Oly 75-300mm lens... Is it REALLY WORTH GETTING?

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions
eyeshutter
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
Oly 75-300mm lens... Is it REALLY WORTH GETTING?
Apr 24, 2012

Any reason why the Olympus 75-300mm is so darn expensive ($899) compared to the Panasonic 100-300mm (499), besides the obvious 25mm gap & lens weight?

I've read from different forums that both lenses take great pictures & neither one is supreme over the other.

Is it worth buying the Oly 75-300mm, or just stay conservative & go for the Panny 100-300mm lens?

Planning to pair one of these with my soon-to-arrive E-M5 (I hope)...

jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122
Like?
Re: Oly 75-300mm lens... Is it REALLY WORTH GETTING?
In reply to eyeshutter, Apr 24, 2012

for the $400 you save with the panny you get a free oly 45mm.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ollie 2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?

The Pani is pretty good. It feels somewhat “cheap” and some (including mine) suffer from lens creep.

But it’s relatively clean for the price.

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +16 more
AV Janus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,815Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ollie 2, Apr 24, 2012

The OLY needs a exterior refresh, Desperately!
It looks the same as the old kit lens and costs $900.
If it were all shiny and new looking it would be a great lens.
--
Rick Halle wrote:

" Keep in mind that tall buildings sway back and forth so they require faster shutter speeds."

AV Janus's gear list:AV Janus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,062Gear list
Like?
From what I have seen yes....

I think the IQ is a bit better than the Panasonic including colour and contrast. It also looks sharp wide open. The Panasonic looks like a very good lens but I'm getting the Oly. It's also smaller and lighter. The differences might not be huge but with Oly you generally get what you pay for and there are some exotic elements in this lens. More expensive lenses aren't generally hugely better than cheaper counterparts but there are often subtle differences. There is also quite a difference between 75mm and 100mm at the wide end. I'm prepared to pay for the slightly better performance on the m.zuiko, plenty won't but I believe there is enough of a difference to make it worth it for me personally.

-- hide signature --

It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
mfbernstein
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,518
Like?
Don't forget OIS

eyeshutter wrote:

Any reason why the Olympus 75-300mm is so darn expensive ($899) compared to the Panasonic 100-300mm (499), besides the obvious 25mm gap & lens weight?

I've read from different forums that both lenses take great pictures & neither one is supreme over the other.

Is it worth buying the Oly 75-300mm, or just stay conservative & go for the Panny 100-300mm lens?

OIS is a big advantage. At 300mm a stabilized viewfinder is a huge help, and aside from the E-M5, the 75-300 won't give you one. The 100-300 will give you a stabilized viewfinder on any body.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

'Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit.' - Ed Abbey

daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,118Gear list
Like?
Here are a couple good reasons for the Oly... (imgs)

It is a very solidly built and sharp lens.

God Bless,
Greg
http://www.imagismphotos.com
http://www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com
http://www.pbase.com/daddyo

Olympus PEN E-PL2
1/10s f/6.7 at 300.0mm iso200

Olympus PEN E-PL2
1/1600s f/6.4 at 246.0mm iso800

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
SaltLakeGuy
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,954Gear list
Like?
The thing is
In reply to mfbernstein, Apr 24, 2012

The M5 DOES offer a stabilized view with it's new IBIS system and offers MORE stops of stabilization than the OIS does. So the Panny isn't the winner with that combo

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
dko22
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?

In the UK just now, if you're willing to buy a Pen E-PM1 or E-PL3, you can get a massive £200 off the 75-300 which makes it around £389. Cheaper than the Panny in fact (although the Panny itself now has a £50 cashback making it very close)! OK, I don't actually really want a Pen mini but at only £300 with 14-42 after a £50 cashback, I could consider it either as a causal small and backup camera or for immediate resale.

From what I've seen, the Oly probably has the edge in IQ. It ought to with a more sophisticated construction. The added range down to 75 and the probable greater stabilization on the E-M5 (which I've almost certainly now decided to get) would swing it for me. The slowness would be compensated by the fact that virtually all reviewers say it's fine wide open which is not the case I would say for the 45-200 for instance.

David

dko22's gear list:dko22's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more
j.m.young
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
Re: The thing is
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, Apr 24, 2012

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

The M5 DOES offer a stabilized view with it's new IBIS system and offers MORE stops of stabilization than the OIS does. So the Panny isn't the winner with that combo

Both lenses are winners. Most of the pros for the Olympus and Panasonic have been noted but the biggest plus for me is the Olympus just feels like a quality lens. There is no comparison in the feel of the two lenses. The Olympus zoom and focus is just smooth as can...not so with the Panasonic. I really like that the Olympus is smaller also. I have no reason to push one over the other I have both. I just love the feel of a quality lens. I use the Panasonic on my GH2 and the Olympus on my E-M5. Not a pixel peeper so the IQ really looks comparable to me. I think unless you are really looking for the best quality feel you will be happy with which ever one you pick.

j.m.young's gear list:j.m.young's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +34 more
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 16,929Gear list
Like?

eyeshutter wrote:

Pros for the Pany:

• Faster across the range the two lenses have in common (100-300 mm)

• OIS

• Considerably less expensive

Pros for the Oly:

• Slightly smaller/lighter

• Covers the 75-100 mm range

Haven't been able to discern any noticeable difference in image quality. Both appear to be very good in that regard.

I personally have the Pany 100-300 and am very happy with it. Right now, I have the 45-200 and a Minolta MD 85/2 to help me out with the range between 45 and 100. Although pretty happy with those two as well, I will probably get rid of both and buy the Oly 75/1.8 instead when it appears.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
eyeshutter
Like?
Re: From what I have seen yes....
In reply to papillon_65, Apr 25, 2012

Yeah, but... are the subtleties enough to warrant an extra $400 charge on the lens?

I guess it's a matter of perspective.

eyeshutter
Like?
Re: Here are a couple good reasons for the Oly... (imgs)
In reply to daddyo, Apr 25, 2012

Thank you for the impressive samples. I also saw some samples on flickr for both lenses... Which, unfortunately, didn't help.

I'll have to research further for picture comparison (of the same sample image) taken by the two lenses.

Great shot of the dog, btw.

papillon_65
Like?
Re: From what I have seen yes....
In reply to eyeshutter, Apr 25, 2012

eyeshutter wrote:

Yeah, but... are the subtleties enough to warrant an extra $400 charge on the lens?

I guess it's a matter of perspective.

For me yes, the oof areas on the Oly also look very smooth and bokeh is also very nice. As I said the diffferences are very subtle but they make the Oly a better proposition for me. I'd rather pay less for it but you get what you pay for with exotic lens elements. It will also work better for me on my EP3.
--
Tony

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?

Hi

I Love mine. It is pretty amazing to have 600 mm (equiv) at your fingertips.
But it takes some good light or high ISO to perform.

BR

Marcus

eyeshutter wrote:

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrScorpio, Apr 25, 2012

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,127Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrScorpio, Apr 25, 2012

An egregious case of the mFT lens "tax" that sometimes rears its head. I bought the FT 70-300mm for $230 on sale a couple years back, it now sells for $399 at B&H. The 75-300mm is priced at $899 on B&H.

Why the price more than doubled (in my case almost quadrupled) going from a large lens (not that large actually) to a smaller lens with likely less expensive smaller optics while offering essentially the same performance is a question. Still can't track with an mFT body, so no plus there. Consequently, I see no need to "upgrade".

In fairness, the 75-300's advantages, in addition to smaller size/lighter weight, is its video capabilities. I don't shoot video, so this doesn't entice me.

There's a number of fairly priced excellent mFT lenses available (45mm f1.8 at $400, 20mm f1.7 at $350, 25mm f1.4 at $500), this just isn't one of them IMOP.
--
Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Adjuster
Contributing MemberPosts: 871Gear list
Like?

According to anecdotal, which tested both lenses, the Olympus got 3 of 5 stars and the Panasonic got 4 of 5.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-g-vario-100-300mm-f-4-0-5-6-zoom-lens-review-17763

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-m-zuiko-ed-75-300mm-f-4-8-6-7-lens-review-18990

Both had about the same resolution at 300mm, but the chromatic aberration of the Olympus was worse.

I prefer to rely on tests rather than anecdotal reports. BTW, I have the Panasonic lens and have gotten excellent results. It is heavier than the Olympus, however. 520 grams vs. 430g.

So in this case, you can save your money and get better results.

Adjuster's gear list:Adjuster's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,902
Like?
Oly 4/3 70-300

I picked one up for $200.
Great lens when stopped down to f8

Jeff.

papillon_65
Like?
Bear in mind.......
In reply to Adjuster, Apr 25, 2012

Adjuster wrote:

According to anecdotal, which tested both lenses, the Olympus got 3 of 5 stars and the Panasonic got 4 of 5.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-g-vario-100-300mm-f-4-0-5-6-zoom-lens-review-17763

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-m-zuiko-ed-75-300mm-f-4-8-6-7-lens-review-18990

Both had about the same resolution at 300mm, but the chromatic aberration of the Olympus was worse.

I prefer to rely on tests rather than anecdotal reports. BTW, I have the Panasonic lens and have gotten excellent results. It is heavier than the Olympus, however. 520 grams vs. 430g.

So in this case, you can save your money and get better results.

This is the same site that gave the 4/3's ZD 50mm F2 a rather lukewarm review when everyone else acknowledges it to be stellar. If this is a site you use as your reference point for lens reviews then I'd seriously think again.
--
Tony

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads