You guys are SO spoiled...

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,274
Like?
You guys are SO spoiled...
Apr 25, 2012

...this "light leak" (...good grief...) it's a minor, minor problem to which Canon is giving a quick, apt and supportive reply.

...You should have gone through the 1DMKIII AF torment to see what a problem actually is.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,105Gear list
Like?
Re: You guys are SO spoiled...
In reply to PhotoKhan, Apr 25, 2012

+1

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G1 X II Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
chrisP1
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?

Yes, you are right, it should just have been ignored.

chrisP1's gear list:chrisP1's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,274
Like?
In reply to chrisP1, Apr 25, 2012

chrisP1 wrote:

Yes, you are right, it should just have been ignored.

Nice try.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

jon lake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,575
Like?

+1. Most people here use their cameras to either photograph brick walls or as status symbols. If this light leak thing had never been mentioned 99% of punters would be none the wiser.

Jon

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 4,028
Like?

PhotoKhan wrote:

...this "light leak" (...good grief...) it's a minor, minor problem to which Canon is giving a quick, apt and supportive reply.

This is I believe a classic case summarised very well by Roger of Lens Rentals:

'Roger’s Rule of Problem Announcements: Once it's announced that 5% of lens X has a certain problem, 50% of the members of any online forum will announce their lens has the problem. Whether they own lens X or not.'

Just change the word 'lens' to 'body'.

wolfpuppies3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,747
Like?
+1 also

Light leak is a non issue. Auto focus with the original 1DIIIs was an issue.
--
Photography at the speed of sound.

phototeacher
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?
Re: +1 also
In reply to wolfpuppies3, Apr 25, 2012

Unfortunately, as someone posted in another thread on this issue, in 2-3 years the standard question to a seller of a used Mark III will be "was it sent to Canon for the light leak fix?" (Second only to "what is the date code on that lens?")

D. Robert Franz
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?
In reply to wolfpuppies3, Apr 25, 2012

then +2

wolfpuppies3 wrote:

Light leak is a non issue. Auto focus with the original 1DIIIs was an issue.
--
Photography at the speed of sound.

-- hide signature --
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 4,028
Like?
In reply to phototeacher, Apr 25, 2012

phototeacher wrote:

Unfortunately, as someone posted in another thread on this issue, in 2-3 years the standard question to a seller of a used Mark III will be "was it sent to Canon for the light leak fix?" (Second only to "what is the date code on that lens?")

Do you really think that will be the case? I don't think it will be. In 6 months or so virtually everyone will have completely forgotten about it. After all how many people ask if sellers if they have had the light baffle added to the 24-105L?

GaryJP
Like?
In reply to meland, Apr 25, 2012

Love that one.

meland wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

This is I believe a classic case summarised very well by Roger of Lens Rentals:

'Roger’s Rule of Problem Announcements: Once it's announced that 5% of lens X has a certain problem, 50% of the members of any online forum will announce their lens has the problem. Whether they own lens X or not.'

Just change the word 'lens' to 'body'.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 II Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G1 X II Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Apewithacamera
Senior MemberPosts: 2,241
Like?
I'm waiting for someone to coin the phrase, the

Light leak fiasco . LOL

kimvette
Senior MemberPosts: 1,258
Like?
In reply to jon lake, Apr 25, 2012

jon lake wrote:

+1. Most people here use their cameras to either photograph brick walls or as status symbols.

. . . or for flowers and cats!

http://kottke.org/10/04/stages-of-a-photographer

If this light leak thing had never been mentioned 99% of punters would be none the wiser.

Jon

-- hide signature --

Caution: Do not stare into laser with remaining eye.

Matt Brennan
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
In reply to jon lake, Apr 25, 2012

jon lake wrote:

+1. Most people here use their cameras to either photograph brick walls or as status symbols. If this light leak thing had never been mentioned 99% of punters would be none the wiser.

I have to say that I just cannot agree with your comment.

Here's why (example).

My car has been found to roll onto its roof if it exceeds 100 mph in a normal highway off-ramp. However, since most owners never come close to that exit speed they'd be better off not knowing about the issue.

We buy items in "good faith" meaning that we place our trust in the manufacturer's ability to meet the stated specs AND in their honesty to report and fix all issues that are identified.

If we allow unknown parties to choose which issues are worthy of announcement and which issues are best kept secret, this mindset will lead to endless problems in manufacturing standards and product performance. Likewise, it will shatter buyer confidence.

tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,454
Like?
you whiners don't get it

The purpose of this forum is to discuss technical issues. Minor, major, real or not. Better understanding is, well, always better.

They seems to be a small but vocal minority who thinks DISCUSSING things is the same as complaining, and shouldn't be allowed.

It's true Canon shouldn't have let the problem out. It's true we need to be aware of it for the time it might impact.

Awareness and open discussion is always good. Hiding you head in the sand is stupid. How do you know the impact unless you discuss it? But some trolls want to dismiss it w/o even owning the camera, or testing it. It's just nope, doesn't impact you.

Hey, I thought the 1DMKIII AF was all in your head

PhotoKhan wrote:

...You should have gone through the 1DMKIII AF torment to see what a problem actually is.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

GaryJP
Like?
Re: you whiners don't get it
In reply to tko, Apr 25, 2012

tko wrote:

How do you know the impact unless you discuss it? But some trolls want to dismiss it w/o even owning the camera, or testing it.

Just the opposite. The people who have it in their hands are overwhelmingly NOT the ones complaining. You can count on one hand the ones who have it and are.

This is a sour grapes issue for those who do NOT have it and are trying to justify not shelling out for it.

God, if people chose wives or girlfriends the same way as they fuss over cameras the gene pool would definitely be shrinking.

-- hide signature --
John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,633Gear list
Like?
+1 shrinking gene pool
In reply to GaryJP, Apr 25, 2012

great comment!
--
John Mason - Lafayette, IN

http://www.fototime.com/inv/407B931C53A9D9D

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Mike Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 1,068
Like?
In reply to Matt Brennan, Apr 25, 2012

Bad analogy... a car roll at 100mph will kill you.

Better analogy would be that instead of rolling, your car's radio volume would reduce by 2-3 decibels while cornering at 100 mph....

Mike

kenwj
Contributing MemberPosts: 570Gear list
Like?

$3,500 camera. Lot of money. Any issues, regardless of how insignificant, should be announced and fixed if the owner wants it fixed.

Frankly I would trust a company much, much more if they announced every little issue. This tells me that they are reputible and honest and really stand behind their products and want you to have the best user experience possible.

If you found out about any issues after the fact that they did not disclose how would you feel about them? The fact that they own up to even insignificant problems is a good thing.

kenwj's gear list:kenwj's gear list
Nikon D800
Scott Larson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,303Gear list
Like?

PhotoKhan wrote:

It was so bad that I was in my camera store ready to buy a D3 and unload my Canon lenses before Canon approved an exchange for a new 1D Mark III. I expected absolutely no improvement since my defective camera had gone to Canon three times for repair with no change. It only took me ten minutes at a basketball game to see I was using a totally different camera which I still use today.

For seven months I had used a camera that could not focus on anything while Canon's so-called "technical support" blamed me for not understanding how their magnificent autofocus system worked. I still haven't forgiven Canon for this and I don't send anything in for repair unless I absolutely have to.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads