Great wide lens found

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions
AshMills
Contributing MemberPosts: 813Gear list
Like?
Great wide lens found
Apr 25, 2012
 AshMills's gear list:AshMills's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 34,587Gear list
Like?
Re: Great wide lens found
In reply to AshMills, Apr 25, 2012
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Owen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,176
Like?
Re: Great wide lens found
In reply to AshMills, Apr 25, 2012

How much was the lens new in 1970?

Owen

Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,996Gear list
Like?
$26,000 in 1992...
In reply to Owen, Apr 26, 2012

Owen wrote:

I don't know. But Nikon was still building them to order about 20 years ago. I ordered one, and I believe it was $26,000. In advance, with a 9 month lead time.

Very much like having a child.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
stephenmelvin
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,547
Like?
Where is it now?
In reply to Joseph S Wisniewski, Apr 26, 2012

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

Owen wrote:

I don't know. But Nikon was still building them to order about 20 years ago. I ordered one, and I believe it was $26,000. In advance, with a 9 month lead time.

Did you order it for yourself? I assume for a company you were working for, with that kind of budget.

A little less messy, perhaps.

-- hide signature --

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

-- hide signature --
jon lake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,577
Like?
Wow. Where to get a CPL for that!!!
In reply to stephenmelvin, Apr 26, 2012

And yes, I know it wouldn't work properly!

mandm
Regular MemberPosts: 464Gear list
Like?
I used the 6mm 2.8 Nikkor in 1970
In reply to stephenmelvin, Apr 28, 2012

In the old days EPOI (Nikon distributor in the US), offered a 2 day class for owners of the 'F', it included lunch and the whole event was free. I attended in 1970 (I was 17 years old) in Minneapolis and the class was limited to 50 people so we all had a chance to use the equipment in the hotel conference room or outside in the courtyard.

One of the Nikon speakers told of using the 6mm 2.8 in Washington DC, he wanted to take a picture of the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial while between the 2! He explained that he set the self timer, placed his camera facing up and ran to hide behind a tree. After doing a few pic's he noticed the park police watching him, they never stopped or asked him want he was doing. Today the swat team would be on him. He showed us the slides, great pic's as the 220 degree view showed the grass all around and the 2 monuments at each end in the same pic.

He also explained how good the coatings were on the Nikkor lenses and that the top coating was so hard you could rub out a lit cigar on it, and then he did!

mandmp; 100% of my income since 1972 has been due to a camera. My hobby turned into an enjoyable & profitable career.

mandm's gear list:mandm's gear list
Nikon Df
Joseph S Wisniewski
Like?
A little outfit called Ford...
In reply to stephenmelvin, Apr 28, 2012

stephenmelvin wrote:

Owen wrote:

Did you order it for yourself?

For a specific project, modeling incident light.

I assume for a company you were working for, with that kind of budget.

At Ford, I used to end up on some pretty high budget projects.

The lens was for the object modeling system. That was about a million dollar toy. I gave Adrays one of the biggest single purchase orders in their history: it included 32 setups with Canon D30 DSLRs and 3 lenses per camera, about $160K. Those went into a sort of a geodesic dome structure. There were 8 PCs, each camera feeding four PCs. It could take a 30 angle view of a car, or other large object, in a single shot. Few hundred thousand for the software.

One configuration put 24 or 30 cameras in a circle, and we were doing "bullet time" years before "The Matrix".

The biggest purchase order I ever wrote was $14,000,000.

A little less messy, perhaps.

You've never worked for Ford.

-- hide signature --

Ciao! Joseph

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,827
Like?
Re: A little outfit called Ford...
In reply to Joseph S Wisniewski, Apr 28, 2012

Impressive, thanks for sharing Joe. One wonders if the lens isn't sitting in a warehouse somewhere with a fixed asset tag, inventoried twice a year and stuck on a shelf.

Cheers,
Doug
--
http://www.pbase.com/dougj/birds_birds_birds
http://www.pbase.com/dougj

Joseph S Wisniewski
Like?
stuck on a shelf...
In reply to Doug J, Apr 28, 2012

Doug J wrote:

Impressive, thanks for sharing Joe. One wonders if the lens isn't sitting in a warehouse somewhere with a fixed asset tag, inventoried twice a year and stuck on a shelf.

I hope not. That would be a terrible fate for such a thing of beauty. It belongs either in use for some scientific application, or on display in a collection.

Although most of that lens's uses have been replaced by either stitching techniques, or a dodecahedron of cameras, it still has uses, when you need your > 180 degree sky dome to be taken in a single shot. We could get lighting on a flash exposure.

-- hide signature --

Ciao! Joseph

Joseph S Wisniewski
Like?
Hhhmmmmn?
In reply to JulesJ, Apr 28, 2012

JulesJ wrote:

Hhhmmmmn?

That added a lot to the conversation.

-- hide signature --

Ciao! Joseph

Joseph S Wisniewski
Like?
Behind the lens...
In reply to jon lake, Apr 28, 2012

jon lake wrote:

And yes, I know it wouldn't work properly!

You wouldn't need a circular, because the lens is so wide that the matrix metering system and the focus aids are irrelevant. You can put a linear polarizer behind the lens.

That does have some scientific uses, but not with our application.

-- hide signature --

Ciao! Joseph

Joseph S Wisniewski
Like?
Awesome...
In reply to mandm, Apr 28, 2012

mandm wrote:

In the old days EPOI (Nikon distributor in the US), offered a 2 day class for owners of the 'F', it included lunch and the whole event was free. I attended in 1970 (I was 17 years old) in Minneapolis and the class was limited to 50 people so we all had a chance to use the equipment in the hotel conference room or outside in the courtyard.

One of the Nikon speakers told of using the 6mm 2.8 in Washington DC, he wanted to take a picture of the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial while between the 2! He explained that he set the self timer, placed his camera facing up and ran to hide behind a tree. After doing a few pic's he noticed the park police watching him, they never stopped or asked him want he was doing. Today the swat team would be on him. He showed us the slides, great pic's as the 220 degree view showed the grass all around and the 2 monuments at each end in the same pic.

He also explained how good the coatings were on the Nikkor lenses and that the top coating was so hard you could rub out a lit cigar on it, and then he did!

Impressive. I'd have been more leery of thermoshocking the lens. I bet he did it near the edge, where the glass is 50mm thick, not in the thin part in the center.

mandmp; 100% of my income since 1972 has been due to a camera. My hobby turned into an enjoyable & profitable career.

Cool.

I love stories like this. People like that distributor who went out of their way to inspire people, and it rippling down through the years.

Oddly enough, it was some Oly guys who had the most effect on me.

-- hide signature --

Ciao! Joseph

MaxTux
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
And the lens hood?
In reply to Joseph S Wisniewski, Apr 29, 2012

You wouldn't need a circular [CPL], because the lens is so wide that the matrix metering system and the focus aids are irrelevant. You can put a linear polarizer behind the lens.

And the lens hood? Was it included (or even built in? like on my 135/2.8?) or did you have to buy it separately?

MaxTux

jon lake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,577
Like?
Re: And the lens hood?
In reply to MaxTux, Apr 29, 2012

I presume the angle of view is so broad that a lens hood would be in the field of view. Was flare a problem?

MaxTux wrote:

You wouldn't need a circular [CPL], because the lens is so wide that the matrix metering system and the focus aids are irrelevant. You can put a linear polarizer behind the lens.

And the lens hood? Was it included (or even built in? like on my 135/2.8?) or did you have to buy it separately?

MaxTux

mandm
Regular MemberPosts: 464Gear list
Like?
Re: And the lens hood?/Impossible
In reply to jon lake, Apr 29, 2012

It a 6mm f2.8 to f22, angle of view of 220 degrees, it sees behind the lens! 12 elements in 9 groups, it produces a 23mm diameter circle on the film. Close focus is .9 feet. Weight is 11.5 lbs (5.2kg)! 236mm dia x 171mm long It has built in filters of L1A, Y48, Y52, O56, R60 and XO, use your thumb to rotate the built in disk to use the filter you want.

When this lens was introduced in 1970 Nikon already had a 6mm f5.6 Fish-eye that had a 220 degree angle of view that put a 21.6mm circle on the film. It has the same built in filters as the 6.3mm f2.8 does, but only weights 430g. and list price was $895.00 in 1969.

Nikon liked wide lenses in the 1960's and 70's, they had a 10mm f5.6 list $687.50, 8mm f2.8, 8mm f8.0 and a 7.5mm f5.6 list $499.50, all with an angle of view of 180 degree.
All list prices are from the February 1, 1969 Nikon price list.
--

mandm's gear list:mandm's gear list
Nikon Df
MaxTux
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
nothing's impossible...
In reply to mandm, Apr 29, 2012

An inverted cone comes to mind. And keep the sun not over your left shoulder, but pointing straight at where the sun (normally) don't shine. At any rate, I'll never buy this lens unless they include the hood.

MaxTux

Boxbrownie
Regular MemberPosts: 488Gear list
Like?
Re: A little outfit called Ford...
In reply to Joseph S Wisniewski, Apr 30, 2012

Thats interesting, where you a Photographer at Ford in the states?

Best regards David

Diopter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,830
Like?
samples?
In reply to AshMills, May 4, 2012

Neither linked article nor this nice conversation does not bring any samples and comparisons with the over-the-counter wide angle lenses.
Interesting.

ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,123Gear list
Like?
Beasts from teh past
In reply to AshMills, May 4, 2012

Slightly longer 8mm f2.8 can be found here http://www.cameras.net.au/secondhand.php for $4250 if anyone interested and the review is on KR site.
cheers
have nothing to do with ECS, just a customer.

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads