Hoow do you earn a crust

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions
RossAndrew
Senior MemberPosts: 2,720
Like?
Hoow do you earn a crust
Apr 22, 2012

After seeing all this brain power in these forums with all its intense debating, I was wondering, what do all you people do for a crust? ( earn a living ).
So I would love to hear from people like.
abilam
collett
Itsa dry heat
gibigb
BRJR
Bill Randle
Princess Laya
yanisha
joel D

The list goes on, to many to put down, if your name is not there please put it in.
So enlighten me please?

What do you do for a crust?

Don_D
Forum ProPosts: 11,569Gear list
Like?
Re: Hoow do you earn a crust
In reply to RossAndrew, Apr 22, 2012

RossAndrew wrote:

The list goes on, to many to put down, if your name is not there please put it in.
So enlighten me please?

I was an electronics design engineer and manager for thirty two years with a large corporation, retired from that and got my CFP and did six years of financial planning, I've been retired full time for twelve years.
--
Don
http://www.pbase.com/dond

Don_D's gear list:Don_D's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YoHahnMD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,954
Like?
Re: How do you earn a crust...
In reply to RossAndrew, Apr 22, 2012

Having spent the first 20 years of my adult life making a living behind the camera, I also owned and operated a photo lab, managed a commercial photo lab, worked in a camera repair facility, two years at a camera rental facility, took a little over a year off from the photo biz and was an office manager at a glass shop, and now sell cameras in a large camera store!

So basically I've been in the photo business one way or another since I got out of high school!

Oh . . . and I did operate a successful DJ business along the way as well (that was my hobby turned business).

I'll be 52 in a couple of months.

-- hide signature --

Vote NoBama for Ex-President in 2012

Bill Randall
Forum ProPosts: 13,154Gear list
Like?
Re: How do you earn a crust
In reply to RossAndrew, Apr 24, 2012

Worked in the aerospace industry for 36 years. Took early retirement in 2002.
My wife was a high school math teacher for 35 years and she too retired in 2002.
Savings was always a high priority with us, but not our only priority.

Bill Randall's gear list:Bill Randall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom Nikon D200 Nikon D5200
Brian
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,770
Like?

Mechanical Engineer in the Auto Industry. Have designed stuff for almost all the major OEMs in the world. So it is likely that you own something I designed. Unfortunately what I design is not that glamorous. Still have many years till retirement.

-- hide signature --

Brian

RossAndrew
Like?
Re: How do you earn a crust...
In reply to YoHahnMD, Apr 24, 2012

YoHahnMD wrote:

Having spent the first 20 years of my adult life making a living behind the camera,

Have seen your comments many a time on posts, also have picked some tips of yours on the way.

Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
I'm a celebrity

I can't say who i am or what i do, my lawyers tell me.
BTW Ross, its 'Ubilam'.

RossAndrew wrote:

After seeing all this brain power in these forums with all its intense debating, I was wondering, what do all you people do for a crust? ( earn a living ).
abilam
collett
Itsa dry heat
gibigb
BRJR
Bill Randle
Princess Laya
yanisha
joel D

So enlighten me please?

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 7,833Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm a celebrity -- so by defnition, you do nothing productive.
In reply to Ubilam, Apr 24, 2012

Figures.

Ubilam wrote:

I can't say who i am or what i do, my lawyers tell me.
BTW Ross, its 'Ubilam'.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Paljas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,331
Like?

RossAndrew wrote:

abilam
collett
Itsa dry heat
gibigb
BRJR
Bill Randle
Princess Laya
yanisha
joel D

So enlighten me please?

My wife works. She is a teacher of young children. She is very good at this.

I don't really like working. I prefer enjoying myself and resting. Mostly I work very hard at consulting for successful businesses and persuading them to happily pay for my efforts.

I also give valuable advice to my adult daughters in the hope that they will look after me.(My plan for future crusts)

Otherwise I give free advice to anyone who cares to ask as well as all US Citizens

-- hide signature --

Observing dreaming seeking

NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 2,967Gear list
Like?
Orchardist / Beekeeper / Journalist / Writer / Teacher / Consultant
In reply to RossAndrew, Apr 26, 2012

1) When I was in my teens I worked on a kiwifruit orchard for three years.

2) Then I went to university and studied English/Politics/Philosophy/Psychology. I worked as a beekeeper to pay for my fees / beer.

3) Then I went to Journalism school for a year, and after that I worked for 8 years as a journalist / news reporter. I was 18 months on the Waikato Times, then 6 years on the New Zealand Herald (NZ's biggest newspaper), then I was Chief Reporter at the Bay of Plenty Times for a year.

4) In 2005 I quit being a journalist and went on an extended world tour. I'm still on the world tour. I initially survived by teaching English (was based in Hungary, South Korea and Turkey). Now that I have scrambled a few qualifications together, I am an ...

5) ... education consultant contracted to the Malaysian Ministry of Education. My job is to "mentor" English teachers in rural areas. I get paid a lot of money to do not very much, which allows me to ...

6) ... write a novel, which I've nearly finished. In fact, I hope to finish it next week. Then I'll look for a publisher.

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +8 more
carl english
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,439Gear list
Like?
Become a Baker!!
In reply to NZ Scott, Apr 26, 2012

plenty of crust! an occupation for well BREAD folk!!

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
KEVZPHOTOS
Forum ProPosts: 16,181
Like?

RossAndrew wrote:

Two sources...

Rental income.
Investment income.

KEV

"It is a small gesture, but one that can be very effective - especially in a large crowd. So fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Benjamin Franklin 'The Dream' 1751)

http://kvincentphotography.ca/stackedimages
http://kvincentphotography.ca/designerflorals
http://kvincentphotography.ca/macro

RossAndrew
Like?

Thanks all for responding.

I guess that I should state my credentials, I work for the CIA and am watching all of you. ( JUST KIDDING ) Most of my working life spent driving heavy transport into the north west of Western Australia for the cattle and mining industries. Mild hart attack about 10 years ago so retired, am now bringing up our 16 year daughter, she has 1year of school left and then is doing IT at uni some where. Wife works for large Australian exporter, travels all over world so no need for me to work.

I like the never ending banter that goes on here and thought I would put some faces to it. Thanks again.

Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,144Gear list
Like?
Retired

And I suspect that many of the folks who post frequently are retired too. Since those who have jobs simply don't have the leisure time to make 200 posts a week. (Unless they are unionized workers, like Chato !

I retired in 2004 at age 55. I was able to do this due to careful planning, sound investing, and having a healthy IRA account, despite raising five children.

My last job was working as a Production Engineer in a brewery. Prior to that I worked as a Shift Superintendent, Cost Accountant, Warehouse Manager, and Distribution Supervisor.
--
Marty
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/marty4650/sets/72157606210120132
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marty4650/sets/72157606210120132/show/
my blog: http://marty4650.blogspot.com/
Olympus E-30
Olympus E-P1
Sony SLT-A55

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus E-30 Sony SLT-A55 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +13 more
KEVZPHOTOS
Forum ProPosts: 16,181
Like?
Re: Retired
In reply to Marty4650, Apr 26, 2012

Marty4650 wrote:

And I suspect that many of the folks who post frequently are retired too. Since those who have jobs simply don't have the leisure time to make 200 posts a week. (Unless they are unionized workers, like Chato

I've only made 51 posts this week (so far)...perhaps I'm slipping in the retired stakes - eh?

I think I need to eat more hummus...

KEV

"It is a small gesture, but one that can be very effective - especially in a large crowd. So fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Benjamin Franklin 'The Dream' 1751)

http://kvincentphotography.ca/stackedimages
http://kvincentphotography.ca/designerflorals
http://kvincentphotography.ca/macro

Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
Re: I'm a celebrity -- so by defnition, you do nothing productive.
In reply to Hen3ry, May 18, 2012

Hen3ry wrote:

Figures.

Ouch!
Papua New Guinea dissed me.

I see that pigs are important there.

http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Bill Force
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,607
Like?
In reply to RossAndrew, May 18, 2012

Before I tried to retire in Colombia, S.A. I was the Pres. CEO of a NASDAQ traded company working in the energy field, oil, gas and electric generation. I moved to Colombia 12 years ago with the intent of retiring outright but after being bored to death for several years I established 2 difference companies, one producing Stevia concentrated sweetener and the other company recovering waste energy from natural gas "flaring" in the oil fields (my international patents I developed in 1984 in the USA).

We take the wasted flare gas and turn it into electricity, it also reduces airborne emissions.
--

' You don't have to have the best of everything to get the best out of what you do have'.

Chato
Forum ProPosts: 42,769Gear list
Like?
Marty knows what I do for a living
In reply to KEVZPHOTOS, May 19, 2012

KEVZPHOTOS wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

And I suspect that many of the folks who post frequently are retired too. Since those who have jobs simply don't have the leisure time to make 200 posts a week. (Unless they are unionized workers, like Chato

I've only made 51 posts this week (so far)...perhaps I'm slipping in the retired stakes - eh?

I think I need to eat more hummus...

I exploit the dog. I feed him well, and I sell the byproducts of his eating to tourists in the East Village. Depending on what he eats, I claim it's from Tibet or Morocco. I am very honest about this, saying, "Yo homeboy, you wanna buy some good sht?"

There are rarely repercusions from this, as they "are" tourists. And the few times there ARE repercussions, well, the dog IS 120 pounds.

Dave

-- hide signature --

"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

Chato
Forum ProPosts: 42,769Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bill Force, May 19, 2012

Bill Force wrote:

Before I tried to retire in Colombia, S.A. I was the Pres. CEO of a NASDAQ traded company working in the energy field, oil, gas and electric generation.

Paisan!

Dave
--
"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 8,251Gear list
Like?
what the f
In reply to RossAndrew, May 19, 2012

okay I was not named, but what the heck

After High School I went to 2 years of junior college and then 1 year at Arizona State. Money got tight so I dropped out and went to work as an industrial electrician, I didnt have any training, but I was fortunate enough to find a non union shop that was willing to take me on and put me right to work setting large transformers and actually wiring entire buildings.

Construction was good and I made decent money, but it was very up and down and finally after about 4 years we hit a slump and I got laid off - - at this time I did a side job for a place called San Gabriel Sash & Door, I completely rewired their shop, but when I was done they didnt have the money to pay me so they offered to pay me in tools - I got a very nice table saw and a few other power tools so I decided to start making furniture for people I knew. I actually built all of the furnishings for two condos at Newport Beach and a few other items for some other people. At this time I was getting into writing programs for the Atari Computer - this was back before there were any IBM pc's and Atari and Apple were very new things. I got pretty good at it and when a company that my father was associated with got their first PC'c they hired me to be their computer dude.

That was 25 years ago last march and I am still with the same company - computer work has become a very small part of it now and most of my work is in the writing of the legal documents for qualified retirement plans and the actuarial calculations for defined benefit pension plans.

I am now the vice president of the corporation

whats really great is last march for my anniversary they gave me my NEX-7

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads