Senior MemberPosts: 2,720
Like?
Lighthouse from last weekend
Apr 24, 2012

I would love any constructive feedback, to help me learn

many thanks,
Carl
--

Carpe diem, or Seize the day.. ...with a photo or two - there's no better way.

http://carlcam5.smugmug.com/

Carl Ibbet
Like?
exif info
In reply to Carl Ibbet, Apr 24, 2012

This is a shot of Corbiere Lighthouse, Jersey, Channel Isles.
Shot with a d90 and Tamron lens 18-270mm. f16 - no tripod due to the wind!
cheers,
Carl
--

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
itchhh
Senior MemberPosts: 7,514
Like?
Re: Lighthouse from last weekend
In reply to Carl Ibbet, Apr 24, 2012

Considering the lighting... you did a terrific job in my opinion!! I wouldn't change a thing. It would be interesting to shoot this exact scene at sunrise or sunset.

Rich
http://www.richardcleis.com

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,270
Like?
In reply to Carl Ibbet, Apr 25, 2012

Carl Ibbet wrote:

I would love any constructive feedback, to help me learn

I would love to be able to provide some, but not in a million years would I be able to do as well. Stunning! Thanks for teaching.

Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,976Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 25, 2012

Everything works for me. The lighthouse is icing on the composition cake. The foreground detail is just so good. Thanks for sharing and great ad for the apparently underestimated superzoom.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
radioz
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?

That is an awesome shot! It shows a lot of drama.

It is really well framed, although I almost feel like there needs to be slightly more sky above the lighthouse. I'm not sure why.

Fantastic.

radioz's gear list:radioz's gear list
Nikon D7000
MarceloLI
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,877Gear list
Like?

Dramatic picture, very well done.

I would love to see the color version.

Regards.

Marcelo

-- hide signature --

MarceloLI's gear list:MarceloLI's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +19 more
Carl Ibbet
Like?
Many thanks for your feedback guys

Wow - I was not expecting anything that positive - so thanks for all your kind comments and suggestions.

I have made a note to get back there around sunset as the lighthouse is in the westerley direction, so it can provide very beautiful sunset opportunities. Interestingly, I cropped a little bit of the sky out, as it was just plan blue and kist looked like a large white area once converted to b&w.

btw - I have had nothing but good experiences with this lens and find it a good all-rounder. I only use one other lens in fact from time to time - a 50mm macro and between the two of them they cover off my requirements. I don't even use the niko kit lens that came with the camera, as i have found the tamron delivers as good results and has more range obviously.

Once again - thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback, it has made my day.

-- hide signature --

nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?

It's a very good composition. The selective color ruins it for me.

Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?

I live next to the sea, and this photo really works for me, the composition is very, very good, the foreground and background add interest, but concentrate the eye on the many colours of the sea itself, and the way it interacts with the land. During winter time in the UK the lack of light caused by cloud and mist, often combine to provide a colourless landscape.

10/10 because I cant see how it could be better without loosing something.

John

hatchback
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
In reply to Cytokine, Apr 25, 2012

Very nice image.

Maybe I have to calibrate my monitor, but water looks very green (on my LCD).

lemon_juice
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
In reply to nfpotter, Apr 25, 2012

nfpotter wrote:

It's a very good composition. The selective color ruins it for me.

I have the same impression - excellent image but the I'd prefer it without the selective colour. For example pure b&w or subtle green sepia applied to the whole image.

-- hide signature --

Michal.

herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 4,018Gear list
Like?

Very nice image...but I do think the sea is a little too green..and it looks like you've got some sort of processing artifacts in the clouds just above the sea on the left side of the shot.
--
Herby

Hoss NY
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?

Very well done. I like the way you've composed for depth - the rocks in the foreground, sea in the middle and rocks/lighthouse in the distance. Excellent composition.

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,666Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hoss NY, Apr 26, 2012

I really like this too! Dramatic, colorful, foreground and forbearing background!

One small thing tho. I guess you've attempted to darken the sky because I find the transition between sky and the back rocks/lighthouse a bit hard.

I struggle with the same thing, to be honest, and I wish I knew how to unsharp just the transition in Lightroom.

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,864
Like?
Re: exif info
In reply to Carl Ibbet, Apr 26, 2012

Carl Ibbet wrote:

This is a shot of Corbiere Lighthouse, Jersey, Channel Isles.
Shot with a d90 and Tamron lens 18-270mm. f16 - no tripod due to the wind!
cheers,
Carl

Nice spot. Thought I recognised it.

Your exif doesn't tell us much - the interesting parts are the actual focal length, shutter speed and iso. Though non of it is really that relevant other than pondering the hand holding ability.

Plus point - nice low angle, gives a feeling of contact and being there rather than a distant observer.

Lively conditions.

Not so plus points - I'll ignore the totally pointless and awful selective colour as commenting on that is fruitless.

Composition is very tight - I find it way too tight to the top, partly due to the closeness of the lighthouse, but mainly due to the fact we can't see the tops of the cloud formations - and that's an all important detail for this type of cloud.

The clouds look a bit flat and lifeless in your conversion.

But I'd also be tempted for a little more foreground detail. The water splashing up is the all important detail for me - I'd have taken several shots on location trying to time the 'perfect' splash.

blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,519
Like?
one more agree
In reply to lemon_juice, Apr 26, 2012

It is an amazingly well composed shot, better than anything I could ever do. And as a result I feel the image is excellent

However had I the choice, I would do away the selective color, I don't like the effect in general and have not been impressed by any image that has color in just one area. Overall saturation changes from one color to another may look nicer, but having one color when all others are gone is not my cup of tea.

Personal preference only, I don't want to take away from your beautiful image.

StrokerAce23
Regular MemberPosts: 229
Like?
Re: one more agree
In reply to blue_cheese, Apr 26, 2012

I too think this is a pretty awesome composition.

I like the idea of the selective color. You managed to make water interesting when there's a lot going on to look at.

However, I think the problem is that the bright, sunny, colorful water doesn't really fit with the otherwise gloomy, imposing, harsh rocks, lighthouse, and sky.

I think you could probably keep it, but tweak it to get them a little closer together on one end of that spectrum.

Carl Ibbet
Like?
Re: one more agree
In reply to blue_cheese, Apr 26, 2012

Thanks guys - I appreciate your feedback on the selective colour. I just started messing around with it as i wanted to see how to use it in sliver Efex, but then liked how it looked on this particular image.
Best regards,
Carl

-- hide signature --

Carl Ibbet
Like?
In reply to Cytokine, Apr 26, 2012

Cytokine wrote:

I live next to the sea, and this photo really works for me, the composition is very, very good, the foreground and background add interest, but concentrate the eye on the many colours of the sea itself, and the way it interacts with the land. During winter time in the UK the lack of light caused by cloud and mist, often combine to provide a colourless landscape.

10/10 because I cant see how it could be better without loosing something.

John

John - I am so pleased you liked it this much, I know you cannot please all the people all the time and the selective colour element is very subjective, but I liked it on this shot. I appreciate your thoughtful comments and hope you get some colour on your landscapes very soon - (spring is on its way - honest!)
all the best,
Carl

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads