Which bag for X-Pro 1? (with and without laptop)

Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions
wilburpan
Regular MemberPosts: 143
Like?
Which bag for X-Pro 1? (with and without laptop)
Apr 24, 2012

Despite the fact that many photo bloggers have returned their X-Pro 1's :D, I placed an order for one today with the 18mm and 35mm lenses. Now I need a bag to hold the new gear. The only place around that carries camera bags is Best Buy, so my selection options aren't great for bags that I can hold and check out. And it seems like there are better options out there.

For the X-Pro 1 users out there, which bag are you using to carry your stuff? I'm looking for recommendations for camera/lenses/accessory bags, and also the same plus the ability to pack a small laptop or iPad.

Thanks!

dzeanah
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
Re: Which bag for X-Pro 1? (with and without laptop)
In reply to wilburpan, Apr 24, 2012

I'm using a Domke F-803 -- I saw this review and said "yep, looks good."

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/04/12/i-found-my-bag-the-domke-f-803/

I took it to Europe for a couple of weeks last year and packed it with:

• Olympus EPL-2

• Viewfinder and a tiny flash

• 20mm pancake, 9-18mm zoom, 14-40mm zoom, 50-150mm zoom

• Tabletop tripod

• Spare batteries and flash cards

• Ipad

Now I'm moving to Fujiland, and I've only got the XP1, 35mm, and 18mm lenses so I can't tell you better than that how well things fit. I expect to be able to throw in a small flash, the 60mm, spare batteries and cards, my kindle, and still have room for that iPad and 1-2 bottles of water.

Overall it's a good bag. Big enough, doesn't scream camera, closes tightly, waterproof-ish (it's a wax coating, so like combat boots it does great when the wax is done properly), etc.

Here's a photo next to a tripod and monopod. Tiny. Enough to walk for 20 miles in a day and not get exhausted.

If I was shopping for a new bag I'd consider this one and its relatives as well. Others seem to like it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XYZI0Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3
--
Derek

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NOLA JAMES
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?

I bought the Billingham Hadley Pro which has enough room for the Xp1 and it's three lenses, the battery charger, cleaning accessories, spare batteries, filters, and a ipad. Nothing is difficult to get out of the bag. One of the better made camera bags.

NOLA JAMES's gear list:NOLA JAMES's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,872Gear list
Like?
Billingham every time
In reply to NOLA JAMES, Apr 24, 2012

Can't buy a better bag for your X-Pro1

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
Cyclopedia Brown
Contributing MemberPosts: 606Gear list
Like?

I personally bought this camera because I wanted something that I could carry everywhere. Obviously I dont want to carry a laptop everywhere so I didnt even consider that feature. A bag adds to the size and weight of this system so for me the size of the bag would have to be small.

In the past I have tried many different bags for my DSLRs. 4 backpacks later I settled on the Think Tank brand. They make awesome bags.

Their retrospective bags have that retro look to match the X-Pro1, however they are quite expensive. So initially I was going to order a Domke F-5XB which was a bit cheaper. I placed the order and everything but the bag was on backorder so I switched and ordered another think tank. The Hubba Hubba Hiney.

It isn't retro looking but it matches the quality of my DSLR packs and has the rain cover I love so much. For $50 it seems suitable and is even cheaper than the Domke. I may get a retrospective 5 later, but for now this suites my needs just fine.

-- hide signature --

Cyclopedia Creative Media
"Ideas that speak volumes"
Chi "Cyclopedia" Brown
http://CyclopediaCreativeMedia.com

Cyclopedia Brown's gear list:Cyclopedia Brown's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
smatty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,798Gear list
Like?
Think Tank Retrospective

Think Tank Retrospective 5 if you only want to carry camera and lenses.

Think Tank Retrospective 7 if you want to carry camera and lenses plus iPad.

Think Tank Retrospective 10 if you want to carry camera, lenses, iPad and a 11" MBA.

Cheers,
Smatty

Homepage => http://www.PhotosdeLux.com
Recent Flickr Photos => http://www.flickr.com/photos/internationalphotos/

smatty's gear list:smatty's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D +16 more
jtwz8975
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?

I decided on a Wotancraft Scout from the Wotancraft City Explorer line. Very retro look that will match the camera well, (although expensive). There is a YouTube video of the bag too which shows the details.

http://www.wotancraft.com/shop/bag/scout

You can order it here http://www.barton1972.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_8&products_id=50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scXtaZ4DC6A

I don't use a camera strap because they drive me nuts. I just use a small wrist strap and stick the camera in the bag when I'm not shooting. Plus the bag holds the other 2 lenses as well.

jtwz8975's gear list:jtwz8975's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +5 more
Nastavnik
Regular MemberPosts: 354
Like?
Re: Think Tank Retrospective
In reply to smatty, Apr 24, 2012

isn't the retrospective 5 a bit big for the xpro ?

I am on the fence... I would only have the xpro and another lens, or xpro and x100 inside.

harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
Kata DC-433

A small bag, if you want something just to cover the camera with a bit of room.

A great bag.

I have used for both Leica M9 and Fuji xpro-1 with room for a medium size spare lens, filters, cleaning cloths and SD cards

Hard sides ensure protection
Yellow interior make things easy to see
Clever swivel strap connectors mean that you can never put it on the "wrong way"

I actually have a number of different Kata bags as the build standard is great

wilburpan wrote:

Despite the fact that many photo bloggers have returned their X-Pro 1's :D, I placed an order for one today with the 18mm and 35mm lenses. Now I need a bag to hold the new gear. The only place around that carries camera bags is Best Buy, so my selection options aren't great for bags that I can hold and check out. And it seems like there are better options out there.

For the X-Pro 1 users out there, which bag are you using to carry your stuff? I'm looking for recommendations for camera/lenses/accessory bags, and also the same plus the ability to pack a small laptop or iPad.

Thanks!

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Sony RX1R Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
Re: Which bag for X-Pro 1? Hubba Hubba Hiney?
In reply to Cyclopedia Brown, Apr 24, 2012

I too am seeking a 'man purse' for my Xpro-1.

I'm betwixt and between the LowePro Event Messenger 100 and the Hubba Hubba...

My current strongest inclination is the Hubba.... as I ride bicycles and think it could work well on the bike.

-Framus

Cyclopedia Brown wrote:

I personally bought this camera because I wanted something that I could carry everywhere. Obviously I dont want to carry a laptop everywhere so I didnt even consider that feature. A bag adds to the size and weight of this system so for me the size of the bag would have to be small.

In the past I have tried many different bags for my DSLRs. 4 backpacks later I settled on the Think Tank brand. They make awesome bags.

Their retrospective bags have that retro look to match the X-Pro1, however they are quite expensive. So initially I was going to order a Domke F-5XB which was a bit cheaper. I placed the order and everything but the bag was on backorder so I switched and ordered another think tank. The Hubba Hubba Hiney.

It isn't retro looking but it matches the quality of my DSLR packs and has the rain cover I love so much. For $50 it seems suitable and is even cheaper than the Domke. I may get a retrospective 5 later, but for now this suites my needs just fine.

-- hide signature --

Chi "Cyclopedia" Brown

framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
SVan2
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
In reply to framus, Apr 24, 2012

I recently got the Event Messenger 100 for the XP1 with the 35mm. It is nice, small, light, good for a minimalist bag. Non-removable shoulder strap.

No good if you want to carry the 2 extra lenses and flash. But isn't that why we all are getting away from big SLR systems we lug around?

mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,501
Like?
In reply to SVan2, Apr 24, 2012

I just hold the camera in the OEM leather case and the extra lenses in a really small canvas shoulder bag. I bought a few neoprene pouches to protect the lenses.

Bob Randall
Forum MemberPosts: 93Gear list
Like?

Using a Lowepro Nova 160 AW. $74 Canadian

Large enough for body, 3 lenses, 3 batteries, charger, two socks and a flash. Use this bag for transport on trips and revert to 2 clean socks in jacket for lenses and body and lens on strap.

Bob Randall's gear list:Bob Randall's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D3 Fujifilm X-Pro1
Cyclopedia Brown
Contributing MemberPosts: 606Gear list
Like?

framus wrote:

I too am seeking a 'man purse' for my Xpro-1.

I'm betwixt and between the LowePro Event Messenger 100 and the Hubba Hubba...

My current strongest inclination is the Hubba.... as I ride bicycles and think it could work well on the bike.

-Framus

I am a bike rider also and that is one thing I dont like the Hubba Hubba Hiney for. It slides from my back to my side. I am thinking about putting griptape or rubber lining on the portion that touches my back so it wont slide so easily.
Other than that it is ok.
--
Chi "Cyclopedia" Brown

Cyclopedia Brown's gear list:Cyclopedia Brown's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
DaniDR
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?
Crumpler New Delhi 230

Looks good, doesn't scream "cameraaaa!!!" and it's outstanding quality. Holds the XPro1 plus two lenses, spare battery and some more stuff. It's quite compact and sturdy. Crumpler has many nice bags, and the quality is very nice. I did notice that the bags you find in the US are not the same as in Europe. I got two crumpler's on my last trip to Europe and as far as I know they're not exactly the same in the US.

RealXenuis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?

I use a Chrome Citizen and have added an insert. Fits the body + lenses, Macbook Air, and has room for things like a small flash and a small packable jacket or hoodie. It's waterproof and seems bulletproof (I was hit while riding my bicycle by a cop, had it for 4 yrs now and still looks new). I've taken it everywhere. Most versatile bag I could imagine, yet it's simple, rainproof, and is the most comfortable bag I could find for riding bikes. Won't swing to the side, shoulder strap/padding is untouchable.

I also bought a simple/small shoulder bag from Brooklyn Industries. Works great for just cam + lenses and a couple odds/ends

Lassi
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Re: Think Tank Retrospective
In reply to Nastavnik, Apr 24, 2012

If you want to fit the body with a lens attached and two extra lenses, then it's perfect.
Definitely not too big.

My vote goes to Retrospective 5.

Nastavnik wrote:

isn't the retrospective 5 a bit big for the xpro ?

I am on the fence... I would only have the xpro and another lens, or xpro and x100 inside.

Muus
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?

I bought the Billingham Hadley Digital - in black, as the khaki version looked too much like a beauty case to even my European eyes. But the black one is an ideal 'man purse'. Would fit all three lenses if I had them. I looked at Domke, Think tank & Crumpler bags, and they all looked good, but: I don't want velcro. Even if I am the only person around, I still dislike the sound. While the camera operates so quietly (even more so after the update).

And this place being as good as any other to say so: I haven't enjoyed a camera so much since the days of film as the XPro1. Feels like coming home. Puts me in the right (happy, attentive, what have you) mood for photography. Is a tool that becomes a part of me, so I can forget about it (just in case that anyone wonders, this is meant as a positive statement).

Muus

junyo
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?
In reply to RealXenuis, Apr 24, 2012

+1 for Chrome messenger bags. I have the Metropolis and yeah, it's well nigh indestructible.

RealXenuis wrote:

I use a Chrome Citizen and have added an insert. Fits the body + lenses, Macbook Air, and has room for things like a small flash and a small packable jacket or hoodie. It's waterproof and seems bulletproof (I was hit while riding my bicycle by a cop, had it for 4 yrs now and still looks new). I've taken it everywhere. Most versatile bag I could imagine, yet it's simple, rainproof, and is the most comfortable bag I could find for riding bikes. Won't swing to the side, shoulder strap/padding is untouchable.

I also bought a simple/small shoulder bag from Brooklyn Industries. Works great for just cam + lenses and a couple odds/ends

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?

Presently using a Billingham Hadley Pro in green fibrenyte with tan leather trim. Will take a full XP1 kit, iPad or Macbook Air 11"plus "stuff".

However, Artisan & Artist make a bag called the Image Smith which has 3 separate lens pouches on the front accessed via a separate zip from the main compartment.

I am thinking that this might make for speedy lens changes: remove lens and drop into empty slot, take out new lens and attach, go! You can see what I am getting at if you look at the images here

http://www.artisanandartist.com/bags/acam1000.htm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads