And another 600D lens question...

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions
dcrookie74
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
And another 600D lens question...
Apr 24, 2012

Hi guys

I know there are other threads going on similar topic, didn't want to derail those discussions. Here is my question:

Decided its eventually time to upgrade from bridge-camera. Read a lot on 60D as well as 600D, decided 600D will do the trick. Do not want to go kit-lens route, decided to purchase body only and pair it up with some lenses. Main focus for now will be mostly kid portraits etc. After much reading brought it down to two combinations:

Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM and Canon EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS
or
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM and Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM

Your opinion, or other suggestions?

Thanks.

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,115Gear list
Like?
135 f/2
In reply to dcrookie74, Apr 24, 2012

Why do you want to do portraits with a superzoom? Get a 135 f/2. Check out some other recommended portrait lenses here:

http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-135mm-f-2.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
facedodge
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?
Re: 135 f/2
In reply to ARShutterbug, Apr 24, 2012

Completely agree with the above poster...

135L and 50 1.4 should serve you well. You could also get Sigma 85 1.4. You will want fast primes to get the shallow DOF. Especially with a crop camera.

facedodge's gear list:facedodge's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 28,450
Like?
Re: And another 600D lens question...
In reply to dcrookie74, Apr 25, 2012

Why don't you want to go the kit route? If you only want one lens and don't want the kit 18-55mm IS lens or the kit 55-250mm IS lens, you might want the 18-135mm IS lens. But that lens is also considered a kit lens at times, offered with the Canon 60D in our area. Is there a perception that the Canon kit lenses are going to produce poor images?

I researched the kit lenses offered by Canon and I thought they were excellent. I have Olympus DSLR kit lenses too; they are also excellent. But that can't be said the same from all brands.

windmillgolfer
Senior MemberPosts: 7,955Gear list
Like?

The 18-135 is a good, versatile lens. When I upgraded to the 600D, I also got the 18-135 (separate purchases) because the 18-55 IS, although good, is not very versatile for every day walkabout (used one with 30D & 500D). The 18-135 has been fine. I also have 10-20 and the 55-250 - the best value/IQ by a significant margin. Previously had a 30D, so was tempted by the 60D but price differential is still high and when travelling the extra bulk can be a pain.

On paper the 50mm 1.4 sounds great(wow 1.4...) but for non-professionals, IMO, it is mostly a waste of money. You'll get 99% of the same enjoyment from the 1.8 and save yourself a fortune.

Shop around for the 18-135. I got mine new, whitebox, for £240. Send PM and I'll tell you where.

Good Luck. Stuart

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
dcrookie74
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?

Thanks guys

This is why I enjoy this forums so much. If I had all the answers, why bother asking questions. At least you could share some first hand info for newbies like myself. Thanks for the recommedations and tips. Hopefully I'll be showing off in near future...

facedodge
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?

I have a 18-135 that I am looking to sell if you want to make me an offer. It's a great walk around lens, but won't win any portrait awards.

facedodge's gear list:facedodge's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 18,739
Like?
grouchier, not nicer

I read a tweet today that said people get nicer as they age.

Apparently not me.

The 135mm fixed focal length suggestion for portraits of kids is bad advice.

Do not usea long telephoto lens, as a matter of course, for "portraits," whatever a portrait is supposed to look like.

The best portrait zooms comfortably frame your subjects when you are four to eight feet away. Any closer and there's distortion. Any further and you start to need to raise your voice to manage your subjects.

Sometimes you will want all of a standing child. Sometimes half of a seated child. Sometimes just a head.

Sometimes you will want horizonal frames and sometimes vertical.

On your new camera, the best focal lengths for portraits fall between 20mm and 75mm

No-one makes a 20-75, but the various 24-70mm f2.8 lenses are favorites of "crop" photographers shooting portraits.

The various 17/18 - 50/55mm lenses are good compromises.

135mm is far too long. 85 is almost too long.

BAK

Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 28,450
Like?
Re: grouchier, not nicer
In reply to BAK, Apr 26, 2012

Good post...I like your honesty.

I always wondered why someone who upgrades from a superzoom to a DSLR camera (apparently who never has owned a DSLR camera before) and immediately decides the kit lenses are not good. Are we just taking "snapshot" portrait pictures? Do we really need the more expensive lenses? I do favor the zoom lenses; never have had a fixed focal length lens. There's just too many reasons to have that flexibility. I suppose for a professional photographer or someone with lots of disposable income or for other reasons, maybe having numerous extra lenses would be good, including those that are fixed focal length. If someone can afford the more expensive lenses and they really find they need one like that (even for a first time user), the 24-70mm lens sounds good for portraits.

I do use the telephotos lenses a lot. At close range (like within 10 feet) that usually just means a closeup of the face (of course depending on the focal length etc.). One time I was walking along Cannon Beach, Oregon and a couple of young teenage girls asked me if I wanted to take their photos. I only had the Olympus DSLR camera with the Zuiko 70-300mm lens in my hand for a 140-600mm EFL range. I quickly took their pictures at 140mm EFL. They turned out great; I showed them the pictures in the LCD...one of my best. I was so close, that the facial expressions looked excellent. So yes, they can look good with a telephoto lens. But that's not the norm...best to have shorter focal lengths too.

photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,071
Like?
In reply to dcrookie74, Apr 26, 2012

dcrookie74 wrote:

Hi guys

I know there are other threads going on similar topic, didn't want to derail those discussions. Here is my question:

Decided its eventually time to upgrade from bridge-camera. Read a lot on 60D as well as 600D, decided 600D will do the trick. Do not want to go kit-lens route, decided to purchase body only and pair it up with some lenses. Main focus for now will be mostly kid portraits etc. After much reading brought it down to two combinations:

Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM and Canon EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS
or
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM and Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM

Nobody commented on the 28-135m but it is not wide enough at all on a 600D for normal use. It corresponds to 44.8mm to 216mm on Full frame (and your bridge camera will likely be marked with full frame numbers)

You can get the 18-135 IS kit lens to cover the standard range plus a bit of tele.

This is 28.8mm to 216mm FF equivalent framing, so you have also some wide-angle, definitively useful in confined space.

A 50mm lens is a reasonable choice for a portrait lens on crop.

Your opinion, or other suggestions?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads