Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,277
Like?
Re: Screen freeze
In reply to DaniDR, Apr 24, 2012

DaniDR wrote:

dotborg wrote:

Can anyone tell me if the screen still freezes during AF?

-- hide signature --

Yes, it still does.

That's a bummer.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
miniTO
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Re: New X-Pro1 Firmware out to address chatter, other issues
In reply to Bmat, Apr 24, 2012

FW releases tend not to have ever little change outlined. For instance the x100 firmware releases never claimed better AF performance. They just outlined the changed functionality.

This type of notation in regards to FW features seems to be the norm for every piece of hardware I have upgraded regardless of manufacturer.

mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,383
Like?
Re: Hip Hip Hurray! and all that for Fuji....but
In reply to Dailypix, Apr 25, 2012

Dailypix wrote:

I thought it a bit much. 4 updates needed. 3 lens changes (the lens upgrade does not work without the appropriate lens attached)

Lens file names the same you need to rename them back and forth or do it one by one erasing the card each time.
Warnings you could wreck your camera with a bad battery etc etc...

Bit of a bother. too bad it could not have been done in one smooth action.

But if the chatter is gone I am a happy camper. Thanks for the quick action Fuji.

Not sure they could have done it any other way since the lenses needed their FW updated as well.

Photohobbyfun
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362
Like?
Re: Does the X-Pro1 do the aperture dance?
In reply to RealXenuis, Apr 25, 2012

RealXenuis wrote:

It did yes, but apparently enough (or very vocal) ppl didn't like it and this is now addressed with this update.

Photohobbyfun wrote:

Does the X-Pro1 do the aperture dance in bright light like the X100? Does this chatter have anything to do with that?

Thanks for the reply. That's really good news. Now if only Fuji can pass along this little improvement to the X100. Obviously the X100 doesn't chatter but I'd be thrilled if the X100 no longer did the aperture dance in bright light. It's my only serious pet peeve with the camera.

loekids
Regular MemberPosts: 393
Like?
Re: battery life improved
In reply to Weistling, Apr 25, 2012

Weistling wrote:

MPA1 wrote:

Regardless of batteries and cameras, you deserve some kind of medal for spending so much time with so many children.

Ha! Yes, I feel like burnt toast right now. But looking through these shots, I am a shocked how well these low light shots with moving kids turned out. I will post a few later after some wine.

Weistling wrote:

I updated firmware this morning and then took 20 kindergardeners to the LA Natural History Museum on a field trip. I took 488 (976 if you consider it was writing 2 files)shots on one freshly charged battery. I was shooting RAW+Fine. Before thefirmware fix I was averaging 200 shots. When I first got the camera 2 weeks ago, I was getting about 120 shots with this set up. I noticed it was better and better with each charge. But now, this is fantastic. I am believing the chatter really did put a drain on the battery.

And who took care of the children when you were busy shooting??
Just kidding, post the pics to show us your happy day.

Powerdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Really?
In reply to Alberto 1290, Apr 25, 2012

It's not a fan club
But no industrial product is perfect when first launched.

Of course they tested it, but for example, Aperture chatter doesn't bother me. If it was only me, It won't matter, but it annoy many people, so it's a good thing to fix it.
Even the premium cars, have fix.

Perhaps they could test the camera for more than a year, in order to fix everything, but at the time of the launch the camera will be obsolete.

So I thank you Fuji, for fixing this issue only a month or two, after the launch.
--
It's all about photography

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +27 more
javaone360
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
Re: New X-Pro1 Firmware out to address chatter, other issues
In reply to DaniDR, Apr 25, 2012

For instance, the 60mm can focus much better in close distance.

DaniDR wrote:

wild05kid05 wrote:

certainly not a placebo effect, but it feels snappier (AF)

Me too. I would say its quite noticeable.

javaone360's gear list:javaone360's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 +26 more
Dailypix
Contributing MemberPosts: 623
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, Apr 25, 2012

mr moonlight wrote:

Dailypix wrote:

I thought it a bit much. 4 updates needed. 3 lens changes (the lens upgrade does not work without the appropriate lens attached)

Lens file names the same you need to rename them back and forth or do it one by one erasing the card each time.

But if the chatter is gone I am a happy camper. Thanks for the quick action Fuji.

Not sure they could have done it any other way since the lenses needed their FW updated as well.

Yeh I guess but is there an end to it? If I get a big kit of lenses, the extra wide coming out in te fall, perhaps two zoom lenses. OK I see updates where it says "Please have five fully charged batteries and two days free time...."

Do other cameras require firmware updates of lenses as well?

Happy for the update but...Just saying.

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,540Gear list
Like?

I've never had FW updates for any of my Nikkors - I do not even know if they have firmware in them or if it can be user-updated to be honest.

I know the SB900 Nikon flash firmware can be updated through the D3s/D4 bodies and the cameras can (although I think no update has ever been issued for the D3s - if it has, it is only one).

Dailypix wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

Dailypix wrote:

Yeh I guess but is there an end to it? If I get a big kit of lenses, the extra wide coming out in te fall, perhaps two zoom lenses. OK I see updates where it says "Please have five fully charged batteries and two days free time...."

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

Easy solution for you: Don't update your firmware.

If the process is worse than the bugs fixed, don't bother.

Dailypix wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

Dailypix wrote:

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Dailypix
Contributing MemberPosts: 623
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, Apr 25, 2012

Asylum Photo wrote:

Dailypix wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

Dailypix wrote:

-- hide signature --

I totally get it. Software is impossible. No way they could have figured out how to do it with one update, a little virus thingy in the main software perhaps that recognized the first time a new lens put on and automatically updated the lens? Too hard, too much imagination and certainly way beyond the pay grade of the Silkypix engineers.

Hey I love the camera. I understand that this forum is soon to be renamed Fanboys, Fuji Apologists and trolls that make them crazy. No critisism allowed. If you dont like it then Pi** off. I get it.

Thanks for the upgrade. Just saying.

miniTO
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?

Yes this is nothing new... there is no other way to do this... You can't pack all the firmwares together and all other manufacturers do it this way as well.

In any case the lens FW are tiny and update in less then 30 seconds. Battery life would not be a concern.

RealXenuis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?

You posted a criticism that people thought a bit overly demanding. I don't think it's a bad think they commented. YOU commented. That doesn't make them fanboys or you a troll, does it? You do make a good point. So do they. The End.

They should rename this forum Trolls, Fanboys, and Those Who Call Others Trolls and Fanboys.

Dailypix wrote:

Asylum Photo wrote:

Dailypix wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

Dailypix wrote:

-- hide signature --

I totally get it. Software is impossible. No way they could have figured out how to do it with one update, a little virus thingy in the main software perhaps that recognized the first time a new lens put on and automatically updated the lens? Too hard, too much imagination and certainly way beyond the pay grade of the Silkypix engineers.

Hey I love the camera. I understand that this forum is soon to be renamed Fanboys, Fuji Apologists and trolls that make them crazy. No critisism allowed. If you dont like it then Pi** off. I get it.

Thanks for the upgrade. Just saying.

RealXenuis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
Re: Screen freeze
In reply to dotborg, Apr 25, 2012

Agreed, something I really don't like about it. That particular aspect feels very point-n-shoot.

I have not noticed a diff in AF speed of the 60. I'm glad others have!

dotborg wrote:

DaniDR wrote:

dotborg wrote:

Can anyone tell me if the screen still freezes during AF?

-- hide signature --

Yes, it still does.

That's a bummer.

-- hide signature --
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,145Gear list
Like?

Dailypix wrote:

I used one fully charged battery to update the body and the 35mm and 18mm lenses. The entire process took less than 20 minutes.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
Blog: http://boxedlight.com/blog

The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Jeff Roisman
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Re: Just rename the files
In reply to Petteri Sulonen, Apr 26, 2012

Many thanks for this tip. Worked just fine..finally. Nice way for computer semi-literate to spend an hour..
Jeff

LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,568Gear list
Like?
In reply to Powerdoc, Apr 28, 2012

Yeah it is cool they fix this so soon, the x100 had much longer wait.

But also demanding perfection is a free hobby, it is not like something terrible has to happen or they will have to fire their people if we say we want a perfect tools. In fact regardless what we say, not much will change. Fuji will do whatever they do to make good cameras and we will buy whatever we want.

It is the other way, if everybody insist that all is already perfect, they could get comfortable and slow down the improvements. It works with me.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
LaFonte
Like?
Re: In fact, Apple is the WORST!
In reply to Jeff Seltzer, Apr 28, 2012

And we just say how cool it is and pull out the wallet.

Jeff Seltzer wrote:

Apple is really bad. Remember the whole iPhone reception issue??! They blamed the consumer for months for "holding it wrong." They have a hard time even admitting there's an issue. Usually, they don't fix it, they just release a new product.

Mikee wrote:

Apple, the number 1 company in the world in terms of consumer electronics, releases products where certain things are caught in testing. Yet the world still moves on.

Chill out.

LaFonte
Like?
In reply to echelon2004, Apr 28, 2012

What was so terribly bad about few weeks of lens chatter?
This was very quick firmware update, far quicker than normal.

echelon2004 wrote:

Yes, but it would've been better if the issue never existed. But that would've meant paying at least twice the money...

-- hide signature --

Anders

'It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice'

VoxPixel
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
In reply to MPA1, Apr 28, 2012

mr moonlight wrote:

I have micro 43 and 43 lenses that have requested firmware updates.
So for me, it's not a big deal.

VoxPixel's gear list:VoxPixel's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads