Is this good enough from E-M5 and Pana 25mm?

Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,602Gear list
Like?
Is this good enough from E-M5 and Pana 25mm?
Apr 23, 2012

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
berni29
Senior MemberPosts: 1,343Gear list
Like?
Re: Is this good enough from E-M5 and Pana 25mm?
In reply to photo perzon, Apr 23, 2012

Hi

I think the second one is in sharper focus. Perhaps you could have done better with the composition. A camera is there to help you capture what you are seeing, or want to see.

The OMD seems like a very capable camera. I would love one.

-- hide signature --

Berni29

GH1 + Pana 20mm & 14-54 Mk1 (prev E30, E510, E1)

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photo perzon
Like?
In reply to berni29, Apr 23, 2012

the necklace

Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
photo perzon
Like?
how about this portrait with the 45mm

Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
Re: how about this portrait with the 45mm

Photo Person, any chance of full size images, they dont look as good as I would of expected that combo to do? what do you think?

snapper1967
Contributing MemberPosts: 673
Like?

Now this one is stunning. I especially like the flowers growing out of her shoulder. Thanks for sharing.

photo perzon wrote:

-- hide signature --

Just enjoy what you do.

photo perzon
Like?
full size
In reply to Adventsam, Apr 23, 2012

handheld ooc
set on P, original camera settings
Noise reduct. Off
Noise Filter Standard

Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,182Gear list
Like?
No way to tell from small posted images.

Your images cannot be viewed by us in full size. Small images unfortunately say very little in terms of image quality. (They could be used to show colors and framing, but not sharpness or noise.)

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the 450D, the Canon G6 and the Fuji F200.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/ .

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?

I think you are being compromised by the DoF.

If you want to take a stylish photo, by all means zap it wide open (but then decide what you want sharp - who's the subject here exactly?). If you want to judge the camera, stop it down so you actually have some things in focus!
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

photo perzon
Like?
My thoughts

The 25mm and the 45mm are not at their sharpest at f1.8. They are sharp enough for candids. Those two lenses are probably at their best at f4.

That was indirect indoor light, with reflections and distracting hot spots. Hanheld while using the LCD.

I am not a photographer, I think they could be sharper but they should be good enough for quick casual pictures.

NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,233Gear list
Like?
Re: My thoughts

photo perzon wrote:

The 25mm and the 45mm are not at their sharpest at f1.8. They are sharp enough for candids. Those two lenses are probably at their best at f4.

That was indirect indoor light, with reflections and distracting hot spots. Hanheld while using the LCD.

I am not a photographer, I think they could be sharper but they should be good enough for quick casual pictures.

I agree with some of the earlier posters' comments that it's very hard to tell from the small photo sizes whether your kit is performing as it should. I also agree with their comments about your composition skills. You might find that you get better results if you think carefully about the subject of your photograph and what aspect of the subject you want to capture. This applies especially to the cat + woman photos. It's hard to tell what you were trying to achieve with those shots. The head-and-shoulders portrait is let down by the background, among other things. I think if you moved closer you would have gotten a better shot.

It's true that the 45 is not at its sharpest at f1.8, but it's still pretty damn sharp. I certainly can't complain about the sharpness of the eyes in this pic, which I shot at f1.8 in a darkened hall:

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
mfj197
Contributing MemberPosts: 525
Like?
In reply to NZ Scott, Apr 23, 2012

NZ Scott wrote:

It's true that the 45 is not at its sharpest at f1.8, but it's still pretty damn sharp. I certainly can't complain about the sharpness of the eyes in this pic, which I shot at f1.8 in a darkened hall:

Lovely shot. And you're so right - the 45 is very sharp even at f1.8.

The difficulty is in getting the right thing in focus when the DOF is so narrow!

Michael

Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,380
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

That's absolutely not true. I routinely use both wide open and they really shine. Don't give up on them !

The real problem is that you are relying too much on the equipment, which although expensive does not fill in the gaps of lacking vision, technique, PP skills, etc.

First things first, you need to compose your shot, decide what is your real subject, and use the proper settings on the camera. Are you using a Portrait scene mode ? If do get outta there, fast ! I'd bet the cam has Portrait selected for color mode as well, hence the yellow, pasty and totally unfaithful skintones on the lady, and heavy cast on the overall picture.

I'd start in Auto WB, aperture mode, either wide open or stopped down just one notch if it makes you feel better. Also get in 3:2 mode and use a simple rule of third for composition. Get those mid tones brighter, your shots are under exposed and mushy. Better get a few clipped highlights in unimportant areas of the pictures, but have a well exposed subject. Then try a little post processing to fine tune the results. L

I checked your galllery and the one good shot I think deserves attention is the same lady laughing and feeding a horse (or donkey, whatever...).
I'd crop and tweak this one a bit.

You really need to stop collecting expensive cameras and think about using them well, also try to look at a lot of pictures, find a style you like and try to emulate it to motivate you to progress.

Hope this helps, Marla.

snapper1967
Contributing MemberPosts: 673
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

If you are not a photographer you may want to sell your camera and do something else?

-- hide signature --

Just enjoy what you do.

greg57
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?
In reply to snapper1967, Apr 23, 2012

snapper1967 wrote:

Now this one is stunning. I especially like the flowers growing out of her shoulder. Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Gregory Dziedzic

greg57's gear list:greg57's gear list
Pentax K-5
greg57
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?

One more thing about the 45mm. It's a portrait lens. You shouldn't fear getting close to your subject. There it looks like you walked back... maybe up to 5 metres... in order to frame nearly half of her body. If it's what you wanted to do then you should have used the 25mm.

photo perzon wrote:

-- hide signature --

Gregory Dziedzic

greg57's gear list:greg57's gear list
Pentax K-5
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,360Gear list
Like?
In reply to mfj197, Apr 23, 2012

Your child photo is beautiful.

mfj197 wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

Lovely shot. And you're so right - the 45 is very sharp even at f1.8.

The difficulty is in getting the right thing in focus when the DOF is so narrow!

Michael

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?

In all honestly, these pictures (and the aquarium shots, and most of the shots in your gallery) look worse that what I would expect to see out of an average 5-year-old medium range point and shoot digicam on full auto mode.

You're doing yourself a disservice. If you want to take snapshots, buy a snapshot camera. If you insist on buying an expensive camera (or 20 expensive cameras) to take snapshots with, but you refuse to take the time to learn how to use it, leave it on full auto mode at all times - it's practically guaranteed to deliver better results than your clueless guesses.

Now, if you're interested in learning about photography, put your nice cameras and lenses in a safe. Buy yourself an entry level DSLR kit and start shooting in manual mode only for at least a year. Read, research, take lots of pictures (not just of your wife or seaworld), develop your skills, technical understanding and eye for composition. Then maybe, just maybe, after a year, you'll have earned the right to push the shutter button on one of your more expensive cameras.

Good luck. If you decide photography isn't for you, and you need a hobby, I suggest selling your expensive collection of cameras, donating the proceeds to the charity of your choice, then signing up to volunteer for them - help someone out with your free time and extra cash, rather than blowing both and making yourself look like a nouveau riche maroon with more dollars than sense or class.

Your photography is uninspired, underwhelming and technically in the dumps. It seems you've taken hundreds of portraits of your wife with a variety of expensive cameras and lenses over the years, and I see no sign of improvement over that time, so I, personally, think you should start looking for another hobby.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,125
Like?
Well said Marla!
In reply to Marla2008, Apr 23, 2012

This is probably the most helpful response to one of his threads I've ever read. Kudos to you being so constructive. You are a credit to theses forums!

Marla2008 wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

That's absolutely not true. I routinely use both wide open and they really shine. Don't give up on them !

The real problem is that you are relying too much on the equipment, which although expensive does not fill in the gaps of lacking vision, technique, PP skills, etc.

First things first, you need to compose your shot, decide what is your real subject, and use the proper settings on the camera. Are you using a Portrait scene mode ? If do get outta there, fast ! I'd bet the cam has Portrait selected for color mode as well, hence the yellow, pasty and totally unfaithful skintones on the lady, and heavy cast on the overall picture.

I'd start in Auto WB, aperture mode, either wide open or stopped down just one notch if it makes you feel better. Also get in 3:2 mode and use a simple rule of third for composition. Get those mid tones brighter, your shots are under exposed and mushy. Better get a few clipped highlights in unimportant areas of the pictures, but have a well exposed subject. Then try a little post processing to fine tune the results. L

I checked your galllery and the one good shot I think deserves attention is the same lady laughing and feeding a horse (or donkey, whatever...).
I'd crop and tweak this one a bit.

You really need to stop collecting expensive cameras and think about using them well, also try to look at a lot of pictures, find a style you like and try to emulate it to motivate you to progress.

Hope this helps, Marla.

HornOUBet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?
In reply to texinwien, Apr 23, 2012

It does not matter what any of these people say.... if you enjoy what you do, then do it.... it IS OK to take snapshots for memory preservation.... some people even doubt that photography is art.... after all, the camera does most of the work....

-- hide signature --

Dwight
take a peek at the world I see at
http://picasaweb.google.com/dwightparker

HornOUBet's gear list:HornOUBet's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 550D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads