Reverse lens..135mm or two lenses?

Started Apr 22, 2012 | Discussions
Multi-SportsMom
Contributing MemberPosts: 593Gear list
Like?
Reverse lens..135mm or two lenses?
Apr 22, 2012

I am thinking of trying reversing my 135mm f2 or stacking two lenses. What are your thoughts using a long lens vs stacking two lenses. Whats the difference?

I tried 35mm and 50mm will there be any difference using a 135mm other than not having to be so close to the subject.

Multi-SportsMom's gear list:Multi-SportsMom's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +5 more
Statross2
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?
Re: Reverse lens..135mm or two lenses?
In reply to Multi-SportsMom, Apr 24, 2012

If you havent tried it already, try holding your 135 reversed on your camera, i'm pretty sure you wont be able to get focus, the focus will be inside the lens.

my two-lens stacking results havent been good but other examples on the web have been very nice. it's very lens-dependent. That said, 135 is probably too short for much> thn 1:1 with 35 or 50...200mm with a 35 would give ok mag

yes, 135 shouldnt give extra WD when reversed, it should be the other way round

if you want extra WD for your 35 put extension on the camera, that will increase the WD of a reversed short lens.

Multi-SportsMom wrote:

I am thinking of trying reversing my 135mm f2 or stacking two lenses. What are your thoughts using a long lens vs stacking two lenses. Whats the difference?

I tried 35mm and 50mm will there be any difference using a 135mm other than not having to be so close to the subject.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Multi-SportsMom
Contributing MemberPosts: 593Gear list
Like?
In reply to Statross2, Apr 25, 2012

Ok so reversed you dont get more WD as you would non reversed 35 vs 100mm?

Reversing is fun and cheap, but hate being on top of things to get it in focus. Some day i will get a a real macro lens.
Will have to look at using extensions.

Statross2 wrote:

If you havent tried it already, try holding your 135 reversed on your camera, i'm pretty sure you wont be able to get focus, the focus will be inside the lens.

my two-lens stacking results havent been good but other examples on the web have been very nice. it's very lens-dependent. That said, 135 is probably too short for much> thn 1:1 with 35 or 50...200mm with a 35 would give ok mag

if you want extra WD for your 35 put extension on the camera, that will increase the WD of a reversed short lens.

Multi-SportsMom wrote:

Multi-SportsMom's gear list:Multi-SportsMom's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +5 more
_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,078
Like?
In reply to Multi-SportsMom, Apr 25, 2012

Multi-SportsMom wrote:

No, any reversed lens should focus where the sensor is supposed to be. The main idea of reversed stacking is high quality high (supermacro) magnification. And the setup is clumsy. With single reversed lenses, longer FL results in less magnification, and it doesn't make sense practically unless with long bellows.

If you want "ordinary" macro (up to around 1:1, that is object size about the size of your camera's sensor) at relatively long working distances and don't want to buy an expensive long macro lens, try using a normal tele lens (ca 200mm) with a weak achromat diopter, like the Marumi +3 achromat.

Or get a Tamron 90/2.8 or 60/2 DX macro if 10 cm working distance at 1:1 magnification is acceptable.
What do you want to shoot actually, what magnification (or frame size)?

Statross2
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?
In reply to Multi-SportsMom, Apr 28, 2012

correct, you will usually get less (lens dependent)..

with lens-on-camera you're more-or-less stuck with being on top of something...however, if you put extension between the camera and your short primes you will increase WD. For example, my 30mm reversed gives 5cm WD

you have to contend with light loss, diffraction, etc...also higher magnification and greater exposure of miniature flaws in the lens when using extension.

if you want to be 10cm away or 25cm away you'll need a 100mm or > 150mm 1:1 macro respectively.

extension is very cheap on reversed lenses because it only takes an non-chipped m42 adapter for your camera, a £4 set of m42 tubes and a £2 42-xxmm coupling ring

Multi-SportsMom wrote:

Reversing is fun and cheap, but hate being on top of things to get it in focus. Some day i will get a a real macro lens.
Will have to look at using extensions.

Statross2 wrote:

Multi-SportsMom wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads