GM building cars IN China!

Started Apr 25, 2012 | Discussions
itchhh
Senior MemberPosts: 6,841
Like?
Re: GM building cars IN China!
In reply to Wheatfield, Apr 25, 2012

You people have eaten your cake, and now you don't have cake. That's the way it works when you stop baking cakes but keep eating them.
Get used to not having cake.

You are 100% correct!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JasonMI
Contributing MemberPosts: 576
Like?
Re: GM building cars IN China!
In reply to Rupert Bottomsworth, Apr 25, 2012

GM still owes about 28 billion to the U.S. Government, but expects to be paid off this year. The caveat is that is in stocks; GM's 'loan' portion is totally paid off. Not sure how much Chrysler owes or in what form.

Rupert Bottomsworth wrote:
I might be wrong, but hasn't GM payback all the bailout money it received?

itchhh wrote:

GM to add 600 dealerships to China network, expand production, introduce a Cadillac a year

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/gm-to-add-600-dealerships-to-china-network-expand-production-introduce-a-cadillac-a-year/2012/04/23/gIQAk9QkbT_story.html

Why can't these cars be built in Detroit by Americans? With all of the money spent on bailing out GM I'd say they should be doing everything they can to drive jobs here in America versus China.

OBAMA WHERE ARE YOU?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YoHahnMD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,954
Like?
Re: GM building cars IN China!
In reply to Wheatfield, Apr 25, 2012

Wheatfield wrote:

It is interesting that Americans are whining about domestic car manufacturers setting up shop in foreign countries. I'm fairly certain that Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Mazda would have preferred to keep their car manufacturing at home, but were forced to set up factories in America by protectionist American policies that said build them here for face really high duties if you want to import them.

What is it about American that they think they have a natural right to have their cake and to eat it too?

You people have eaten your cake, and now you don't have cake. That's the way it works when you stop baking cakes but keep eating them.
Get used to not having cake.

Actually . . . you are wrong once again!

It was actually more profitable for them to build their cars here than it was to ship them overseas from Japan or wherever else, considering they sold more vehicles here in the USA than they did in their own country of origin.

-- hide signature --

Vote NoBama for Ex-President in 2012

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lownine
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,032
Like?
Re: GM building cars IN China!
In reply to Rupert Bottomsworth, Apr 25, 2012

Rupert Bottomsworth wrote:

I might be wrong, but hasn't GM payback all the bailout money it received?

Before you get too excited, don't forget how much easier that task became after our President threw out the bankruptcy law and decided it would be much more convenient - for him - to hose all the GM bondholders who should have been first in line. Instead, they were thrown off a cliff. (Remember those commercials showing Paul Ryan pushing a lady in a wheelchair off a cliff? Funny, we never saw one featuring our President and GM's creditors.)

Sure, they paid it back. Now let's see if they can get the market cap up so that we don't have to take a bath on the stock price. (I'm speaking now to US citizens.) Would you like that, Mr. GM stockholder? What's that? You don't own shares of GM, you say? Guess again.

Isn't that strange that GM's biggest shareholder is also Strangler-In-Chief for business?

Stu

Stu

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fresch
Contributing MemberPosts: 928Gear list
Like?
Re: GM building cars IN China!
In reply to itchhh, Apr 25, 2012

To sell in china they must own a percentage, GM has manuf. all over the world, you can not compete with slaves.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hjr13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,158Gear list
Like?
Re: GM building cars IN China!
In reply to YoHahnMD, Apr 25, 2012

YoHahnMD wrote:

Actually . . . you are wrong once again!

It was actually more profitable for them to build their cars here than it was to ship them overseas from Japan or wherever else, considering they sold more vehicles here in the USA than they did in their own country of origin.

Actually It is cheaper to make cars here because we are having a race to the bottom in wages. We are becoming a 3 world country to europe on wages and benefits.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JasonMI
Contributing MemberPosts: 576
Like?
Re: GM building cars IN China!
In reply to YoHahnMD, Apr 26, 2012

YoHahnMD wrote:

Wheatfield wrote:

It is interesting that Americans are whining about domestic car manufacturers setting up shop in foreign countries. I'm fairly certain that Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Mazda would have preferred to keep their car manufacturing at home, but were forced to set up factories in America by protectionist American policies that said build them here for face really high duties if you want to import them.

What is it about American that they think they have a natural right to have their cake and to eat it too?

You people have eaten your cake, and now you don't have cake. That's the way it works when you stop baking cakes but keep eating them.
Get used to not having cake.

Actually . . . you are wrong once again!

It was actually more profitable for them to build their cars here than it was to ship them overseas from Japan or wherever else, considering they sold more vehicles here in the USA than they did in their own country of origin.

-- hide signature --

Vote NoBama for Ex-President in 2012
--

And once again; I'll ask you to do what you refused to do before, and were proven wrong on. Provide facts. You said you went to school in Lansing, which must have been LCC (last chance college); I assume you worked for the State Journal, which is the worst rag in the state.

Provide some proof for just once. Just once!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?
Re: GM building cars IN China!
In reply to YoHahnMD, Apr 26, 2012

YoHahnMD wrote:

Wheatfield wrote:

It is interesting that Americans are whining about domestic car manufacturers setting up shop in foreign countries. I'm fairly certain that Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Mazda would have preferred to keep their car manufacturing at home, but were forced to set up factories in America by protectionist American policies that said build them here for face really high duties if you want to import them.

What is it about American that they think they have a natural right to have their cake and to eat it too?

You people have eaten your cake, and now you don't have cake. That's the way it works when you stop baking cakes but keep eating them.
Get used to not having cake.

Actually . . . you are wrong once again!

It was actually more profitable for them to build their cars here than it was to ship them overseas from Japan or wherever else, considering they sold more vehicles here in the USA than they did in their own country of origin.

Were that the case, why did it take the threat of punitive duties to make the Japanese car manufacturers see the light?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Don_D
Forum ProPosts: 12,022Gear list
Like?
COST....
In reply to itchhh, Apr 26, 2012

itchhh wrote:

There is no reason why we can't build these Cadillacs here in America and ship them over there.

There is one big reason...COST....(Chinese labor vs US labor and shipping charges) or perhaps you'd prefer to have GM lose the China market because their prices were too high.

I'd think you'd be happy to see an American Company doing well in China.

-- hide signature --
 Don_D's gear list:Don_D's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
Re: GM building cars IN China!
In reply to YoHahnMD, Apr 26, 2012

yea - - my son worked for them in Tennessee at the Spring Hill factory - he was one of the causalities of killing all of the factories that just happened to be in right to work states. Although at the time it closed it was no longer a Saturn plant they stopped producing Saturns there in 2007 and my son was laid off for 18 months when they retooled , I believe at the time of closing they were producing the Chevy Avalanche if I am not mistaken.

YoHahnMD wrote:

There is nobody left in Detroit to fill those jobs . . . they've all moved away to other states!

Detroit is now pretty much a ghost town . . .

When I left Michigan years ago . . . I had a bumper sticker on my car that read "Will the last one out of Michigan please turn out the lights?".

Interestingly enough, NoBama forced GM to close their only profitable division, Saturn, because they were a non-union car manufacturer in return for the bailout money!

Can you say "Union kickbacks"?

-- hide signature --

Vote NoBama for Ex-President in 2012
--

 edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YoHahnMD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,954
Like?
Re: GM building cars IN China!
In reply to JasonMI, Apr 26, 2012

JasonMI wrote:

You said you went to school in Lansing, which must have been LCC (last chance college); I assume you worked for the State Journal, which is the worst rag in the state.

Apparently you don't know what they say about assuming . . .

I'll let you try and figure it out.

-- hide signature --

Vote NoBama for Ex-President in 2012

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
Most bibles are printed IN China too!
In reply to itchhh, Apr 26, 2012

itchhh wrote:

Why can't these cars be built in Detroit by Americans?

Unions. Cost of oil. Greed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?
Re: Most bibles are printed IN China too!
In reply to Ubilam, Apr 26, 2012

Try and find an American flag that isn't made in China....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YoHahnMD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,954
Like?
Re: Most bibles are printed IN China too!
In reply to Wheatfield, Apr 26, 2012

Wheatfield wrote:

Try and find an American flag that isn't made in China....

Try and find anything made in Canada . . .

-- hide signature --

Vote NoBama for Ex-President in 2012

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads