Just cancelled Amazon D800 and closed my Amazon account

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions
cwmartin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,118
Like?
Just cancelled Amazon D800 and closed my Amazon account
Apr 24, 2012

RANT ALERT:

I placed my D800 with Amazon on 2/7 at 8 am. The delivery estimate has been changed four times by Amazon. The latest was done today, when I checked on the order and asked where it was. The third delivery estimate was April 13. Today they changed it to June 6.

That was the straw that broke this camel's back. I realize that Amazon has no control over shipments from Nikon and that the D800 is too popular of a camera. The thing that upset me greatly and sent me over the edge is that there is no way to find out from Amazon where your order is in the queue. In this day of computers and ERP systems software, there is no excuse not to be able to tell a customer where their order is in a queue.

Anyway, with this latest delivery date change I went over the edge. Not only did I cancel my Amazon order, but I also closed my Amazon account and won't do business with them again. The Amazon customer service people just read canned scripts and won't actually do anything, thus are useless.

-- hide signature --

Clifford W Martin
aka BigRedDogATL
http://www.bigreddogatl.com

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,193
Like?
Re: Just cancelled Amazon D800 and closed my Amazon account
In reply to cwmartin, Apr 24, 2012

Then you wont want to do business with B&H, Adoramma, or any other large camera mail order company. You wouldn't get an accurate ship date nor your place in line from them either.

Nikon seems to be doing small shops a big favor with the D800/E release.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
redwing
Regular MemberPosts: 361
Like?
Amazon stock drops 33% of value as a result N/T

Must be the power of the pen.

u007
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678
Like?

cwmartin wrote:

In this day of computers and ERP systems software, there is no excuse not to be able to tell a customer where their order is in a queue.

Of course they CAN tell you. But why WOULD they?

For a huge retailer like Amazon, why on earth would they want to tell everybody (including their competitors) about the number of orders they get and how their stocking/fulfilling works.

If I owned a store, I wouldn't want everyone to know about my number of orders, and my stock levels, shipment sizes etc.

-- hide signature --

My travel photography blog - http://www.frescoglobe.com

Stangs55
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?

Honestly, I don't blame you.

I'm fed up with Amazon as well.

Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622Gear list
Like?

It must be very frustrating. Unfortunately, Amazon just sees another cancelation without knowing why. Maybe you cancelled because you changed your mind or got a D800 from a different order.

It would be nice if you could have spoken to someone about the cancelation. Is it possible to speak with a person in customer service?
--
Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,756
Like?

Yeah! That will show Amazon who is the boss!

cwmartin wrote:

RANT ALERT:

I placed my D800 with Amazon on 2/7 at 8 am. The delivery estimate has been changed four times by Amazon. The latest was done today, when I checked on the order and asked where it was. The third delivery estimate was April 13. Today they changed it to June 6.

That was the straw that broke this camel's back. I realize that Amazon has no control over shipments from Nikon and that the D800 is too popular of a camera. The thing that upset me greatly and sent me over the edge is that there is no way to find out from Amazon where your order is in the queue. In this day of computers and ERP systems software, there is no excuse not to be able to tell a customer where their order is in a queue.

Anyway, with this latest delivery date change I went over the edge. Not only did I cancel my Amazon order, but I also closed my Amazon account and won't do business with them again. The Amazon customer service people just read canned scripts and won't actually do anything, thus are useless.

-- hide signature --

Clifford W Martin
aka BigRedDogATL

-- hide signature --

Mikael

ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,051Gear list
Like?

cwmartin wrote:

RANT ALERT:

Not only did I cancel my Amazon order, but I also closed my Amazon account and won't do business with them again. The Amazon customer service people just read canned scripts and won't actually do anything, thus are useless.

Thanks for cancelling your order, now I've moved up in line. I have my D300 and I have the cash sitting in my account earning interest, so I'm not in any big hurry. I'll get mine when I get mine and hopefully all the bugs will have been worked out buy then so I can enjoy my camera in peace.

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
cwmartin
Like?
In reply to Red G8R, Apr 24, 2012

Red G8R wrote:

It must be very frustrating. Unfortunately, Amazon just sees another cancelation without knowing why. Maybe you cancelled because you changed your mind or got a D800 from a different order.

It would be nice if you could have spoken to someone about the cancelation. Is it possible to speak with a person in customer service?
--
Peter
Ontario, Canada

I did with a second level manager and told them the reason. They tried offering a $20 credit, but I wasn't accepting that. I understand that Amazon can't ship what Nikon doesn't supply, but their whole way of handling this is just wrong. If a customer asks, they should tell them where they are in the queue. In response, to that question I found out from this supervisor that Amazon shuffles the queue around depending upon what shipment method you selected when ordering. Then if you change shipment method after the order was placed, your order is moved to the back of the queue. To me, that stinks.

-- hide signature --

Clifford W Martin
aka BigRedDogATL

cwmartin
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, Apr 24, 2012

webfrasse wrote:

Yeah! That will show Amazon who is the boss!

One customer closing an account doesn't make a difference. But if enough customers do, then it will and it has to start with one.

Case in point, look what happened to Netflix when they hacked off customers by their policy changes and rate increases. They lost tons of customers and still haven't recovered.

-- hide signature --

Clifford W Martin
aka BigRedDogATL

-- hide signature --

Mikael

-- hide signature --

Clifford W Martin
aka BigRedDogATL

cwmartin
Like?
In reply to ARB1, Apr 24, 2012

ARB1 wrote:

Thanks for cancelling your order, now I've moved up in line. I have my D300 and I have the cash sitting in my account earning interest, so I'm not in any big hurry. I'll get mine when I get mine and hopefully all the bugs will have been worked out buy then so I can enjoy my camera in peace.

You are welcome. I have my D4, D3S and D300, so I can live without the D800 until I can get one from someone else besides Amazon. I have an order in with a small camera shop and I am 4th in their queue. They have 10 cameras on order, so I suspect I will get it quicker through them than Amazon's new June estimate.
--
Clifford W Martin
aka BigRedDogATL

rb stevens
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?

cwmartin wrote:

RANT ALERT:

The thing that upset me greatly and sent me over the edge is that there is no way to find out from Amazon where your order is in the queue. In this day of computers and ERP systems software, there is no excuse not to be able to tell a customer where their order is in a queue.

What would you do with the information if they did give it to you. Would you feel better if they said you were number 10 on the list? What if they only receive 9 cameras to ship before August? You still have no camera. On the other hand, what if they tell you that you are number 999 on the list? Are you going to cancel your order? What if they get 1,000 cameras to ship and you just canceled an order that would have been filled?

Arretose
Senior MemberPosts: 1,049
Like?

I am sorry To hear of your frustration. I have been remaining calm in this whole matter realizing that with the reported issues, I don't mind waiting a little longer to get my D800 thinking that it's giving Nikon a chance to fix potential manufacturing issues. That said, I ordered my D800 from Amazon on 2/7 around 5 AM PST and I have not received a delayed shipment notice from them yet, so hopefully this is a good sign. We shall see. To me, Amazon is the way to go, with their very generous return policy should you find a problem with your camera.

Mitchydkid
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?

cwmartin wrote:

RANT ALERT:

Not only did I cancel my Amazon order, but I also closed my Amazon account and won't do business with them again.

Fantastic! I just text-ed my wife so she could read the news too. Its about time somebody brought Amazon to their knees for the injustices we have all suffered.

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,684Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 24, 2012

Wish/hope that is true. I have my order pending for quite awhile now and the last news I got was that the store only received two D800s and that was just after the release date of the D800.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
ShootDuringTwilight
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
You go girl!

You really showed that Amazon. How dare they not let you know when they will be shipping your camera? They are probably hoarding up all the D800s with the intent to irritate people like you. Good riddance to them I say. Good job!

beshannon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?
 beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +5 more
ocean7
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?

I wonder how you would use the information if Amazon told you ther position in the queue is 1356 or 2137?

macjonny1
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?

I am going to buy Amazon stock after it falls because of your decision. The inevitable slip in stock price from your account withdrawal will present a fantastic buy opportunity. THANKS!

MrWinnieThePooh
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
In reply to ocean7, Apr 24, 2012

ocean7 wrote:

I wonder how you would use the information if Amazon told you ther position in the queue is 1356 or 2137?

Well, if you knew the average number of D800's delivered per week (X, say), you could divide your position in the queue by X, and derive the expected number of weeks you will have to wait (assuming constant delivery rate). So, for instance, in the UK, where Amazon are delivering an average of 0 cameras per week, if I knew I was 1356th in the queue, I would know that I had roughly 1356/0 weeks to wait. This would make me feel much better than if I had 2137/0 weeks to wait.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads