Where can you get printer profiles to use with 3rd party inks?

Started Apr 23, 2012 | Discussions
John Little
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?
Where can you get printer profiles to use with 3rd party inks?
Apr 23, 2012

I've been researching this forum, thinking about switching to OCP inks in my pro9000. The price of a colormunki is a real problem for me, but I've seen some references (can't find them now) to buying profiles. So I did a web search for "buy color profiles" and came up with a lot of nothing. So, is there a place to buy profiles for OCP inks and various papers? Seems like any place that would offer that would have to have access to an awful lot of papers!

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,624
Like?
Re: Where can you get printer profiles to use with 3rd party inks?
In reply to John Little, Apr 23, 2012

in the usual case, you have a custom profile made for yourself.

You print out a couple of sheets of 'patch targets' and send them to the company/person making the profile. They then do their thing and email you the profiles.

Average cost is $30-100 each

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,172
Like?

John Little wrote:

I've been researching this forum, thinking about switching to OCP inks in my pro9000. The price of a colormunki is a real problem for me, but I've seen some references (can't find them now) to buying profiles. So I did a web search for "buy color profiles" and came up with a lot of nothing. So, is there a place to buy profiles for OCP inks and various papers? Seems like any place that would offer that would have to have access to an awful lot of papers!

If you want custom profiles for your printer and non-OEM inks, then you would have to produce target swatches for each paper you want to use (usually two A4 or two US letter sized sheets), on your printer with your inks and mail them off.

Eric Chen was the last of the inexpensive quality profile builders, but he is no longer doing this, as of the end of this month. Even then it was $30 for each profile. You can probably find a few online profile suppliers for $60-100 each.

The few calibration instrument and software suppliers were ‘induced/seduced’ by larger companies into license agreements that prevent the production of profiles for sale to third parties, with the exception of multi US$1k packages.

The ColorMunki, while not the most exacting of systems, is very inexpensive in comparison, unless you work with only two or three papers.

Try searching ‘custom ICC printer profiles $’. And note Cathy is no longer in business and Michael Gordon only does Epson.

Brian A

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,435
Like?
Try Bobmert

http://www.utahsnapshot.com/utahsnapshot.com/Inkjet_Profiles.html

He posts here sometimes. He has the $5K Xrite Isis equipment and does an expert job on generating profiles.

He ran me a few when I started getting into using OCP inks.

What papers do you want to use with your PRO9000 and OCP inks?

Bob P.

John Little
Like?
Re: Try Bobmert
In reply to Petruska, Apr 23, 2012

Petruska wrote:

http://www.utahsnapshot.com/utahsnapshot.com/Inkjet_Profiles.html

Thanks for the link.

What papers do you want to use with your PRO9000 and OCP inks?

Mostly I use Canon Pro Platinum and Ilford Galerie smooth pearl; most of what I do is with those two. I also have RedRiver polarmatte (a lot of it) and hahnemuhle Monet canvas and Inkpress Glossy Canvas.

GMack
Senior MemberPosts: 2,928
Like?

If you have a flatbed scanner someplace, you can do it cheaper and probably better than using a Colormunki as you already have a flatbed color scanner to put to use. You need a couple of programs: Vuescan Pro ($80) and Profile Prism ($80 by the maker of Qimage Ultimate which one should have as a primary printer control software to help avoid mistakes in profiles, another $80 or so.).

Print out their 9000 color matrix target (Yes. It analyzes all 9000 color targets.) with Manual Color Control set to OFF. Allow a day to dry.

The you use Vuescan to scan the Profile Prism test target in RAW mode with the above 9000 step matrix print above beneath it on the flatbed. Right click somewhere on the gray border of the included IT8 Test Target to set the white balance on preview scanned, then do the full RAW scan of it and your 9000 color matrix above.

Use Profile Prism to set up the two images and read them (set some little red corners on the two above) and let it do the curve fitting. Save it as whatever profile you like (like Ilford Luster, etc.). Find that file in Profile Prism (default storage location) right click on it and Install profile. That's it. Takes a lot less time to do than explain. Qimage Ultimate now can use that profile and can find it and use it and ignore all the printer stuff in CS5 or your printing software where stuff can get into double-profiles and create a big color error mess.

I use some framing "Action" in Photoshop CS5 called "Frameshop 0.9" found on this site by Joe. It's free, and the 3D frames it uses has a nifty gray border that fades out from the print and makes it easy to see if your profile is getting a color shift in the gray fade of the border. Sometimes it drifts on an ink or paper change and you need to redo it. If it's serious stuff, I'll do another profile then.

My refill on the Canon is to reset the carts once empty with a resetter until it glows solid red (about 5 seconds), then inject the ink in a very small drilled hole in the top and then seal it with a hot glue gun (a $3 item from some art/fabric shop).

Mack

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,435
Like?
John, today is your lucky day.....

I have generated custom ICC profiles in the past for the PRO9000 using OCP inks for the following papers Platinum and RR Polar Matte. I sent these profiles to you using your normal email address.

Bob P.

John Little
Like?
In reply to GMack, Apr 23, 2012

Thanks a lot for all the info guys. I appreciate that a lot.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads