[NX20] Wi-Fi Remote Viewfinder Demonstration.

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions
ihkim
Regular MemberPosts: 304
Like?
[NX20] Wi-Fi Remote Viewfinder Demonstration.
Apr 24, 2012

I made a video clip to show how Remote Viewfinder works.

Even the language is Korean, I put captions in English. So, you should be able to understand how it goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZnerezvR_Jw

Robert N
Senior MemberPosts: 2,007
Like?
Re: [NX20] Wi-Fi Remote Viewfinder Demonstration.
In reply to ihkim, Apr 24, 2012

ihkim wrote:

I made a video clip to show how Remote Viewfinder works.

Even the language is Korean, I put captions in English. So, you should be able to understand how it goes.

Thanks a lot!

Sending images is nice, but I don't think I would use this feature very often. What's really interesting is the ability to adjust settings remotely from a smartphone. I'm curious to know how it works. Do you know more about it?

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vygi
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
In reply to Robert N, Apr 24, 2012

Robert N wrote:

What's really interesting is the ability to adjust settings remotely from a smartphone. I'm curious to know how it works. Do you know more about it?

I am not sure but I guess that you have to select "Wi-Fi" mode option on the camera and connect it to the smartphone. After them, you can use it as remore control, incl. live view. You will be able to adjust all (or almost all) camera settings remotely.

ZZ9
ZZ9
Regular MemberPosts: 445
Like?
slow...

so slow? you must wait almost 5 seconds before shoot again??

totally useless samsung...pls wake up......are in samsung blind??

RMW487
Contributing MemberPosts: 907Gear list
Like?
Re: slow...
In reply to ZZ9, Apr 24, 2012

I would be more impressed if Samsung spent more of their time developing faster cameras rather than wishing to stay in the slow lane. Using technology is great to save time but really this looks awkward to operate. At best a party trick once used and then forgotten.
RMW487.

RMW487's gear list:RMW487's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Nikon D40 Nikon D300
paulhome
Contributing MemberPosts: 819Gear list
Like?
In reply to RMW487, Apr 24, 2012

cool tech

Vygi
Like?

ZZ9 wrote:

Remote shooting with a smartphone can't be much faster.

Images on the camera are very big (even JPGs). Smartphones memory is quite limited. So the camera must create a thumbview (but not too small) and transfer it over WiFi to the smartphone. The phone must load it for viewing. All this procedure takes not really "almost 5 seconds" but still up to 2-3 sec. Not because of the camera! Because of the WiFi and limited smartphone resources.

tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,036Gear list
Like?

this is gotally useless for my tastes...slow and chunky

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +10 more
Nikonworks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?

I think it looks great.

Can you change shooting mode while in remote?

Can you change settings within a shooting mode?

Or are you locked into the shooting mode you are in when you select the remote on the camera?

The lag of viewing seems to be negligible for my purposes, people photography.

Thank you.

Delos
Contributing MemberPosts: 764
Like?

Thanks for the demo. I can see how this can be very useful for wildlife photographers shooting either from a blind or in an otherwise remote location. It would be interesting to see how it might work with multiple cameras at a sporting event, too.

Robert N
Senior MemberPosts: 2,007
Like?
In reply to Vygi, Apr 24, 2012

control, incl. live view. You will be able to adjust all (or almost all) camera settings remotely.

That would be great (assuming it works reasonably fast).

-- hide signature --
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,036Gear list
Like?

sorry double post

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +10 more
tkpenalty
Regular MemberPosts: 440
Like?

ZZ9 wrote:

heres the thing, without the remote viewfinder to do far-off-body shots i would have had to do multiple shots. with the remote viewfinder its just one shot.

Sure itd be better to have it quicker but this is better than nothing at this point

Rehabdoc
Contributing MemberPosts: 903
Like?

ZZ9 wrote:

Some people always find something to complain about.

Look, the thing lets you have a remote viewfinder to compose and shoot pictures. The picture is saved to the camera of course in normal time. The display seems to update fairly quickly especially given its wifi. It's find for landscapes and portraits and especially big group shots. Instead of screwing around with timers and whatnot, you just set up the camera, and you have a 30-50 foot range with this.

(Mount it on a wifi pan-tilt system, and this is unbelievably awesome)

Expecting to be able to upload the picture files to the smart phone over wifi as fast as it writes to an SD card is not a reasonable expectation.

(and adding functionality to adjust camera settings like shutter speed, power zoom, etc. is child's play compared to doing the viewfinder part. The reason that that functionality is not implemented into the app yet, is because that app you are seeing appears to be the same as the one they use for their compact cameras with wifi remote viewfinder. The NX line of wifi cameras is not launched yet, so you would not expect the more advanced version of the viewfinder to be finished yet either).

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 12,558Gear list
Like?
Some Uses for Finder

Depending on how the finder works, here are some possible uses for having a remote one (even a laggy one).

Star field/trail photos in cold weather. You sit in the car while you check settings and start the exposure in the car (and maybe check in on it).

Stealth photography: Set the camera in a remote place and get the shot you want with the phone. Would have to learn to live with the large shutter lag from the WiFi though. (keep it legal)

Group shots as already mentioned, no need to run into the frame at the last second with the timer going and has the added benefit that you can check composition as well. This would be great for someone shooting a 365 day self portrait project. It would have saved me hundreds of trips back to the camera

A person just needs to think of something creative to do with it. If a person thinks the feature is so terrible don't buy the camera. I am looking for the TV sharing function as I hate digging out cables to plug it into my TV, but since my TV is WiFi I should be able to view the images directly. I am curious how well it works (i.e. is it fast enough).

Samsung is providing a new tool for creative photography, it is up to the artists/users to adopt the technology (or not).

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +7 more
Rehabdoc
Contributing MemberPosts: 903
Like?
Re: Some Uses for Finder
In reply to viking79, Apr 24, 2012

Unlike a dedicated remote for group shots, etc., you don't have to bring an extra thingie with you.

Plus whenever you take landscapes or big nature stuff or monuments, you can't compose your shot with yourself in it. Or adjust your own jacket and hair, etc. when you pose yourself in a scene. With this you can.

Then, also with group shots, you can immediately share the group shot with all your friends.

It's not like you're going to share EVERY shot from your camera with friends burning tremendous battery life and wasting time... but it's really, really great to be able to go on vacation, and be updating your BEST shots to family, friends, and facebook, or the cloud immediately.

You have your smart phone on you everywhere you go anyway, so you're not stuck with some stupid extra piece of machinery like a remote shutter that you can lose on your travels.

jgardia
Contributing MemberPosts: 566
Like?
In reply to viking79, Apr 24, 2012

I think it might also be very useful for macro pictures, where you have to put the camera in a not so comfortable position.
The flip screen on the NX20 will also help, but the NX210 doesn't have one...

Harleysoftail
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?

Thanks so much for posting the video. I am not sure it will be a feature that I personally will use very often...but I am a positive person my nature and see no reason to be negative about an added bonus feature that is included on this impressive looking camera. Some people are always negative about change or new technology. Let's give this new camera a chance to prove itself before jumping to conclusions.

pcheywood
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
In reply to jgardia, Apr 24, 2012

No need for a right angle finder or laying down on the dirty, wet floor. Fantastic for street photography, just hang your camera around your neck (even behind you) and 'play' with your phone to become invisible.

Vygi
Like?
In reply to pcheywood, Apr 24, 2012

pcheywood wrote:

No need for a right angle finder or laying down on the dirty, wet floor. Fantastic for street photography, just hang your camera around your neck (even behind you) and 'play' with your phone to become invisible.

Hey -- great idea!

I am curiuos if touch-to-focus will work. That would be very useful feature!
Look here at 01:44 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnxvFYza6Y4

(this is the DSLR Controller app for Android to control Canon EOS cameras over USB ... similar feature for Samsung NX over WiFi should be possible, too)

-- hide signature --

P.S. here same Android app running on a bigger tablet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUzJ7Mrlp5Q -- isn's useful even for some professionals?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads