>>>> Street Photography eXchange #10 <<<

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions
ihtisham
Senior MemberPosts: 1,911
Like?
Re: Point and Shoot
In reply to fad, May 7, 2012

Good framing with a humorous touch, Frank. Somehow I have a hard time making photos like this work, but this one does. I think the contrast of the scales and also the different textures and patterns help. And the blur of the chef is not too much to be distracting.

Ihtisham

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 11,814Gear list
Like?
In reply to ihtisham, May 7, 2012

fad wrote:

ihtisham wrote:

Good framing with a humorous touch, Frank. Somehow I have a hard time making photos like this work, but this one does. I think the contrast of the scales and also the different textures and patterns help. And the blur of the chef is not too much to be distracting.

Ihtisham

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to tell you how to make shots like this , but I have fallen on my face many times and merely lucky here.

Here was some of the luck:

DOF - for too long I've been experimenting with what DOF to set as default (I'm not able to pay attention to DOF on action shots - 96% of what I shoot.) And for too long I've been missing focus on important elements. So my new mantra is --"f8 and be there." In this shot f11 or narrower would have been better, but f8 was enough for it to work, and f5.6 would have been a problem. So now I forget about the narrow DOF all these modern and expensive lenses are capable of. I'm not good enough to play around and trust to adjusting for every shot or FL.

Stationary objects - this statue moves only very slowly, every couple of weeks, and the photographer was doing the usual p&s statue routine. That made this shot easy to take. So it's an old SP trick to get the background (here, the foreground) first and then get the action.

Persistence. - HCB would spend one can only guess how long trying to take advantage of an interesting compositional situation, Peter Dumont will give it 2 minutes. I have not the patience. But this is something that I've photographed hundreds of times, and I chide myself for not getting it right. I decided a few weeks ago the crook of the arm is the way to go, and I've had repeated failures waiting briefly for some person to put his head in the right location. Cumulatively, though, that's enough time to mimic a better and more patient photographer, and something really cool actually happened.

PP - I've only PP'd it in LR, but it was enough to darken some areas and realize that the leaves could be opened up a bit. The black wall was also lucky and not intended.

Self adjustments. Since nearly all my shots fail because of me, I find it useful to pay attention to self (eye-mind-heart) adjustments when I'm out shooting. It's not as sexy as technical skill, but it where most of our progress is needed. If someone tells me I don't know how to shoot color pictures, I start collecting them, by paying attention --or I might just pay explicit attention sometimes to the emotional value of colors. On the day of this shot I was thinking (fruitlessly) of two things. Zubu has said that I was skilled at a subgenre of PS, making good pictures of ordinary situations. For one day that inspired me to take lovely shots of ordinary situations. But this was the next day, and I realized this was just a backward way of saying that both Zubu and Al would like me to be more creative in compositions. So I thought about that, and realized that I am just not good, or patient, or professional, in seeking those out. I was also thinking that rather than thinking about tone, or color, I am also deeply deficient and uncreative in using perspective. Peter D and Al make great use of street geometries, of course they are professional painters. So I had been thinking about creative compositions and using perspective that day, and they were at the back of my mind. But I had not had one inspiration for an unusual situation or one shot where perspective came into play.

And then I just got lucky. I switched to spot AF. I wish I had stopped down to f11.

If one wants to generalize, it is perhaps good when the background object and the foreground one talk to each other in a visual way.

-- hide signature --

Frank

All photos shot in downtown Manhattan unless otherwise noted.
Thanks in advance for the kindness of your comments or critiques.

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
ihtisham
Like?
In reply to fad, May 8, 2012

Well, looks like your thoughts and preparations paid off. The symmetry and rhythm of the photo are rewarding.

Your words about finding the right bg/fg resonate. The NG photographer Sam Abell's mantra is "compose and wait." Ie, find the right background (and foreground if needed) and then wait for the right thing to happen. With patience this can yield very precisely composed candid shots.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Ihtisham

albobkin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,791
Like?
street movement

28mm(eq.)
--
al

albobkin
Like?
rural entertainment
In reply to albobkin, May 8, 2012

28mm(eq)
--
al

ihtisham
Like?
Re: street movement
In reply to albobkin, May 8, 2012

This is a precise and rich photograph. Very nice. Lots of things going on. Every time I look at it, there is something new.

Ihtisham

ihtisham
Like?
Four from a Festival

From Buddha Purnima, celebrating the birth of Lord Buddha.

Thanks,
Ihtisham

xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,137Gear list
Like?
follow along

fad
fad
Like?
In reply to albobkin, May 9, 2012

albobkin wrote:

28mm(eq.)
--
al

A very inspiring example of using perspective and careful composition. The street lights and the tree are glorious.

Did you use a camera with a flip down lcd?
--
Frank

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
fad
fad
Like?
Title suggestions needed.
In reply to fad, May 9, 2012

The Village, corner of Minetta St & Minetta Lane.

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad
fad
Like?
Re: follow along
In reply to xtoph, May 9, 2012

xtoph wrote:

The visual pun is clever.

Most of the top of the photo only serves to draw the eye away from the bottom and might benefit from judicious cropping.
--
Frank

fad
fad
Like?
When Wall Street (or Capitalism) Occupies a City

Ortzeit Local Time. Photography 1990 - 2004.

Der Spiegel has a photo gallery showing change in East Germany

Fascinating. The same views are taken in 1990 and about 10 years later, from the same spot, using the same focal length.

There is currently an exhibition in the Museum of Communication in Berlin.

-- hide signature --

Frank

ihtisham
Like?
Re: follow along
In reply to xtoph, May 9, 2012

Nice resonance with the footprints, Chris.

Ihtisham

ihtisham
Like?
Re: Title suggestions needed.

It slices, it dices...

Goes rather well with the white, don't you think?

No good. Zone six is missing.

Want to see others? I have to reach behind to pull them out.

Ihtisham

Zubu Barunda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,069Gear list
Like?
In reply to ihtisham, May 9, 2012

Ihtisham, I love your comment “No good. Zone six is missing.” I enjoyed it thoroughly

I think the girl standing by the wall is a time traveller. For some reason the girl fascinates me more than the guy wearing a wedding dress. This is the most unusual and enigmatic photo, which stays in one’s mind.

ihtisham wrote:

It slices, it dices...

Goes rather well with the white, don't you think?

No good. Zone six is missing.

Want to see others? I have to reach behind to pull them out.

Ihtisham

albobkin
Like?
In reply to fad, May 10, 2012

fad wrote:

albobkin wrote:

28mm(eq.)
--
al

A very inspiring example of using perspective and careful composition. The street lights and the tree are glorious.

Thanks.

Did you use a camera with a flip down lcd?

No (gx1), advantage of use of lens with constant FL - possibility to see a shot (frame) without looking in the VF (or lcd), this shot is made on the move.

Main here (for me) was crossing movement of the girl in a monastic cassock and girl in muslim clothes in the street perspective, all the rest additional bonus

-- hide signature --

Frank

-- hide signature --

al

albobkin
Like?

fad wrote:

The Village, corner of Minetta St & Minetta Lane.
-it's the good title.
no other,please.
Beautiful shot!

-- hide signature --

Frank

-- hide signature --

al

albobkin
Like?
Re: Thank you,Ihtisham. (nt)
In reply to ihtisham, May 10, 2012

ihtisham wrote:

This is a precise and rich photograph. Very nice. Lots of things going on. Every time I look at it, there is something new.

Ihtisham

-- hide signature --

al

pierre1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,502
Like?
buttocks & the grand piano

cafe. one is never to old to yearn (d90)

the grand piano. actually a street person & reflection from the parasols (d90)

Pierre

ihtisham
Like?
Re: buttocks & the grand piano
In reply to pierre1, May 10, 2012

Wow, very nice, particularly the grand piano. The buttocks is humorous, too.

Hope to see more of your work here.

Ihtisham

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads