B&H D800 "out of stock"

Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions
Clark Hampton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,853Gear list
Like?
B&H D800 "out of stock"
Apr 23, 2012

Used to be released in limited quantities. Now you cannot even order it.
They must be wanting to clear the decks...maybe.

Clark Hampton's gear list:Clark Hampton's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +4 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jambalawa
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?
Re: B&H D800 "out of stock"
In reply to Clark Hampton, Apr 23, 2012

I'd say they're aware off the bad publicity and the prospect of annoying (and therefore losing future) customers...

I know its not all their fault or even hardly at all perhaps but perceptions count. When you see other people posting "my shiny D800 arrived today!" and you hear of no B&H orders being fulfilled its just a natural reaction.

I won't be ordering a camera from them again - as many have said you're better off using the corner store it seems.

jambalawa's gear list:jambalawa's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mastertrimix
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?

What's worse at B&H Photo--can't find definition
1)Temporarily out of stock--D800
or
2)Pre Order. Release in limited quantity-D800E

Sounds like they received D800 at one time in the past but have not received D800E at all

mastertrimix's gear list:mastertrimix's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony RX100 II Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R +7 more
p ward
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
In reply to mastertrimix, Apr 23, 2012

I think it is a smart move and overdue. If they still can't cover orders from the first few minutes of Feb 6/7, it will likely be a very long time before they can cover new orders placed in April... which will result in even more frustrated customers. Better to wait until Nikon starts shipping reasonable quantities before taking more orders.

I've noticed some other online sellers doing the same now.

David314
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,632
Like?
Way over due

Clark Hampton wrote:

Used to be released in limited quantities. Now you cannot even order it.
They must be wanting to clear the decks...maybe.

B&H should have done this long ago. They may not have known how many D800's they would receive but one would think they had a pretty good idea and they took unlimited preorders gambling they could honor them, and lost.

kanefsky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089
Like?
Re: Way over due
In reply to David314, Apr 24, 2012

The D800e is still order-able and so is the D4, even though people who ordered on January 9th are still waiting for that. Strange...

-- hide signature --

Steve

stormshadow
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?
In reply to Clark Hampton, Apr 24, 2012

Maybe their system defaults to "out of stock" when they hit so many pre-orders. There are still people ordering this camera not knowing how bad the back log is at B&H, Adorama and other online stores because they don't use websites or forums like this.

flbrit
Senior MemberPosts: 2,958Gear list
Like?
another well PO'ed, maybe soon to be EX, B&H customer here too
In reply to jambalawa, Apr 24, 2012

I have orderd many $000's of stuff from them over the last few years and even sold stuff back to them in trade.

I also run a small camera club and have pointed more than one person there way.

Lack of effective communication plus the apparent availability else where is driving me nuts. I really do have to re-evaluate my future purchasing policy.

I used to work in a very large International Company and once in a while we did suffer from lack of supply in the face of huge demand. We did not handle it by taking orders we could not reasonably meet and we communicated our supply policy to our regular customers.

This will have an effect on the business going forward and some sort of effective damage control needs to be enacted.

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
kanefsky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089
Like?
Re: another well PO'ed, maybe soon to be EX, B&H customer here too
In reply to flbrit, Apr 24, 2012

flbrit wrote:

Lack of effective communication plus the apparent availability else where is driving me nuts. I really do have to re-evaluate my future purchasing policy.

It's a stretch to say that there is "apparent availability" anywhere else. Sure, some people have gotten them, but it's like trying to find a parking space. It's easy to see lots of other people finding them around you, but much harder to find one for yourself

-- hide signature --

Steve

ron_9
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,681Gear list
Like?

the best photo site in the world, largest selection, best web site, outstanding return policy, very informative, great customer service and you cry babies sit here like the consumer you are crying to high heaven----get a life or at least put it in perspective.

I can't believe that folks are getting all upset about something that happens every time a new and improved comes out and the logistics of just doing that are mind boggling--all you whiners apply for employment with Nikon, right now, so we can get our cameras instantly---please read the little quote below---Honestly detach a bit and read the post---somethings wrong here and it's not Nikon------------ron s.
Keeping it sane in an insane world is an inconvenience at an inconvenient time!!
http://www.pbase.com/ron9ron

ron_9's gear list:ron_9's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
jcb9001
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
In reply to ron_9, Apr 24, 2012

Amen, Ron, well said.

Something is wrong, and it's not Nikon, and it's not B+H either.

mastertrimix
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
In reply to kanefsky, Apr 24, 2012

Is B&H getting punished by Nikon or does Nikon take orders totally out of order? Why are some shops able to satisfy new orders when they already have old orders from B&H or others months before? What is Nikon's logic. To me the old orders are from people that you want to sell to. Logic to me is that B&H is being punished or Nikon is crazy

mastertrimix's gear list:mastertrimix's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony RX100 II Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R +7 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,657Gear list
Like?
In reply to mastertrimix, Apr 24, 2012

mastertrimix wrote:

Logic to me is that B&H is being punished or Nikon is crazy

There is some federal regulation at play in the way Nikon USA allocates cameras, which disfavors big shops like B&H
--
Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,267
Like?
In reply to mastertrimix, Apr 24, 2012

I have built up a credit of $2,200 at B & H and was going to preorder the d800 today after I got my last credit only to find out that they are not taking pre-orders at this time. Since the $2,200 is in credit in the form of gift certificates, I can only order merchandise with no refund on the certificates ugh!!!!! I have a limited amount of funding and don't want any more merchandise, only wanted to order the d800.

I don't put the blame on anyone, but this whole thing has seemed strange to me. My local camera shop has beautiful brochures of the d800, but have only received two cameras right after they were released. My name is on their list with no money down.

I know when I was looking for the d3s that I bought in August of 2010, B & H had none in stock, so I checked with my local camera store and got one within a couple days. I prefer to deal locally to actually hold the camera in my hands before handing over the money that now I don't have.

It may not be anyones fault, but for some reason I feel the lack of information is not good business sense.

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?
And what have we gained?

This means that if a person wants to order a D800 now he can't have his name on the waiting list.

Instead one has to check B&H web page regularly until they re-open the waiting list. If that person misses the moment it happens he may end up very far away in the list even if he was just about to order today.

I understand B&H's decision, after all the abuse they went through in recent days.

But what have we gained? Nothing. Zip. Nada. That's not going to help anybody in this forum to get his camera any earlier. That's just going to make it more difficult for somebody who wants to order from this store to do so in the next days or weeks.

The whiners who have bashed B&H repeatedly will feel vindicated (see some comments on this thread overdue blah blah blah) but the reality is they've done a diservice to the community.
--
Thierry

Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, Apr 24, 2012

larrywilson wrote:

I have built up a credit of $2,200 at B & H (snip) in the form of gift certificates (snip) only wanted to order the d800.

Try calling them or e-mail Henry.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

electric eel
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
In reply to jambalawa, Apr 24, 2012

jambalawa wrote:

I'd say they're aware off the bad publicity and the prospect of annoying (and therefore losing future) customers...

I know its not all their fault or even hardly at all perhaps but perceptions count. When you see other people posting "my shiny D800 arrived today!" and you hear of no B&H orders being fulfilled its just a natural reaction.

I won't be ordering a camera from them again - as many have said you're better off using the corner store it seems.

If you only knew how many customers/orders B&H has you would be astounded. Do you think that your lost business is going to be some monumental loss for them, sorry to inform you that that it isn't. As for me I will wait for the camera, it will arrive sometime, hardly something to get upset about and I'll continue to buy from these very reputable people that have set the bar very high as an excellent retailer.

iwannabesedated
Contributing MemberPosts: 985Gear list
Like?

larrywilson wrote:

I have built up a credit of $2,200 at B & H and was going to preorder the d800 today after I got my last credit only to find out that they are not taking pre-orders at this time. Since the $2,200 is in credit in the form of gift certificates, I can only order merchandise with no refund on the certificates ugh!!!!! I have a limited amount of funding and don't want any more merchandise, only wanted to order the d800.

Be creative! Pre-order a D800E. Wait a couple of weeks, and then call B&H and tell them you want to convert your order to a D800. What could go wrong? -iwbs

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 +2 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,267
Like?
In reply to iwannabesedated, Apr 24, 2012

Heck, I'm 67, if I order the Nikon d800E, I may terminate before I get the camera and B & H will have my money!!!!!!

I could just buy a d800 from e bay for $5,000.

Smile
Larry

electric eel
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?

larrywilson wrote:

Heck, I'm 67, if I order the Nikon d800E, I may terminate before I get the camera and B & H will have my money!!!!!!

I could just buy a d800 from e bay for $5,000.

Smile
Larry

Larry, unless you are not telling us something about your health the average age for a male should be somewhere in the 70's, that should give you enough time to receive and shoot your D800 as well as preorder a D900. Be well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads