Did e-bay pull a plug on D300/D300s?

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions
nkarasev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?
Did e-bay pull a plug on D300/D300s?
Apr 25, 2012

Just wanted to check what is the current going price for used ones on e-bay and guess what - none found (other than for around $1600 or even higher)!

I must be typing something wrong using these terms:
D300
D300s
Nikon D300
Nikon D300s body only
and so on...

Not that I desperately want to get rid of mine (it is a fine camera), but I do need an upgrade to better ISO DX for what I like to shoot.

Nik

Nikon D300 Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
azguy
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,096
Like?
Re: Did e-bay pull a plug on D300/D300s?
In reply to nkarasev, Apr 25, 2012

Don't know about eBay, but there are many available on the Internet. Just do a Google search.

JohnE
Some of my work is shown here:
http://www.biltmorephoto.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kris in CT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,455Gear list
Like?

Ebay's default search engine has changed a little. It pops up with all d300 in a group. try this http://www.ebay.com/sch/Digital-Cameras-/31388/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A6064&rt=nc&_nkw=nikon+d300&_catref=1&_dmpt=Digital_Cameras&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=1&_sc=1 Search, select digital cameras on the left, then select ending soonest or high to low, etc.. in the "sort by" drop down

Kris in CT's gear list:Kris in CT's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +3 more
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,693
Like?

eBay does not "pull the plug" on anything. It's an auction site, so if anyone has anything to sell they can sell it on eBay.

Anyway, a simple search on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Digital-Cameras-/31388/i.html?_nkw=nikon+d300

I really don't understand what you want to say with this thread.

If you want to get rid of your D300 what's the problem?
If you want to buy another D300/D300s/D7000, again, what's the problem?

nkarasev
Like?
In reply to olyflyer, Apr 26, 2012

olyflyer wrote:

eBay does not "pull the plug" on anything. It's an auction site, so if anyone has anything to sell they can sell it on eBay.

I stated exactly what I wanted to state - to figure out whether e-bay has put a plug on D300 (ok, this is a joke if some don't see it) and gave a reason for the thinking so - can't see much if any D300 sold that are used.

The page search you refer to gives all the same items that I saw myself - a few new bodies and basically none used.

I think you are over-reacting, my friend.

Nik

nkarasev
Like?
In reply to azguy, Apr 26, 2012

azguy wrote:

Don't know about eBay, but there are many available on the Internet. Just do a Google search.

Ebay is a good indicator (also CL to some degree) for what you could expect for your gear. All other internet places is not where I would go to sell.

Of course, dealing with reputable re-sellers like KEH, Adorama and even B&H is more secure, but you also get 1/2 of that ebay's price.

I was expecting hundreds if not thousands of D300 available on ebay and found only one or two in the US. This just surprised me.

Nik

nkarasev
Like?
In reply to Kris in CT, Apr 26, 2012

Kris in CT wrote:

Ebay's default search engine has changed a little. It pops up with all d300 in a group. try this http://www.ebay.com/sch/Digital-Cameras-/31388/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A6064&rt=nc&_nkw=nikon+d300&_catref=1&_dmpt=Digital_Cameras&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=1&_sc=1 Search, select digital cameras on the left, then select ending soonest or high to low, etc.. in the "sort by" drop down

Thanks! This was basically the answer I was looking for

Nik

olyflyer
Like?
In reply to nkarasev, Apr 26, 2012

nkarasev wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

I stated exactly what I wanted to state - to figure out whether e-bay has put a plug on D300 (ok, this is a joke if some don't see it) and gave a reason for the thinking so - can't see much if any D300 sold that are used.

First...

It was not clear that you meant it as a joke. Nobody is laughing, so I guess we are all stupid except you.

Second...

It was not clear if you want to buy or sell, at least not for me.

Third...

If you are looking for used bodies you should be able to find quite a few.

The page search you refer to gives all the same items that I saw myself - a few new bodies and basically none used.

Doing a search gives me quite a few used ones anyway, but perhaps you do something differently and your eBay search works different from mine. Try these links:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Nikon-D300S-12-3-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Body-Only-/100166328?_dmpt=Digital_Cameras&_pcategid=31388&_pcatid=782&_refkw=d300&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A6064&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Nikon-D300-12-3-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Body-Only-/100059274?_dmpt=Digital_Cameras&_pcategid=31388&_pcatid=782&_refkw=d300&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A6064&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Sorry, I don't want to be rude but last time I looked we were not friends... "friend" seems to mean something else to me than it does to you. As a matter of fact, finishing a message the way you did means quite the opposite to me, "my friend".

BTW, I still don’t understand what you wanted to say with this thread, you want to buy or you want to sell, or what. I mean, it does not seem to be a problem to buy or to sell, but sure, eBay is not flooded with D300 bodies, which I think means that people are quite happy with it, which is good. In other words, the one who seems overreacting is you. I just wanted to help you. Sorry I bothered.

arizonadesertrat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,319Gear list
Like?

nkarasev wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Nik

Wouldn't be the first time.
--
Fiat Lux

arizonadesertrat's gear list:arizonadesertrat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +12 more
olyflyer
Like?
In reply to arizonadesertrat, Apr 26, 2012

arizonadesertrat wrote:

nkarasev wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Nik

Wouldn't be the first time.

Sorry you're having a bad day. Cheer up, tomorrow is another day.

Danny W.
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?

nkarasev wrote:

Just wanted to check what is the current going price for used ones on e-bay and guess what - none found (other than for around $1600 or even higher)!

D300
D300s
Nikon D300
Nikon D300s body only
and so on...

Not that I desperately want to get rid of mine (it is a fine camera), but I do need an upgrade to better ISO DX for what I like to shoot.

Nik

Not sure why you can't find them--I just searched Ebay for "Nikon 300 Body" and set the search results to show highest price first. After I scrolled down past the new ones I found a ton of used d300/300s listings. Stopped counting at 30, but there was another page of them after that.

Danny W.

Kris in CT
Like?
In reply to nkarasev, Apr 27, 2012

Currently there are 80 used d300 on ebay. The link I provided shows the results on the left...
New (28)
New other (see details) (5)
Manufacturer refurbished (5)
Seller refurbished (1)
Used (80)
For parts or not working (2)
Not Specified (2)

Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +3 more
Kris in CT
Like?
They pulled the plug on this
In reply to olyflyer, Apr 27, 2012

olyflyer wrote:

Not quite true I just purchased a cheap knock off of a very well known dual camera strap (I wont mention any brands). I paid for it and the next morning I recieved this from ebay...

We're writing to let you know that this listing for an item you won or bid on is no longer available:

310394838200 - Heavy-duty Quick Double Shoulder Sling Black Dual Strap Belt Strap For 2 Cameras

We understand this may be disappointing, but occasionally we need to remove listings. There are several reasons why we may remove listings, for example:
-- The listing doesn't follow eBay guidelines.

-- hide signature --

The item isn't allowed on eBay or can only be listed under certain conditions.

-- The listing contains pictures or words that may create copyright or trademark issues.

If the seller offers you the item outside of eBay, don't accept the offer. These types of transactions aren't covered by eBay buyer protection programs.

olyflyer
Like?
Re: They pulled the plug on this
In reply to Kris in CT, Apr 27, 2012

Kris in CT wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Not quite true I just purchased a cheap knock off of a very well known dual camera strap (I wont mention any brands). I paid for it and the next morning I recieved this from ebay...

We're writing to let you know that this listing for an item you won or bid on is no longer available:

310394838200 - Heavy-duty Quick Double Shoulder Sling Black Dual Strap Belt Strap For 2 Cameras

We understand this may be disappointing, but occasionally we need to remove listings. There are several reasons why we may remove listings, for example:
-- The listing doesn't follow eBay guidelines.

-- hide signature --

The item isn't allowed on eBay or can only be listed under certain conditions.

-- The listing contains pictures or words that may create copyright or trademark issues.

I am sorry for your bad experience, but that's not what I meant. Of course, there are unserious sellers who list items they don't have or might not have permission to sell, like fake "originals", but in any case, assuming you are following the rules, you can sell anything on eBay. Fraud is a different thing. In any case, there is no stop for selling cameras. There may not be that many D300 because the users are happy and not selling, not because eBay stopped the auctions. If they stop a D300 auction it is because of other rule breaking, not because of the camera in question.

BTW, did you get your money back?

If the seller offers you the item outside of eBay, don't accept the offer. These types of transactions aren't covered by eBay buyer protection programs.

Of course you are right. I would never accept offers outside the formal channel. Far too high risks involved in my opinion. But... there are other auction sites as well; they might be just as good/bad as eBay.

olyflyer
Like?
In reply to Danny W., Apr 27, 2012

Danny W. wrote:

nkarasev wrote:

D300
D300s
Nikon D300
Nikon D300s body only
and so on...

Nik

Not sure why you can't find them--I just searched Ebay for "Nikon 300 Body" and set the search results to show highest price first. After I scrolled down past the new ones I found a ton of used d300/300s listings. Stopped counting at 30, but there was another page of them after that.

Maybe he is living in a country which the sellers don't want to ship to... Just because his profile says he is from USA, and mine says I am from Sweden that's not necessarily true. I can be living in Zimbabwe and he somewhere else.

Otherwise it seems strange that he can't find used D300 because sure, there were plenty when I looked as well. The eBay search works with different filters, perhaps he activated the wrong one.

nkarasev
Like?
In reply to olyflyer, Apr 27, 2012

olyflyer wrote:

Danny W. wrote:

nkarasev wrote:

D300
D300s
Nikon D300
Nikon D300s body only
and so on...

Nik

Maybe he is living in a country which the sellers don't want to ship to... Just because his profile says he is from USA, and mine says I am from Sweden that's not necessarily true. I can be living in Zimbabwe and he somewhere else.

Otherwise it seems strange that he can't find used D300 because sure, there were plenty when I looked as well. The eBay search works with different filters, perhaps he activated the wrong one.

Oh, yeh - I live in a country called Zimbabwe with the zip code of Chicago

nkarasev
Like?
In reply to nkarasev, Apr 27, 2012

Well, thanks to everybody who replied!

The truth is my hand's typing likely did something wrong in the first place so I couldn't find any D300 for sale (crappy laptop keyboard maybe?)

I did finally see all the cameras mentioned, thanks for insightful posters.

Just for the records: I do own D300 and love it. I just sometimes need the much higher ISO (one like D700 has as a minimum) and I am looking for a replacement just because of that. I only wanted to see what is the current going price on 'bay. Where or when or whether I will sell mine - we will have to see.

Have a good one!

Nik (from Chicago)

Danny W.
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?
In reply to olyflyer, Apr 28, 2012

olyflyer wrote:

The OP said he couldn't find any for sale, not that no one wanted to ship to him.

Danny W.

Irwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,718
Like?
In reply to nkarasev, Apr 28, 2012

Do a advanced search with completed listing and you could see the going rate.

Kris in CT
Like?
Re: They pulled the plug on this
In reply to olyflyer, Apr 28, 2012

Ironically, I received my cheap knockoff strap today, so it was an honest seller, my guess is a copyright issue since there is a "K" instead of an "R" on the right shoulder. I actually wanted it to modify so one strap screws into my tripod mount, and the other into my camera body, since I'm so paranoid about dropping my camera with my 500 on it...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads