Megapixels: 16vs24vs36 For Pixel Peeping

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,261Gear list
Like?
Megapixels: 16vs24vs36 For Pixel Peeping
Apr 25, 2012

Download the "Original" full size jpgs and flip back and forth with your favorite viewer. The globe tells a resolution story.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51747496@N08/sets/72157629638464701/

NX2 raw conversion from the DPR files on the Nikons, ACR on the Sony. More megapixels do in fact give you better detail at ISO 100. The NEX7 is a tough nut to crack. I don't believe the D3200 will be as good as any of these based on the jpgs I've seen from it.

A 16MP D800e jpg froma Polish website is included and it is like Google Earth zooming into it. Moire is visible on the building in the background, but it is quite easy to remove with LR's handy moire brush. Nice to see the humble 70-300VR outresolving that sensor at f7.

Have a look at them on the largest monitor you can find. Old CRTs need not apply, nor should 720p laptop screens, although the differences are visible. A USB stick into the side of your favorite jumbo 1080p TV (Slideshow) will reduce the variables and give you a straight shot at the quality..

Nikon D3200 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Re: Megapixels: 16vs24vs36 For Pixel Peeping
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Apr 25, 2012

Moire is visible on the building in the background ....
Nice to see the humble 70-300VR outresolving that sensor at f7.

If you're thinking that the moiré means the lens is outresolving the sensor then I'd have to disagree.

The CFA pattern and the image data combine to allow moiré to be produced but this will happen without the lens out resolving the sensor.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Reilly Diefenbach
Like?
In reply to Deleted1929, Apr 25, 2012

No, it simply means that the D800e is probably more subject to moire, as advertised. Which has not stopped me from ordering one. If you zoom in far enough, the stairstep of the pixels is visible.

AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Apr 26, 2012

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Download the "Original" full size jpgs and flip back and forth with your favorite viewer. The globe tells a resolution story.

NX2 raw conversion from the DPR files on the Nikons, ACR on the Sony. More megapixels do in fact give you better detail at ISO 100. The NEX7 is a tough nut to crack. I don't believe the D3200 will be as good as any of these based on the jpgs I've seen from it.

A 16MP D800e jpg froma Polish website is included and it is like Google Earth zooming into it. Moire is visible on the building in the background, but it is quite easy to remove with LR's handy moire brush. Nice to see the humble 70-300VR outresolving that sensor at f7.

Have a look at them on the largest monitor you can find. Old CRTs need not apply, nor should 720p laptop screens, although the differences are visible. A USB stick into the side of your favorite jumbo 1080p TV (Slideshow) will reduce the variables and give you a straight shot at the quality..

Are you some sort of moron? First off, anyone can view them side by side on DPR's comparison tool, since this is where you got the samples from. You should at the very LEAST cite DPR as the source on your flickr page, since they have made them available to you. Secondly, you are saying based on comparing random OOC jpegs from a D3200 and a cheapo kit lens in variable lighting to controlled lighting, raw-converted studio shots from a NEX-7 using a 50/1.8 that the D3200 will not be as good as the NEX-7. How freaking flawed is that?! Finally, WTF are you talking about with your CRT and 720P comments??

Your post is so ignorant it makes my head hurt.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Reilly Diefenbach
Like?
In reply to AngryCorgi, Apr 26, 2012

Put a sock in it, little doggie.

joaquin100
Senior MemberPosts: 1,542Gear list
Like?

AngryCorgi wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Are you some sort of moron?

Finally, WTF are you talking about ...

Why to replay if you are in a temporary bad mood?

This kind of adjectives/attitude keep it for the time you face someone personally.

My Condolences.

AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?

NEWSFLASH! The 70-300VR doesn't outresolve a 12MP D200 at ANY FL or aperture, and it CERTAINLY doesn't outresolve a 16MP cropped D800. Nice try though.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Reilly Diefenbach
Like?

Little yapping corgi boy, would it be asking too much of you to STFU? Looking at your other posts, it appears that you are merely another pathetic rage-oholic bullying and blustering your way around the internet. Reminds us all of a certain foaming at the mouth Geordie boy who had the same first name until he was run out of town on a rail.

No gallery or website either, so we're deprived of your superior technique and compositional artistry. What a shame!

Clicking on ignore now and forever. Bye bye and be sure to take your meds. You know you've got some, now go get a glass of water and take them.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads