DigitalREV slams the E-M5

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions
msusic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,576
Like?
DigitalREV slams the E-M5
Apr 22, 2012

Latest YouTube video comparing it to Nex7 and Xpro1 is out.
Basically, they used 12-50 against primes at low light.

Kai concluded it is just a Pen in new dress and that Fuji is so amazing except when it comes to autofocus. :/

Previous video could be excused, but if they're officially calling our a comparison and doing it this way makes you wonder.....
--
Cheers,
Marin

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,380Gear list
Like?
Re: DigitalREV slams the E-M5
In reply to msusic, Apr 22, 2012

that must have been a painful (or maybe fun) video for him to make, he hates all of those brands.

msusic wrote:

Kai concluded it is just a Pen in new dress and that Fuji is so amazing except when it comes to autofocus. :/

Previous video could be excused, but if they're officially calling our a comparison and doing it this way makes you wonder.....
--
Cheers,
Marin

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
msusic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,576
Like?
Sensor size issue

Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRyQU6XCQt0

One thing that there always seems to be hanging over the (m)43rds is the dismissal with the sensor size.

No matter how good the lenses are or how vast it's lineup is compared to other cameras on the market, or the speed and accuracy of autofocus, cameras are constantly downplayed for their slightly smaller sensors like they've got the plague.

It's like saying "Oh, I'm sorry you couldn't get yourself a proper APS-C camera..."

This is even more ridiculous in the case of E-M5 which has got sensor on par with best APS and even better than some other current APS cameras.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Marin

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,296Gear list
Like?

msusic wrote:

Gee, do you think you'll ever recover?

How about posting the link?

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,079Gear list
Like?

finaly someone shows a comparision in real low light conditions of moving subjects.( i shoot dance schools,) and the fuji nailed detail and image quality, the problem you would only get one photo in focus ? from a full dance on stage. bugger ! 3200 is as high as i would go, shame no comparrision.

cheers don

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,296Gear list
Like?
Re: size issue

msusic wrote:

One thing that there always seems to be hanging over the (m)43rds is the dismissal with the sensor size.

No matter how good the lenses are or how vast it's lineup is compared to other cameras on the market, or the speed and accuracy of autofocus, cammeras are constantly downplayed for their slightly smaller sensors like they've got the plague.

It's like saying "Oh, I'm sorry you couldn't get yourself a proper APS-C camera..."

It's not just sensor size, but M4/3 camera size in general.

Don't you realize that we M4/3 users will never quite "measure up" to those macho dudes who carry their D3's and E1's with a wrist strap?

Yes, I've have observed such creatures in the wild.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
acahaya
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?

Where is the problem?

The AF was fast (and probably accurate although they did not mention) even with the kit lens.

They compared ISO 6400 images (no idea how they were processed) and to me the E-M5 did not look bad when compared with the NEX7. The Fuji is another beast and whoever expected E-M5 low lig t capabilities to be on par cannot be helped.

Kai obviously is not intested to learn more abot the E-M5 (VF, IBIS, handling of AF ;)) and draws a ridiculous conclusion.

So what, the only consequence to me is that i still like watching their videos because very often they are funny but Kai now has even less credibility than he had before.

Don't watch digitalrev videos if you expect to see and hear praise of mFt cameras.
--
http://www.acahaya.com

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Sensor size issue

msusic wrote:

This is even more ridiculous in the case of E-M5 which has got sensor on par with best APS and even better than some other current APS cameras.

I'm just as much a fan of m43s as anyone, but I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. Granted, the above DigitalRev wasn't the most serious review, but have you ever used seen the high ISO files from a Fuji X100, or did you watch the "noise test" of the above video? The Fuji files (X-Pro1, X100) are remarkably clean at high ISO.

The 16 mp LiveMOS sensor does very well at fairly high ISO, but it's not anywhere near what you get with the Fuji or K-5. Sorry to say.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,602Gear list
Like?
No, it's not on par with best APS-C.

msusic wrote:

Video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRyQU6XCQt0

No matter how good the lenses are or how vast it's lineup is compared to other cameras on the market, or the speed and accuracy of autofocus, cameras are constantly downplayed for their slightly smaller sensors like they've got the plague.

This is even more ridiculous in the case of E-M5 which has got sensor on par with best APS

No, it's not.

and even better than some other current APS cameras.

The real problem is the inferiority complex. 4/3rds sensor size wise has a a compromise. Traditionally the compromise overall in general terms is not huge. When the E-5 came out and used the old technology, Sony comes out with an advance that Nikon/Pentax/Sony use making a big difference.

The em5 from what I have been examining looks to put the gap at least in DR more or less how it has been in relation to APS-C traditionally.

Everything equal, APS C will have its advantages here. The question is for those electing 4/3rds, if the system is already at "good enough for them." This shouldn't mean that it is universally good enough for everyone like many espouse - that kind of black and white thinking often related to fanboyism.

If people simply accept the system for what it is, acknowledging that you are paying one compromise in the sensor, but you get the lenses designed for digital from the ground up, you get smaller lenses/cameras (one reason why I think 4/3rds tanked- it forgot about this unique selling proposition of size but now we see micro four thirds), I think it's fine.

And people wouldn't be really all that bothered.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Marin

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
it seemed very fair

i don't understand why anyone would think otherwise.
--
working as intended

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
BungHole
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?

Seemed like less of a real review and more like a few high school kids trying to pick a gadget they thought was cool after having a couple beers. The tests they used were rediculous being that the OMD had the slow kit lense compared to using a prime lens on the other two. The xpro1 does have beautiful files, but it is $700 more and looks like a big brick.
--

I need TP for my BungHole

BungHole's gear list:BungHole's gear list
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
Correct. Not bothered.
In reply to Raist3d, Apr 22, 2012

I'll watch the video later, but agree with Ricardo above... m4/3rds should be seen as a killer system, with the sweet spot of performance to size and capabilities.

Reviewers who describe the 4/3rds sensor format as inferior to APS or even FF would do their readers a service by qualifying their opinion.

This is of no concern to those of us who've done our due diligence and chosen m4/3rds.

Cheers

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?
Re: Correct. Not bothered.
In reply to Brian Mosley, Apr 22, 2012

Brian Mosley wrote:

I'll watch the video later, but agree with Ricardo above... m4/3rds should be seen as a killer system, with the sweet spot of performance to size and capabilities.

Reviewers who describe the 4/3rds sensor format as inferior to APS or even FF would do their readers a service by qualifying their opinion.

This is of no concern to those of us who've done our due diligence and chosen m4/3rds.

Cheers

Brian
--

Kai does image comparisons so it's validated, he doesn't knock the camera he just gives his views over 3 similar models, unfortunately the sensitive souls in this forum have got their pantys in a twist because he doesn't say it's the best, not even a storm in a teacup
--
working as intended

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jogger, Apr 22, 2012

Jogger wrote:

that must have been a painful (or maybe fun) video for him to make, he hates all of those brands.

Yes, he likes Nikon and Leica, not a bad taste

msusic wrote:

--
Cheers,
Marin

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
Ah, sounds fine. Will watch later. /nt
In reply to illy, Apr 22, 2012
-- hide signature --

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to Donald B, Apr 22, 2012

Yes sometimes Kai does some good comparisons, but the videos are almost always funny

Donald B wrote:

finaly someone shows a comparision in real low light conditions of moving subjects.( i shoot dance schools,) and the fuji nailed detail and image quality, the problem you would only get one photo in focus ? from a full dance on stage. bugger ! 3200 is as high as i would go, shame no comparrision.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
markintosh13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,413
Like?

The more DigitalRev videos I see the fewer I want to watch.

Everything is "whatever you call it" - it's very dismissive / unprofessional / can't really be bothered. The schtick is tired. Everything is a bother.

Either learn to love what you do or Stick a fork in it, it's done.

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to acahaya, Apr 22, 2012

The problem is that DigitalRev videos are very popular, and can manipulate those less well informed

Anyway I enjoy to see some videos from DR

acahaya wrote:

Where is the problem?

The AF was fast (and probably accurate although they did not mention) even with the kit lens.

They compared ISO 6400 images (no idea how they were processed) and to me the E-M5 did not look bad when compared with the NEX7. The Fuji is another beast and whoever expected E-M5 low lig t capabilities to be on par cannot be helped.

Kai obviously is not intested to learn more abot the E-M5 (VF, IBIS, handling of AF ;)) and draws a ridiculous conclusion.

So what, the only consequence to me is that i still like watching their videos because very often they are funny but Kai now has even less credibility than he had before.

Don't watch digitalrev videos if you expect to see and hear praise of mFt cameras.
--
http://www.acahaya.com

-- hide signature --

tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,461Gear list
Like?
Re: Very much agreed. The best we should expect
In reply to Raist3d, Apr 22, 2012

Is like for like parity at the same photosite size and I'm happy to see Olympus and Panasonic working to plug the gap that has existed since Sony got their act together.

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,473Gear list
Like?
Re: Sensor size issue
In reply to marike6, Apr 22, 2012

marike6 wrote:

msusic wrote:

I'm just as much a fan of m43s as anyone, but I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. Granted, the above DigitalRev wasn't the most serious review, but have you ever used seen the high ISO files from a Fuji X100, or did you watch the "noise test" of the above video? The Fuji files (X-Pro1, X100) are remarkably clean at high ISO.

I have no interest in ISO higher than 1200. Maybe in future I'll use in some very rare situations ISO 2000. that is it.
I do not buy in high ISO races.

Ergonomics, handling, EVF (I prefer EVF to OVF) and overall convenience are more important to me than " high ISO performance"

The 16 mp LiveMOS sensor does very well at fairly high ISO, but it's not anywhere near what you get with the Fuji or K-5. Sorry to say.

-- hide signature --

I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads