Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions
Eduardo Lohmann
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
Please Help! Vivitar Lens Mount...(??)
Apr 23, 2012

Hi,

I have a "Vivitar 50mm 1.7 MC" Lens, just like this one:

http://www . pentaxforums .com forums/sold-items/39183-sale-sold-vivitar-50mm-f-1-7-pentax-k-mount.html (DPreview is blocking the URL!!!)

that came on a V3000s. According to this site

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_V3000

The mount is Pentax PK. Or so it should be....

OK. I bought a "PK to Nex" adapter... and... I can't get it to focus!

It seems the registration distance is not right. I tried "freelensing" and thought I could find focus.

this is the adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120706297857?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3692.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D120706297857%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Please, any help? perhaps the mount is NOT PK???
Thanks!!!

Eduardo Lohmann's gear list:Eduardo Lohmann's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +7 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,013Gear list
Like?
Re: Please Help! Vivitar Lens Mount...(??)
In reply to Eduardo Lohmann, Apr 23, 2012

You might try a MC/MD adapter for Minolta to NEX E-mount. Vivitar had a lot of lenses to suit different cameras, including Minolta.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Eduardo Lohmann
Like?
In reply to captura, Apr 23, 2012

Thanks!

Yeah!! I have also bought a minolta to NEX adapter.... but it still is on its slow waaaaaaayyyy to Brazil!!!

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +7 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,013Gear list
Like?

You must have the proper adapter in order for this to work. It must be PK or the Minolta or something else. But only one of these. Try taking your Vivitar lens to a shop that has old cameras, like a pawnshop, and see which camera body fits your Vivitar lens. Or alternatively, try putting some of the identifying information, such as the serial #, into a search engine.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
flint-hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215
Like?

The V3000s is K mount, as you said Have you actually seen it mounted on that camera?

The V3000s is in fact a K-mount variant of the Yashica FX-3 which had a Contax/Yashica mount. That might be another possibility.

A good link for figuring out mounts of orphan lenses is this one:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html

NEX-5N gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/flint-hill/sets/72157628112096830/

wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,344
Like?

OK. I bought a "PK to Nex" adapter... and... I can't get it to focus!

By this statement I assume that it seems to be attaching correctly? For many mounts if you have the wrong mount the mechanical connection won't work in some obvious way. I assume that this is working mechanically without any hint of a problem mechanically, since you don't mention any.

It seems the registration distance is not right.

If this were the case you will usually have a distance range in which it can focus and a range in which it will not focus, for example it won't focus to infinity, or it is possible to focus "beyond infinity". For it to not focus at all would suggest to me that the flange to mount distance is so far off that at no distance is it in focus. This possible of course, but seems unlikely to me.

I would think it unlikely that a) the lens is fine b) it mounts solidly and seemingly properly, and c) it won't focus anywhere in its range. If b) and c) are truen, this leads me to question a). Do you know that the lens operates properly on the camera it came off of?, that it doesn't have a dislodged element, for example.

Note that I am not certain of the above, but this is my suspicion.

I wouldn't buy another mount until I knew the answer to a) and had a good idea about what the mount really is. You could buy a lot of mounts in a random search.

If you google "rick_oleson lensmount compatibility" you will find a page of lens mount photos and information that may be of some help, although great care is needed to make positive ID in some cases.

Eduardo Lohmann
Like?
In reply to wb2trf, Apr 23, 2012

Thanks for all the input.

looking at the suggested site, it definitely looks like PK mount

Well, in fact

a) the lens seems "loose"; it produces a "rattle" sound whenn shaken. Shame on me for not mentioning it....

b) It appears to mount well... tho' I find it a little hard to fit

c) it doesnt focust at all

so... it seems I have a dislodged element... right..?

wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,344
Like?
In reply to Eduardo Lohmann, Apr 24, 2012

Mounts well a little hard -- that's normal
Looks like PK and fits it -- probably is PK

Lens has rattle (when dismounted I assume) -- that's probably the problem.

Unless you know from use on the vivitar camera that it is focusing ok there, I would assume the lens is bad.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads