So if you were doing street shooting, DA 40mm Ltd or DA 35mm Ltd?

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 31,921Gear list
Like?
So if you were doing street shooting, DA 40mm Ltd or DA 35mm Ltd?
Apr 22, 2012

And why?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

mike703
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,760
Like?
Re: So if you were doing street shooting, DA 40mm Ltd or DA 35mm Ltd?
In reply to Raist3d, Apr 22, 2012

The DA40 is both smaller (a DSLR with a pancake lens on it looks like a compact rather than a 'serious' camera) and - so I have read - is fractionally faster to AF at normal street-shooting distances because of the shorter focus throw. Having said that I went for the DA35 over the 40 as the macro capability (for me) more than makes up for other two issues which are fairly small. I'm sure you could get comparably good results with either.

Best wishes
--
Mike
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/mikeward

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gary Martin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,916Gear list
Like?

The DA40 will AF much more quickly and reliably than the DA35 Ltd (I own both). Plus the DA40 is much lighter, so it seems like a much better choice for street photography. I only use the DA35 when optical quality or closer focusing is crucial - although the DA40 is a very good lens, my DA35 is on a whole other level.

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +3 more
Jack Simpson
Forum ProPosts: 10,752Gear list
Like?
DA 35mm Ltd? -- mpre versatile and ...

.... cause I think I recommended it yesterday

Cheers,

Jack
--
STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0

( UPDATED NOV 16th )MY BLOG.... http://www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Pentax Q7
DaveJC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,747Gear list
Like?
Re: DA 35mm Ltd? -- mpre versatile and ...
In reply to Jack Simpson, Apr 22, 2012

21, 43 and 77 as they are what I own. Nice trio in a belly pack.
--
DaveJC

DaveJC's gear list:DaveJC's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1
Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,965Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gary Martin, Apr 22, 2012

I have the DA 35 2.8 ltd, which I have used quite alot for street. It's unfortunetly in need of repair. I guess I used it to death! I think it's a thinking mans lens the DA 35 it's got this huge focus throw, and I admit it this makes it not ideal for AF street candids. Though if you turn AF off and use prefocus it's as good as it gets.

The FOV of the 35mm for street here in Copenhagen is not always ideal there can be many people on the street cramped, close quarters so I'm constantly cutting of feet or the tops of head, it's just a tad tight for my type of crowded streets here. So the DA 40 would be even worse at this.

On the other hand I've been using an Old K 55mm 1.8 and this gets you into a different usage FOV altogether than the DA 35, here it's more the head and shoulders the intimate type of frame where the facial expressions, are everything. Here the 40mm might be getting into this head and shoulder of usage area. The only thing here that you might miss out on is the Bokeh of the DA 40 ltd is perhaps not as interesting as the older K 55 1.8. I don't have the DA 40 though. I would say think up close and personal, if it's on a crowed street, like a mild telephoto, I think if used in this way it could be an interesting and effective tool.

Image quality on the 40mm is reputed to be more than just good. I'm actually rather tempted by the lens too.

The DA 15, DA 21-> (soon my newest addition) DA 40 and DA 70 will be my super lightweight kit for everyday and travel. I haven't got the DA 40 yet but I 'm now anonncing my intention of getting this lens at one point..

Camera bag? Not needed!, a coat with roomy inside pockets is enough plus a nice strap on the camera and you are all set..Gold card wouldn't hurt either.. or is it black now..

Brent
--
Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,324Gear list
Like?
In reply to DaveJC, Apr 22, 2012

DaveJC wrote:

21, 43 and 77 as they are what I own. Nice trio in a belly pack.

That's the trio that i usually take with me.
I also have the 31.
For street, I'd pick the 21 if i could only take 1 lens.
Nightime I'd take the 31.

-- hide signature --

DaveJC

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Katsura
Contributing MemberPosts: 581
Like?
35mm

Personal choice, I tend to shoot on the wider side. Indeed 35 is already a little restricted for me (again, personally)

Plakanina
Contributing MemberPosts: 663Gear list
Like?
In reply to Raist3d, Apr 23, 2012

40 is to long and even the 35 is starting to creep on the long side of normal. 24 pancake would be ideal but it does not exist although it should. The 21mm would be the choice if you have no problem getting in close with you subject. I always think using longer lenses for street reportage is because one is shy!

Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Steve1307
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?

Both are a little long for that "look" that makes the viewer feel like they're being drawn into the scene rather than just looking at it.

DA21 or 24mm to perhaps 28mm works better for that but you have to have the stones to get in close as others have said.

DA35 might work in downtown LA where there might be more space to play with but too long for tighter city areas. It does focus pretty quickly at normal shooting distances and its only at macro distances where the focus throw is longer.
Very versartile little lens.

DA40 focuses faster i guess but it is also too long IMO. ( I don't actually have the 40 but i think 43 is waay too long).

Using a DA70 is a bit pervy, but the good thing is since it is small it doesn't look pervy from the outside when your doing it. .

I guess its OK for head shots of pretty girls (or boys if you like) but it's not really street.

I have taken to the city streets with a DA15 before but while i'm sure some people could use it effectively for local city wildlife, I couldn't. Great for city buildings though.
There is a huge difference between 15mm and 21mm.

Steve1307's gear list:Steve1307's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +13 more
JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?

Get the XS 40 with the K 01. It is only $150 extra. I do have the FA35/2. It is slightly better than the 40 but about 3 - 4 times as long.
--
Variance is Evil!

Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,038Gear list
Like?
In reply to miles green, Apr 23, 2012

miles green wrote:

For street, I'd pick the 21 if i could only take 1 lens.

+1...

40mm and above is really too long for general street photography IMO.

The 21 is usually the only lens I take on a street session.
--
Mike
http://flickr.com/rc-soar

Plakanina
Like?
In reply to Steve1307, Apr 23, 2012

Steve1307 wrote:

Both are a little long for that "look" that makes the viewer feel like they're being drawn into the scene rather than just looking at it.

DA21 or 24mm to perhaps 28mm works better for that but you have to have the stones to get in close as others have said.

DA35 might work in downtown LA where there might be more space to play with but too long for tighter city areas. It does focus pretty quickly at normal shooting distances and its only at macro distances where the focus throw is longer.
Very versartile little lens.

DA40 focuses faster i guess but it is also too long IMO. ( I don't actually have the 40 but i think 43 is waay too long).

Using a DA70 is a bit pervy, but the good thing is since it is small it doesn't look pervy from the outside when your doing it. .

I guess its OK for head shots of pretty girls (or boys if you like) but it's not really street.

I have taken to the city streets with a DA15 before but while i'm sure some people could use it effectively for local city wildlife, I couldn't. Great for city buildings though.
There is a huge difference between 15mm and 21mm.

Ditto. great reply. Pentax is missing that classic 35mm in the way of a 24mm ltd

Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,038Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve1307, Apr 23, 2012

Steve1307 wrote:

That's a bit of a generalisation. There is some great street work using long lenses - it just depends on how it's done...

Take a look at Michael Ade ('from-a2b'). A lot of his work involves candid shots of complete strangers, using a long lens and careful DoF control.

http://from-a2b.co.uk/?p=144

-- hide signature --
Steve1307
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?
In reply to Model Mike, Apr 23, 2012

Model Mike wrote:

Steve1307 wrote:

That's a bit of a generalisation. There is some great street work using long lenses - it just depends on how it's done...

Take a look at Michael Ade ('from-a2b'). A lot of his work involves candid shots of complete strangers, using a long lens and careful DoF control.

Actually Mike, you are absolutely right.

Perhaps what i should have said that using a longer lens gives a different "genre" of street photography if I can call it that, more one of candid portraiture.

This does bring to mind a couple of ebooks i've read by a Swiss guy named Thomas Leutard who used an 85mm (with film) and with a 50mm APS-C (80mm equiv) and aslo a M4/3 GF1 w/ 20mm (40mm equiv).

http://www.85mm.ch/Book/Books.html

There is now a 3rd book (downloading now) which coincidentally appears to be street portraits with a slight longer than normal lens.

By the way these e-books are free to download straight from his site.

Steve1307's gear list:Steve1307's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +13 more
Boris
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,254Gear list
Like?

I do mostly street portraiture using a K5 and 77f1.8.
Boris

Boris's gear list:Boris's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II +40 more
Marc Sabatella
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,677
Like?
In reply to mike703, Apr 23, 2012

mike703 wrote:

The DA40 is both smaller (a DSLR with a pancake lens on it looks like a compact rather than a 'serious' camera) and - so I have read - is fractionally faster to AF at normal street-shooting distances because of the shorter focus throw.

Fractionally faster? Have you ever comparedt hem? I'd call the difference pretty striking except in the cases where the DA35 is already near its focus point and it doesn't decide to hunt to be sure.

Interesting that some say the DA40 is too long for "street shooting". I guess we all have different ideas of what that term means. If you mean, pictures of the street and the buildings along it, sure, wider helps - and 35mm won't be wide enough either. But many of us associate that term with candids, and I'd say 40mm isn't long enough unless you know the poeple you are shooting or don't mind making yourself obvious. DA70 is the ideal lens for this type of shooting in my opinion.

fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 823Gear list
Like?

Had a DA35 f2.4 before and I'm now using a DA40 ltd.

Not really the best samples of street photography but the FL feels just right

-- hide signature --

It's not about the tool, its how you use it

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Plakanina
Like?

Model Mike wrote:

Steve1307 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike

They look kind of pervy to me! Paparazzied. Street photography should at least convey the environment a person is in. Now candid portraits are a different subject that these may fall into.

http://flickr.com/rc-soar

il_alexk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,935Gear list
Like?
The longer the better

Model Mike wrote:

I use Tammy 70-200 for most of my street work. Being undetected is the key for taking photos of people when they are natural and not posing.

Taken from ~ 10 meters:

Taken from ~ 20 meters

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads