Is a tablet a suitable replacement for a Pentium 4 PC?

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions
wklee
Senior MemberPosts: 2,732
Like?
Is a tablet a suitable replacement for a Pentium 4 PC?
Apr 25, 2012

I've got an old P4 1.8 GHz PC but I'm wondering if a tablet is a suitable replacement for it? I only check mail and browse with it presently. I can't print after I decided to try PCLinuxOS on it even though Canon has Linux printer drivers on its website.

Are there ways of printing from Android/iPad? Should I stick to i3/i5 since Ivy Bridge based PCs since will out in a few months?

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.

Menneisyys
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?
Re: Is a tablet a suitable replacement for a Pentium 4 PC?
In reply to wklee, Apr 25, 2012

If you indeed don't do ANYTHING else (absolutely nothing!), then, you may find you're able to do all of your stuff on the iPad. However, don't dump that old P4, you may still need it - for example, for jailbreaking the iPad, should you ever need to do it.

Printing works if you purchase an AirPrint-compatible printer. (However, don't except much printer fine-tuning. You can't even enable toner saving. Also, printing Yahoo mails is nearly impossible.) If your (directly networked) printer isn't AirPrint-compatible, you may still make use of it if and when the iPad gets a jailbreak - printer hacks work juts great.

wklee wrote:

I've got an old P4 1.8 GHz PC but I'm wondering if a tablet is a suitable replacement for it? I only check mail and browse with it presently. I can't print after I decided to try PCLinuxOS on it even though Canon has Linux printer drivers on its website.

Are there ways of printing from Android/iPad? Should I stick to i3/i5 since Ivy Bridge based PCs since will out in a few months?

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Firstlight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to wklee, Apr 26, 2012

My i5-based Asus EP-121 does everything my laptop and my desktop tower does.

Mike

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +12 more
Blust
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to wklee, Apr 26, 2012

You might want to consider that not all websites are fully accessible with tablets. At least two of those that I regularly browse, don't display all their pictures or scroll bars on my iPad.

snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
In reply to wklee, Apr 27, 2012

In short, no, not yet. Especially the ones (ie Apple) that require a computer to support them.

It is tempting sometimes, but the tablets are not ready just yet.

To some extent, I can use my N8 as a computer replacement very easily, owing to the HDMI and the ability to plug a keyboard and mouse into it and the fact that is has Quick Office Pro in it.

However, it has limitations, but much less than the iPad. And I can play movies and on and on with it and use it for multimedia, torrenting, etc. Still not a full replacement. Especially for photo processing.

wklee
Like?
Thanks for your replies.
In reply to snake_b, Apr 27, 2012

That's what I needed to know. I was also looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab II as well. Snapseed will run on the 10.1 version and not the 7.0 one. I'll look into the i3/i5 PCs.

snake_b wrote:

In short, no, not yet. Especially the ones (ie Apple) that require a computer to support them.

It is tempting sometimes, but the tablets are not ready just yet.

To some extent, I can use my N8 as a computer replacement very easily, owing to the HDMI and the ability to plug a keyboard and mouse into it and the fact that is has Quick Office Pro in it.

However, it has limitations, but much less than the iPad. And I can play movies and on and on with it and use it for multimedia, torrenting, etc. Still not a full replacement. Especially for photo processing.

-- hide signature --

seeblue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166
Like?
Re: Thanks for your replies.

Actually, there isn't any requirement (any longer) to connect an iDevice to a PC/Mac; at all. Of course this will depend on how one uses their iPad. in the OP's case, he wouldn't need to connect to a PC/Mac. For example, I've never connected my iPhone 4S to a PC/Mac.

As noted earlier, you'll need an Airprint printer for printing from an iDevice:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356

Or, share your files over Dropbox with your PC (for example) and print from there.

An iPad connects in seconds to a Bluetooth keyboard for faster typing and the Dictation feature is also available. Using Pages, Keynote and Numbers ($10 ea.) and you've got medium duty desktop capability and compatibility with Windows docs.

As far as connectivity (mirroring), Mac users can "stream" all their iPad stuff like music, photos and video to a stereo or TV using Airplay, wirelessly. I use Dropbox and iCloud for file storage and sync.

Just clarifying a few points.

For what you want to do, an iPad WILL do all you do on your PC, but with better battery-life(!), portability, easier use, and more fun. You only may need to perform some processes a little bit differently. I haven't used any other tablets, so I can't comment on them.

wklee
Like?
In reply to seeblue, Apr 27, 2012

Or FingerPrint for non AirPrint compatible printers.
http://www.collobos.com/

I am also concerned that the 64GB might be insufficient if I shoot lots of RAW files?

seeblue wrote:

Actually, there isn't any requirement (any longer) to connect an iDevice to a PC/Mac; at all. Of course this will depend on how one uses their iPad. in the OP's case, he wouldn't need to connect to a PC/Mac. For example, I've never connected my iPhone 4S to a PC/Mac.

As noted earlier, you'll need an Airprint printer for printing from an iDevice:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356

Or, share your files over Dropbox with your PC (for example) and print from there.

An iPad connects in seconds to a Bluetooth keyboard for faster typing and the Dictation feature is also available. Using Pages, Keynote and Numbers ($10 ea.) and you've got medium duty desktop capability and compatibility with Windows docs.

As far as connectivity (mirroring), Mac users can "stream" all their iPad stuff like music, photos and video to a stereo or TV using Airplay, wirelessly. I use Dropbox and iCloud for file storage and sync.

Just clarifying a few points.

For what you want to do, an iPad WILL do all you do on your PC, but with better battery-life(!), portability, easier use, and more fun. You only may need to perform some processes a little bit differently. I haven't used any other tablets, so I can't comment on them.

-- hide signature --

seeblue
Like?

There are a lot of threads concerning shooting raw and using tablets over on the Mac Forum.

As far as photography, tablets sound like they are marginally suitable for raw photography or large file size JPEG shooting (I don't do it). It's a job for them at this point (memory and processor limitations). It's just too much to expect.

IMO, they aren't even designed (yet) for that kind of work, although it sounds like some people manage OK to do it anyway. You'll need a strategy to include the right software (storage/organize/process), a Cloud strategy, and multiple media back-up methods.

Running Aperture or Lightroom, raw processing and storage...a few years down the road...when a tablet officially equals a PC/Mac.

Michael Firstlight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to snake_b, Apr 27, 2012

Maybe that should be qualified, in short, Apple and Android- based tablets are not suitable replacements for a laptop or desktop. My Asus EP-121 Windows 64-bit tablet blows away many laptops and many desktops with great connectivity and full desktop application support. Insofar as storage goes, in addition to its 64GB SSD and 4GB RAM and a fast i5 processorit also supports 128GB SDXC cards which I use for additional on-board storage. Add to that full Wacom pen support right on its big bright profiled 12" display and my laptop nor desktop can match it. Running full office apps, Photoshop CS5, Lightroom and everything else I have on my laptop and desktop machines.

Just want to set the record straight for those that think that tablets are defined as only those that support Apple and Android OSes.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +12 more
wklee
Like?
In reply to Michael Firstlight, Apr 28, 2012

I noticed that there aren't any replacement models using Sandy Bridge for the EP121 successor. I hope it isn't a one off model.
--

Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,125
Like?
In reply to wklee, Apr 28, 2012

wklee wrote:

A tablet will do everything you've described above. You will probably have more fun using a tablet in these applications, as well.

Should I stick to i3/i5 since Ivy Bridge based PCs since will out in a few months?

Well, that depends on what else you want to do. For example, if you primarily shoots jpegs you may actually prefer working on a tablet. The photo editing apps are generally quick and easy to use with a touch interface. If you shoot RAW, tablets are insufficient for anything mor than light storage.

I honestly haven't touched my desktop since purchasing an ipad. I do, however, use a mbp for work. For recreational use, I think tablets are already "there".

seeblue
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, Apr 28, 2012

I agree with all you've said.

Further, if a high end Android/iOS tablet isn't powerful enough, the next step up in efficiency (battery-life and portability), convenience and power is a high end ultrabook or MacBook Air. Need more than that, then a laptop.

IMO, the worst solution is the same old "Windows laptop in a tablet" that a few companies have been trying to sell in some form for the last 10 years or so.

That may get fixed in 6-12 months (Windows tablet OS, slim form factor and decent battery life), but not sure I'd wait it out.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads