Good bag for the EM5

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions
3DrJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Yet Another Good bag for the EM5
In reply to george4908, Jul 23, 2012

Being relatively small, the EM-5 and mFT lenses can be at home in many bags. I think the trick is finding one not too big , which many bags seem to be.

Another point is having a bag that doesn't scream "camera inside", which many bags also do. There are always alternative styles, and what's best is particular to the individual.

In addition to the bags mentioned above, a worthy maker is Domke. Their canvas bags are classic, form-fitting, durable, and even machine washable. Their small F-5XA comfortably holds the EM-5, 3 lenses, spare batteries, the plug-in flash, lens cleaning supplies, or whatever.

Recently purchased this bag. Now, I just have to break it in so it doesn't look so new...

JRA

-- hide signature --

Artists must not only see, but see what they are seeing.

3DrJ's gear list:3DrJ's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Harold66
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,369Gear list
Like?
Re: Good bag for the EM5
In reply to StephenL, Jul 23, 2012

Hello Stephen

Never heard of that brand of bags. Looks too small for my needs but nice styling. Thanks for pointing it out for us

Harold
--
http://www.harold-glit.com
http://www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro +14 more
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,758Gear list
Like?
In reply to sbszine, Jul 23, 2012

sbszine wrote:

i just got this bag for my EM-5 and it's exactly the right size. Fits the 12-50, flash, lens caps etc also with space for two more m43 zooms.

http://www.crumpler.com/AU/Camera-Bags/Camera-Bags/4-Million-Dollar-Home.html?LanguageCode=EN&SKU=MD4002-X01P40

I have been using Crumpler bags for eight years (7 Million Dollar Home is my main DSLR bag), and have always liked their bags. I also have a Lowepro backpack, a Domke f5xb, and a Thinktank Retrospective 5. The Thinktank is my current main m4/3 bag, but I may sell it and switch to that spiffy looking gray 4-Million Dollar Home. I live in the rainy Pacific NW and the only downside to the Thinktank Retro 5 is that it's not as water resistant unless you put the included raincover on. So far it hasn't really been an issue. The Retro 5 might be cotton canvas on the outside, but it is lined with water-resistant nylon. How water-resistant? Probably not the impermeable barrier Crumpler uses since they provide a rain cover.

What I do like about the Retro 5 is the look (also like the Crumpler's looks though) and the room for accessories (which it looks like the Crumpler may or may not equal). I like my Domke as well, but the f5xb has very little room for accessories. The main reason I keep the f5xb is because it can be worn on a belt...which is perfect for backpacking. I go on hikes with my family, often carrying my toddler in a kiddie carrier backpack with the f5xb on the belt of the pack.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
RMillward
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Another Alternative...
In reply to Starred, Jul 23, 2012

I have some great bags already - not camera bags - and part of the reason I chose and stick with M43 is the compact size. I picked up the smaller one of these:

http://optechusa.com/accessory-pack.html?par=34&typeid=1&e=31&p=OLYMPUS+OM-D+E-M5

It holds the E-M5 body with the 20mm attached, the 12-50mm, the 14-150mm, and both the flash unit that is in the box and the one from the rebate offer. It's small enough to fit in almost every single bag I have, I carry a complete kit with me everywhere, and there's no "expensive camera here!" branding.

Just wanted to offer this up as an alternative to buying yet-another camera bag.

RMillward's gear list:RMillward's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Ergo607
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170Gear list
Like?
Weel I did it...
In reply to AdventureRob, Jul 24, 2012

Just taking the opportunity of this topic to say that I just bought the Billigham f/2,8. I choose this one because it's cheaper than the Hadley (and also because the shop I ordered it from had the Hadley Pro in back order.

It was just in time to arrive before my week holidays in the Ardens, Belgium.

In one week the Billingham managed to get me in love of the design. It's comfortable to carry, can pack just about anything you throw at, and has incredible fast access to everything. Just love it. One thing I would love of the Hadley Pro is the carrying strap on top and the brass foots (to prevent the bag getting dirty.) Apart from that, I am one happy camper...

-- hide signature --
 Ergo607's gear list:Ergo607's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
ginsbu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420Gear list
Like?
Re: Yet Another Good bag for the EM5
In reply to 3DrJ, Jul 24, 2012

Another nice Domke for the E-M5 is the F-10. It's around the size of the TT Retro 5, but holds a bit more. B&H has a deal on the grey color for only $53!

ginsbu's gear list:ginsbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +12 more
sean000
Like?
Re: Yet Another Good bag for the EM5
In reply to ginsbu, Jul 24, 2012

ginsbu wrote:

Another nice Domke for the E-M5 is the F-10. It's around the size of the TT Retro 5, but holds a bit more. B&H has a deal on the grey color for only $53!

The f5xb works as well. It's roughly the size of the Retro 5, but doesn't have as much room for accessories. It can be worn as a belt pack as well. The strap included with the TT Retro 5 is much more comfortable though. My f5xb did not come with a shoulder strap pad, and the strap is too short (and I'm a very average 5'9").

Sean

Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Joseph
Senior MemberPosts: 1,098Gear list
Like?
5 vs 6 Million Dollar Home
In reply to magicbuzz, Jul 24, 2012

I've just recently went for the 6 Million Dollar Home. Don't know how much m4/3 stuffs you have in the bag but I've found that the "5" is a little bit too tight even for my modest gears which consist of an E-PL2, 3 primes, a kit lens and a telephoto zoom.

FYI, I have started a thread on the similar subject here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41803999

Joseph's gear list:Joseph's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D70 Nikon D1X Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 +44 more
eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,677Gear list
Like?
LL Bean in Europe?
In reply to JoeSchmoe, Jul 25, 2012

JoeSchmoe wrote:

L.L. Bean Sunwashed Canvas Shoulder Bag + Cumpler Haven (small):

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/40309?feat=847-GN1

This bag looks great. Does anyone know, whether they can be bought in Europe too?

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Kschles
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
In reply to Starred, Jul 25, 2012

Like many of you, I have more than one bag. I switch them out depending on my mood and needs. I'd like to bring some attention to a unique bag that has not been mentioned in this thread yet, the Bare Bones Bag Evolution (BBBE):

http://www.indianhillimageworks.com/catalog/camera-bags/the-bare-bones-bag-evolution-bbb-e

Stephen Schaub designed the bag to be light and suited for rangefinder and mirror-less camera systems. He partnered with Courierware in Vermont, which actually makes the bags.

I have and use a Domke F-803 and a Billingham Hadley Pro, both of which I like a lot. The BBBE is different. It has some padding, but not alot. It is very small and light (about 16oz), but still manages to hold my E-M5 with 14-45, Panny 100-300, Panny 20, and Oly 45; along with accessories. It will also hold an Ipad. When fully loaded the bag is still incredibly light weight. Schaub thinks too many camera bags have unnecessary padding and are too large for their purpose. I love the light weight of the BBBE, but realize it might not offer as much protection as some other bags. Depends on your needs and how you use your equipment.

Ken S

Kschles's gear list:Kschles's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Harold66
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,369Gear list
Like?
2 VERY important points
In reply to Kschles, Jul 25, 2012

Hello Ken

I think your post brings about 2 VERY interesting points

I do not know ONE photographer that does not have MORE THAN ONE bags . Most of them admit they have TOO MANY bags . I was one of them once ( up to 12 or 14 bags) but now I am down to three

I also think the padding of the bag is also a VERY important factor when choosing a bag. I started with well padded bags and realized a few years ago when getting my Domke F that less padding was often better especially for bags carried around the shoulder

This is why I do not like crumpler bags for instance. but as you said , there are different tastes out there

I am working on my camera equipement blog/webiste and this site will feature more camera bags reviews than any other website
stay tuned. Should be launched by end of september
Harold
--

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro +14 more
Dixa
Contributing MemberPosts: 808
Like?
In reply to Starred, Jul 25, 2012

looked at and tried many bags that would hold my em5 and ipad and lenses while still having room when i get the grip for the camera and settled on the lowepro event messenger 250.

not too big. not too small. can carry it around all day without issue and i have a herniated disc.

sean000
Like?
Re: 2 VERY important points
In reply to Harold66, Jul 25, 2012

Harold66 wrote:

Hello Ken

I think your post brings about 2 VERY interesting points

I do not know ONE photographer that does not have MORE THAN ONE bags . Most of them admit they have TOO MANY bags . I was one of them once ( up to 12 or 14 bags) but now I am down to three

heh - I will have to tell my wife that some of my fellow photographers have had up to 14 bags at a single time. Maybe she won't think my number is excessive

I have sold a few over the years, so at the moment I have the following:

• Thinktank Retrospective 5 - My main m4/3 kit bag

• Domke f5xb - Similar in size to the Retro 5, but not as much room for accessories. I use this one on the belt of my child carrier backpack for hikes with the family.

• Tenba Lens Wraps (various sizes) These are inexpensive thinly padded wraps that I use to wrap up lenses (as well as my GF1 or E-M5) to carry them in non-camera bags like my bicycle's handlebar bag and a non-camera-specific messenger bag. These wraps have velcro corners to stay closed. Often I will just line the bottom of a bag with one and drop the camera+lens in unwrapped.

• LowePro Primus AW Backpack - Works well with either my Nikon DSLR or my m4/3 gear. Camera gear goes in the bottom half and other stuff in the top half. Carries a tripod.

• Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home - My main DSLR kit shoulder bag.

• Crumpler 3 Million Dollar Home - Very small shoulder bag for carrying a m4/3 camera plus two lenses. I don't use this much.

• Crumpler camera insert for my bicycle messenger bag (way too padded).

I also think the padding of the bag is also a VERY important factor when choosing a bag. I started with well padded bags and realized a few years ago when getting my Domke F that less padding was often better especially for bags carried around the shoulder

I agree. Too much padding = too much bulk. The Thinktank Retro 5 is very nice in this respect. Not over-padded at all.

This is why I do not like crumpler bags for instance. but as you said , there are different tastes out there

Crumpler has gotten better about this in their later bags, but they are still probably more padded than the Domke or ThinkTanks. I bought my first Crumpler camera bag in 2004, and it was ridiculously over-padded. The bag was very stiff and bulky... larger than my TT Retro 5 despite having less room. I also had a Crumpler backpack with a similar problem. I sold both. My first generation 7 Million Dollar Home is much more appropriately padded... though still more than necessary in my opinion. The newer Million Dollar Home bags seem to have thinned out just a bit more.

I am working on my camera equipement blog/webiste and this site will feature more camera bags reviews than any other website
stay tuned. Should be launched by end of september
Harold
--

Being a bag fan, I'd love to see it! I have found cambags.com to be very useful over the years, but there are not a lot of m4/3-centric bags or reviews there.

Sean

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads