrote:

I don't think I'm asking for the unthinkable here.

But I hope you have a camera of some sort handy while you wait.
--
Cyril

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
superstar905
Like?
In reply to Cyril Catt, Apr 26, 2012

absolutely, have the ZS3 and love it, except for indoors....

Cyril Catt
Like?

superstar905 wrote;

have the ZS3 and love it, except for indoors...

A single compact camera with all the things we desire may take a while. So I travel with two that complement each other in specs. That way I get a wider range of options AND some insurance against breakdown. Interiors usually imply low light and spaces where you cannot back up, so a wide, fast, lens is useful. My choice was an LX3. With its optional 18mm F2.0 accessory lens it has a horizontal coverage of about 95 degrees, and allows handheld shots in some very dimly lit places.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 12,736
Like?
The underground reservoir in Istanbul
In reply to Cyril Catt, Apr 26, 2012

Cyril Catt wrote:
superstar905 wrote;

have the ZS3 and love it, except for indoors...

A single compact camera with all the things we desire may take a while. So I travel with two that complement each other in specs. That way I get a wider range of options AND some insurance against breakdown. Interiors usually imply low light and spaces where you cannot back up, so a wide, fast, lens is useful. My choice was an LX3. With its optional 18mm F2.0 accessory lens it has a horizontal coverage of about 95 degrees, and allows handheld shots in some very dimly lit places.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

Cool shot - love the fish!

-Erik

-- hide signature --

DP Review Supporter.

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
http://www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

J C Brown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,372
Like?
What about a decent EVF? NT
-- hide signature --

J C Brown

Erik Ohlson
Like?
Re: What about a decent EVF? NT
In reply to J C Brown, Apr 26, 2012

J C Brown wrote:

-- hide signature --

J C Brown

Hear, hear !!

Although I have a Clearviewer - next best thing - an EVF would seal the deal!

I still say there is plenty of room for a "Pop-up" EVF:

Sorry for the crude drawing, but you get the point - it takes up almost NO volume in the camera body.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

DP Review Supporter.

Cyril Catt
Like?
In reply to Erik Ohlson, Apr 27, 2012

That looks like a reasonable compromise, Erik.

Another method would be to use a different format. For instance, with the pistol grip design of the Canon TX1, although the lens can fully retract into the body, there is not enough room for an EVF at the appropriate place, behind it. But if the body were rotated 90 degrees, so the lens was in the short end, there would be room for an EVF behind it. It would be easier to make a folding pistol grip on such a design than making a folding LCD. An EVF would overcome the LCD problem of reflection in bright light, and gain steadiness from being held with the hand held against the face. It would also be easier to use single-handed. See:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canontx1/2
--
Cyril

superstar905
Like?
In reply to Cyril Catt, Apr 27, 2012

Erik, your drawing makes a lot of sense.

J C Brown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,372
Like?

Erik Ohlson wrote:

J C Brown wrote:

-- hide signature --

J C Brown

Hear, hear !!

Sorry for the crude drawing, but you get the point - it takes up almost NO volume in the camera body.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

DP Review Supporter.

Hi Erik,

For a model like my TZ7 (ZS3) my personal preference would be a fully integrated EVF with a smaller LCD panel, preferably one that could be folded down like the one on the FZ50.

Jimmy
--
J C Brown

Erik Ohlson
Like?
In reply to J C Brown, Apr 27, 2012

-Erik

J.C. Brown wrote:

Hi Erik,

For a model like my TZ7 (ZS3) my personal preference would be a fully integrated EVF with a smaller LCD panel, preferably one that could be folded down like the one on the FZ50.

Jimmy
--
J C Brown

Jimmy - me, too!

This was just a suggestion for an almost "Zero Volume" EVF. I had long advocated an EVF on the travel zoom [and LX series] cameras.

About 3 years ago, at one of the Trade camera shows, DPR's attendee showed photos of an "exploded" ZS28, and the EVF unit appeared to be 'fittable' into a 3/4 inch [20mm] cube - which could be integrated into a travel zoom body without a great deal of effort.

Here, with even less effort [Photoshop] ia a proposal for an "EVF-TZ" using existing EVF components from 2 years ago [the camera is my ZS3, and the EVF is from my FZ-18]:

I purposely placed the EVF in the upper right, so as to avoid having to move the LCD, and the controls.

Holding a ZS3 camera up to my eye - even though I am left-eye dominant, I find it perfectly "doable" - and it actually keeps one's nose from rubbing on the LCD

As Cyril Catt rightly points out:

"An EVF would overcome the LCD problem of reflection in bright light, and gain steadiness from being held with the hand held against the face."

This, of course, is why I advocate the Clearviewer, which in the absence of an EVF, does that very well, but I'd be first in line for a real EVF-TZ.

-Erik

-- hide signature --

DP Review Supporter.

danielsonkin
Forum ProPosts: 11,355Gear list
Like?

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Hear, hear !!

I'd patent that design ASAP if I were you, Erik. What a great idea! If they can put a small LCD in the front of the camera, no reason they can't do it on top.
Daniel

http://danielsonkin.smugmug.com/

danielsonkin's gear list:danielsonkin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 +2 more
superstar905
Like?
In reply to danielsonkin, Apr 27, 2012

too late, I filed the patent!!!

Erik Ohlson
Like?
In reply to superstar905, Apr 27, 2012

superstar905 wrote:

too late, I filed the patent!!!

Never even thought of it, although I did mention a couple of years ago that Panasonic could have a similar idea, free - Gratis - if only they would make that camera!!

I wouldn't know how to file a patent, but be aware, my DPR posts on it do establish priority, and this is not the first time it's been posted

-Erik

-- hide signature --

DP Review Supporter.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads