Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,259Gear list
Like?
>>>> Street Photography eXchange #10 <<<
Apr 24, 2012

Thread #10
This is the former Anything Goes section of Weekly Street Photography.

It is the place to post your serious photos and to make thoughtful comments.

-- hide signature --

> Post new photos as a reply to this message.
Always post in threaded view.
(It keeps things organized and makes your photos easier to notice.)
--
Frank

All photos shot in downtown Manhattan unless otherwise noted.
Thanks in advance for the kindness of your comments or critiques.

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +9 more
MarcovM
Regular MemberPosts: 497
Like?
it's been a while...
In reply to fad, Apr 24, 2012

that I was posting here, here's my latest project: I followed occupy amsterdam for the two month they occupied the beursplein in Amsterdam, let me know what you thinks
thanks,
Marco

http://nl.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/2585852/0418e289140c0437e27484aa14c03b670860088e

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ihtisham
Senior MemberPosts: 1,916
Like?
Four feet...

Thanks,
Ihtisham

ihtisham
Like?
Re: it's been a while...
In reply to MarcovM, Apr 24, 2012

Some very memorable shots there Marco, congratulations!

Nice book design, too.

Can blurb correctly print a book with one photo spread over two pages?

Ihtisham

ihtisham
Like?
Late one afternoon

Thanks,
Ihtisham

xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,492Gear list
Like?
"simplify"

this is a category i've begun to loosely collate based on the text in the first photo, below, and the the sense that there is something of a contradiction entailed between the impulse to simplify and the possibility that further complications will arise from that impulse...

this set is centered around food.

xtoph
Like?
Re: Four feet...
In reply to ihtisham, Apr 24, 2012

i really like the concept. i find myself stumbling over the reversed direction of the little feet, though.

xtoph
Like?
Re: Late one afternoon

lovely attitudes and arrangement. the sense of light is very nice, and it's a difficult one to pull off. there do seem to be some strange halos around the people's heads, though--did you use a defringing or blur tool, or some kind of mask to burn in around? if so, i think it needs to be refined.

xtoph
Like?

i've had several looks at these so far, and been more impressed each time. there are quite a few spots where, photographically, i just have to say 'wow'.

the organization and design is generally excellent, with a gestalt emerging much greater than the parts. i am not completely sure about the placement of the first shot after the text intros; while i like the photo, i wonder whether a sharper, clearer photo might be a better choice to lead off with. or maybe not, metaphorically, but in terms of pulling the viewer in to the whole book, probably the first three pics ought to be more accessible.

but i would have to see it in print to really tell for sure.

thanks for posting again marco, and hope you stop by more frequently.

MarcovM
Like?

well it was a difficult decission to use spreads through the whole book. I didn't wanted facing pages for this book and didn't want text or blank pages so I cut most photographs over spreads. I printed the book as a paperback which gives a less problematic gutter as a hardcover gives, the ultimate binding will be a traditional binding, Im planning to look into producing my own book (printing , binding) but no time yet

using spreads in blurb books is tricky.

MarcovM
Like?
In reply to xtoph, Apr 24, 2012

thanks !!

I chosen to present the series in an inverse narrative, it begins one day before the evacuation of the camp and it ends one day after the occupying started. Ive chosen

this sequence because this is how i look back at it. Although the dark mood images are technical not the best (shot everything with the GF1 and GF2 14 and 20 mm) they give a (imho) good impression of the atmosphere of the final days: disappointment, tiredness and depressing as a result of two month camping and finally losing the battle with government, criminals and homeless people.

It was an interesting project to do, I spent a lot of time there, everyday a couple of hours, I learned a lot, most of it about myself, going through the book I can see myself getting more and more comfortable, resulting in images which go deeper, difficult to explain.

One of the downsides of having done such a project is that I can't find satisfaction in non project stuff anymore, the picture for the sake of picture approach, which street photography is. At the moment I need all my energy for the business but I will continue visiting this place and promise to leave a comment every now an then.
kind regards
Marco

ihtisham
Like?
Re: "simplify"

Well that is an intriguing thought, Chris. I would have been cynical whether it can be done with photographs, but the first two are certainly promising.

Ihtisham

ihtisham
Like?

btw, I agree with Chris that some of those photos are wow photos. I specially liked
the night/low-light photos.

Good luck with your bookmaking venture.

Ihtisham

fad
fad
Like?

As someone who, on political grounds, believed OWS a step backward for society and, on esthetic grounds, refused to travel even a short distance to photograph OWS, because it was street theater and too little of a challenge, with all that I found this an impressive effort.

The reverse chronological arrangement is brilliant. The early shots, though not without some merit, tend to be superficial, pictorial, naive, sentimental --the reasons I eschewed following the crowd to OWS in the first place.

But the deepening elegaic tone I found moving. You truly engaged emotionally and thoughtfully with your theme, and the results show in the photographs. Your camera stopped being a mirror and became a lens.

I wish there were room to go over the photos in detail.

The statement is unsigned, so one does know who wrote it, probably you?

In any case, for people who accept original sin, or for people who know political theory (and the thoughts of the American founders), the experience of human nature you encountered is not surprising at all. I would probably have documented it with sympathetic cynicism. However, your views of tragic loss and defeat of worthwhile transformative creative ideals is more moving, even if naive from a more knowing perspective, and makes for better art. We don't care if Othello, Lear, Macbeth, Oedipus are somewhat deluded and ridiculous. It is their humanity, cojoined with our own experience of our own condition, that makes their stories able to be moving and illuminating art.

Very well done, Marco.

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad
fad
Like?
Re: "simplify"

I agree with Ihtisham. I this direction has a great deal of promise.

xtoph wrote:

this is a category i've begun to loosely collate based on the text in the first photo, below, and the the sense that there is something of a contradiction entailed between the impulse to simplify and the possibility that further complications will arise from that impulse...

this set is centered around food.

-- hide signature --

Frank

Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,642Gear list
Like?
nothing to see here
In reply to fad, Apr 25, 2012

content deleted

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
ihtisham
Like?
Re: Late one afternoon
In reply to xtoph, Apr 25, 2012

I noticed the halo. It could have been flaring. I was shooting pretty much into the
sun. Also, it was underexposed and I had to pull up the exposure quite a bit.

I have seen that halo in some other photos in extreme lighting like this.

Ihtisham

albobkin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,817
Like?
In reply to MarcovM, Apr 25, 2012

Marco,
i like very much your Elegy of the next human utopian attempt...

The begin from the end impresses,
the sight from within convinces,

choice of the camera and "imperfect" quality of a photo convinces (witnesses quality),

it is very good that only few concrete slogans in a shots - does the story timeless,human and universal.
Very strong (and nice) editing,
well done!
--
al

fad
fad
Like?
Treasure trove of NYC photos

The municipal archive has put online 870,000 historical photos of NYC.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/gallery/home.shtml

Don't bother to check it out for a while. Their servers have crashed under the volume.

The UK Daily Mail has some samples:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2134408/Never-seen-photos-100-years-ago-tell-vivid-story-gritty-New-York-City.html?ICO=most_read_module

Not to be missed.
--
Frank

fad
fad
Like?
Report on Nikon 24-70/2.8

I started using it just to get ready for getting the 800E, someday in the indefinite future, there is such a backlog at B&H.

I am giving up a lot of shots I normally take longer on the 24-120, but I've kept using it for the last few weeks for 2 reasons:

The zoom ring is so much smoother that it makes it feasible to zoom at eye level. My copy of the 24-120 is just too stiff.

If is forcing me to shoot closer than I normally do.

The image quality and focus are terrific, but it's the two reasons above that keep me using it.

The 24-120 is still shorter and has a wider zoom range.
--
Frank

Thansks in advance for the kindness of your comments or critiques.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads