50D image quality

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions
Abaldman11
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
50D image quality
Apr 24, 2012

Has anyone else been less than satisfied with their 50D image quality? When I first got mine I thought the images were good but not as sharp as they could be. I then learned about the microfocus adjust and became only slightly more satisfied. Then things went down hill and my images went soft. So I sent my camera in for the factory to look at it. It came back and I went through re-calibrating all of my lenses again. Well two years later it has happened again. This time in the middle of a major architecture shoot. I got home, downloaded the images and walla soft focus. Very upsetting to me and my client. Fortunately these were going to be nothing more than small images on a website and I was able to sharpen them a bit in PS. But I couldn't imagine if these were going to go to print. I'd never let them out this way for print and I would be forced to reshoot the house. I have since sent my camera back for the factory to look at, again, and got nailed for $238 for them to fix the problem with no guarantee that it won't happen again. Believe me I'm looking forward to re-calibrating all of my lenses AGAIN too.

To add insult to injury, I figured it would be worth a try to talk to someone at Canon and see if there was anyway to get them to waive or reduce the fee. HA. Right. The rep on phone basically told me that there was nothing they could do. The camera was out of warranty and that their warranty on repairs was only 6 months. Then he proceeded to tell me that if I'm a professional that I should sell the 50D and move up to a 1DS series camera. Yeah right. I wish I could but I can't justify shelling out that kind of coin right now. Business is good, but not that good.
--
Jim Albert
Full Frame Fotography
fffimages@yahoo.com

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ronzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285
Like?
Re: 50D image quality
In reply to Abaldman11, Apr 24, 2012

What did the repair report show was the problem.
--
Ron Ginsberg
Minneapolis, MN
Land of 10,000 Puddles

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigdaddave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033
Like?
Yes
In reply to Abaldman11, Apr 25, 2012

I've had loads of dslr's including 20D, 40D, 50D etc and the 50D was the only one I really couldn't get on with for image quality.

The body is lovely but the sensor is noisy and the files are very difficult to process with color I didn't like.

The Xsi, 40D, 550D are all brilliant but the 15 meg sensor is rubbish IMO

Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,423Gear list
Like?

I loved my 50D. Had a very hard time deciding whether to give it up for the 7D. Consistent sharp images.

300L F4 IS with a 1.4 converter.

Crop

-- hide signature --

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.

Homer Simpson

Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
bigdaddave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033
Like?
In reply to Zee Char, Apr 25, 2012

NOISY!

Look at the noise in the blue sky!

ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,777
Like?
In reply to bigdaddave, Apr 25, 2012

rep telling real estate interior shooter to get a 1D? thats just nuts.

Real Estate shooting is a pretty hard business to be in, unless you get a lot of work all the time.

Zee Char
Like?
In reply to bigdaddave, Apr 25, 2012

You mean the crop? Not surprising. I did not add NR when I did the PP a few years ago. I'll take a bit of noise over resolution for my birding crops.

-- hide signature --

Weaseling out of things is important to learn! It's what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.

Homer Simpson

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Zee Char
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, Apr 25, 2012

ultimitsu wrote:

rep telling real estate interior shooter to get a 1D? thats just nuts.

Real Estate shooting is a pretty hard business to be in, unless you get a lot of work all the time.

I'm helping out a person with real estate photography with my 7D and Tokina 11 -16.

-- hide signature --

Homer Simpson

loafer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,227
Like?
Use live view

When I need critical focus with the 50D, I always use Live View - silent mode. It eliminates any focus calibrations issues and mirror slap.

The 50d was the first camera where I had to worry about issues like diffraction and camera shake also. I found I could not come close to the 1/focal length shutter speed. So I usually needed to go to 1/(2x focal length). Diffraction also clearly robbed resolution over f/10.

It will expose the weakness of your lenses wide open also. 50 1.4 and 35 2.0 are terrible wide open.

Finally, micro-adjustment of lenses is a very tricky business. It depends on lighting conditions (sunlight v. artificial), subject distance, ambient temperature and the precision of the AF system.

Decent RAW converters and pp with noise reducers and sharpening give me excellent results up to ISO 3200.
For me it is working much better than when I bought it.

matthias jurisch
Contributing MemberPosts: 804Gear list
Like?

Abaldman11 wrote:

I have since sent my camera back for the factory to look at, again, and got nailed for $238 for them to fix the problem with no guarantee that it won't happen again. .

To add insult to injury, I figured it would be worth a try to talk to someone at Canon and see if there was anyway to get them to waive or reduce the fee. HA. Right. The rep on phone basically told me that there was nothing they could do.

Hello Jim...before forking out $238.00 or even before having the Canon repair shop start the service would it not seem reasonable to know exactly what it is they are going to repair...and when talking to the "Canon Rep" would he not be responsible to answer that question (if asked) ???...as far as my 50D, no problem...it has been my bread and butter tool for 3 years and it produces tack sharp images with all my lenses.

No newspaper editior, advertisment agency or warbride has ever complained about my 50D IQ...cameras are just like cars or beautiful women...some work better then others.
good luck and maybe you can inform us what they repaired.
Matthias
http://www.foto-jurisch.de

PAUL FERGUSON
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
In reply to matthias jurisch, Apr 25, 2012

Yeah my 50D has never been sharp either !!

69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,474
Like?
In reply to PAUL FERGUSON, Apr 25, 2012

Has it been sharp since Dec 13, 2009? J/K

Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?

Sorry to hear about your problems. I had the 50D and I do not think that there is anything wrong with it. Coming from lower resolution cameras, people tend to be disappointed in its sharpness at 100%, instead of looking at the whole picture (pun intended).

If you want a jump in IQ, get the 5D2/3.

Taken with the 50D:

ISO 1600:

photofan1986
Senior MemberPosts: 2,341Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter 13, Apr 25, 2012

Well, I got a 50D to replace my 40D which developed a minor focusing issue.

At first, I was a bit worried about IQ compared to the 40D, but did not want to shell out big cash for the 7D. And looking at some samples, picture looked very good to me (and I am regarding).

Well, I am not disappointed. There is slightly more noise than the 40D (in raw) but less in jpeg, and sharpness is about on par. You still get slightly more resolution from the 50D, which I take as a bonus.

To me, colours seem as good as any other Canon camera (never really noticed a difference between my 350D, 450D, 40D and 50D).

For those complaining about noise: you must be printing huge poster for noise becoming an issue. Really, up to 1600 (or 3200 ISO with PP), images look great.

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
PAUL FERGUSON
Like?
In reply to 69chevy, Apr 28, 2012

69 chevy Oh i think so LOL!!

PAUL FERGUSON
Like?
In reply to PAUL FERGUSON, Apr 28, 2012

And the 50D aint bad with the 100-400 either !!

PAUL FERGUSON
Like?

or the 24-105!!!

PAUL FERGUSON
Like?

Or the sigma 70mm macro , my favourite bit of glass !!!!

Ridha
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
In reply to Abaldman11, Apr 29, 2012

Moved to 60D from a 50D.
Built quality of the 50D is great but the IQ is not really good.
Yes you can take great shoot with this camera but I prefer 60D image quality.
ridha

james_the_first
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?
In reply to Abaldman11, Apr 29, 2012

As a budget conscious 50D owner I have some sympathy with your position,

but it really is limited by the fact that you're demanding reliability out of a product not built to deliver it.

The enormous cost of the full pro- series cameras is in part new tech but mostly bomb-proof engineering and use of top grade materials

If you're making a living from photography then its up to you if you take the risk not to invest in that sort of insurance or not

but don't complain if you don't

Secondly the 50D is now positively old in sensor terms with at least two major steps forward in tech - it was always a mediocre 15MP sensor on steroids which can create the slightly meh images if not cossetted (proper exposure - often on a tripod). I always think of a beautiful model with breast enhancement and pumping iron - canon tried too hard to produce that 15MP at the time when the tech was not quite there and it just misses the beat in being 'naturally perfect'

If you need the current quality it means buying in a more modern sensor

j

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads