Yes...GF-5 Has A NEW SENSOR.......

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,131
Like?
Yes...GF-5 Has A NEW SENSOR.......
Apr 24, 2012

As this information seems to have been overlooked....or buried in postings....

From dpreview;

" Under the hood, the GF5's newly developed 12MP CMOS sensor

is an evolution of the one used in the GF3, but with improved circuitry that doesn't block as much light entering the photosite, giving better low light performance. The image processor is also different, and Panasonic promises that the latest version of its Venus Engine will deliver improved noise performance. These factors, combined with a noise reduction system that treats highlights and shadows differently (since the dominant cause of the noise differs between the two regions), has emboldened Panasonic to offer a boost to the camera's ISO range, with it now being extendable to 12800, rather than the GF3's 6400."

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
Re: And from Panasonic Lumix
In reply to jimr, Apr 24, 2012

http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gf5/performance.html#livemossensor

The DMC-GF5 incorporates newly developed 12.1-megapixel Live MOS sensor which features high sensitivity signal processing. Both photodiode circuit and readout circuit are also optimized to minimize noise generation through processing to readout. Furthermore, newly added NR circuit completes Panasonic’s excellent noise reduction system that thoroughly removes noise left at final processing stage.

• And we can see from sample images that it is really better at least at high ISO

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ThorKre
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?
Re: Yes...GF-5 Has A NEW SENSOR.......

I'm curious if Olympus will use the OM's or the GF5's sensor for the next entry level PL/PM. I guess the latter, it might give them a chance to distinguish their line-up a little bit.

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to ThorKre, Apr 24, 2012

ThorKre wrote:

I'm curious if Olympus will use the OM's or the GF5's sensor for the next entry level PL/PM. I guess the latter, it might give them a chance to distinguish their line-up a little bit.

I think they will use it, the sensor is good and 12 megapixels is enough for this kind of cameras, and for many users

I still don't feel the need for more than 12 megapixels

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Andy Crowe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,550Gear list
Like?
Good for the GF5's target market, but Panny have already released new sensors

it's good news for the GF5's target market (tho to be honest they can't keep putting that 4 year old sensor in new cameras forever), but since the release of the G3/GX1 with completely new sensors there isn't really much buzz around this sensor (for an entry level camera after all).

Given the model's position I'd think IQ will be on-par with the G3/GX1, just at a lower resolution. Hopefully with the next round of upgrades (G5/GX2) there will be more improvements, and the GH3 will likely release with the best performing Panasonic sensor so far.

From dpreview;

is an evolution of the one used in the GF3, but with improved circuitry that doesn't block as much light entering the photosite, giving better low light performance. The image processor is also different, and Panasonic promises that the latest version of its Venus Engine will deliver improved noise performance. These factors, combined with a noise reduction system that treats highlights and shadows differently (since the dominant cause of the noise differs between the two regions), has emboldened Panasonic to offer a boost to the camera's ISO range, with it now being extendable to 12800, rather than the GF3's 6400."

Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,380Gear list
Like?
evolution of 12mp

Sounds like they have new microlenses and new back-end processing. In theory, it should perform as well as the Sony 16mp in the Pentax K01. But, i wouldnt keep my hopes up.. they need to redesign it from the ground up.

jimr wrote:

From dpreview;

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,461Gear list
Like?
Re: Or a 12MP version of the OM-D's sensor
In reply to Jogger, Apr 24, 2012

That would make more sense to me rather than (from an engineering perspective) parallel, completely different developments.

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Good for the GF5's target market, but Panny have already released new sensors
In reply to Andy Crowe, Apr 27, 2012

Andy Crowe wrote:

it's good news for the GF5's target market (tho to be honest they can't keep putting that 4 year old sensor in new cameras forever), but since the release of the G3/GX1 with completely new sensors there isn't really much buzz around this sensor (for an entry level camera after all).

Given the model's position I'd think IQ will be on-par with the G3/GX1, just at a lower resolution. Hopefully with the next round of upgrades (G5/GX2) there will be more improvements, and the GH3 will likely release with the best performing Panasonic sensor so far.

• Yes but this GF5 is good because is 12 megapixels, I like it, less pixels and new technology, about the GX2 that will take sometime to appear, but the GH3 is going to have a new 15 megapixels sensor, at least from what I have read

From dpreview;

-- hide signature --

jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122
Like?
Re: Good for the GF5's target market, but Panny have already released new sensors
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 27, 2012

proof is in the eating.

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,470Gear list
Like?
In reply to jimr, Apr 27, 2012

The performance of this new sensor remains to be proved.
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,246
Like?
But who makes the sensor?
In reply to jimr, Apr 27, 2012

Sony?
Fuji?
Whatever Kodak imaging turned into?
Maybe even Canon?

Couldn't resist that one...

Andy Crowe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,550Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 28, 2012
  • Yes but this GF5 is good because is 12 megapixels, I like it, less pixels and new technology, about the GX2 that will take sometime to appear, but the GH3 is going to have a new 15 megapixels sensor, at least from what I have read

In theory you should be able to get better per-pixel quality from a lower res sensor, but if they're only aiming for pixel quality on par with the GX1 (which makes sense for an entry level camera) then the 16 mp sensor will give better over-all quality simply because it has more resolution (it can be resized down to 12mp for better sharpness)

Of course we won't know until we get some test results back, but given it's position in the line-up I'd be surprised to see Panasonic putting their best sensor in it.

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: But who makes the sensor?
In reply to TrapperJohn, Apr 28, 2012

TrapperJohn wrote:

Sony?
Fuji?
Whatever Kodak imaging turned into?
Maybe even Canon?

Couldn't resist that one...

And Samsung ...

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads