Training A77 autofocus technique

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,070Gear list
Like?
Training A77 autofocus technique
Apr 22, 2012

A new beautiful day with our teenagers playing soccer and time to refresh my response and autofocus technique before the BIF season.

The A77 is a pleasure to use for such kind of photography, with a lot of keepers. For the first round I used senter group autofocus and for the last spot autofocus, which works even better when the field is cluttered with players. The lens was my Sony G 70-200 mm f:2.8. Exposure was 1/1000 to 1/1500 sec and aperture from f:4 to f:5.6 (manual settings). The frame rate was set to 8 fps.

Here are some:

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
linhn
Regular MemberPosts: 332
Like?
Re: Training A77 autofocus technique
In reply to Nordstjernen, Apr 22, 2012

These look great to me. A lot of good action. I also find the a77 focusing to be very fast and accurate/intelligent. Looking forward to your BIFs for sure.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
splashy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,326Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nordstjernen, Apr 22, 2012

Very nice pictures, Sony raised the level of amateur photography.
This quality is unbelievable.

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +1 more
TangoMan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,167
Like?
In reply to Nordstjernen, Dec 14, 2012

Seems like a nice combination for that type of photography.

One thing looks weird to me though. Your subjects are lighted from all around (have very little shadow), as if it was a heavily overcast day, yet their hair is rim lighted, as if by a beautiful sun. So, is it sunny or overcast? The picture can't make up its mind, ha ha.

To me, beautiful sun = deep shadows. Your images definitely look like, huh... that way too much shadow lifting was applied for my taste.

Molan
Contributing MemberPosts: 502Gear list
Like?

I feel A77 has very satisfactory autofocus, and I like the 12 FPS mode for fast moving situation like a football match.

Molan's gear list:Molan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +8 more
philbot
Contributing MemberPosts: 843
Like?

Very nice Nord,

I really would love a 70-200G and even a 70-400G Sony lenses, I've borrowed both and on the A77, they just make the AF feel awesome..

Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to TangoMan, Dec 14, 2012

TangoMan wrote:

Seems like a nice combination for that type of photography.

One thing looks weird to me though. Your subjects are lighted from all around (have very little shadow), as if it was a heavily overcast day, yet their hair is rim lighted, as if by a beautiful sun. So, is it sunny or overcast? The picture can't make up its mind, ha ha.

To me, beautiful sun = deep shadows. Your images definitely look like, huh... that way too much shadow lifting was applied for my taste.

Not much shadow lifting, just exposed for the shadows (manual exposure)!

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads