Like?
Trip to Monterey Region
Apr 21, 2012

Julian_K
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166
Like?
Re: Trip to Monterey Region
In reply to Calinature, Apr 22, 2012

Great shots, the 2nd in particular is fantastic! Pardon my ignorance, but where in the world in the Monterey region?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
radhaz
Regular MemberPosts: 186
Like?
In reply to Julian_K, Apr 22, 2012

Monterey Bay Area, about 80 miles south of San Francisco. The second pic is of the Bixby Creek bridge on Highway 1.

Julian_K
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166
Like?
Thanks!
In reply to radhaz, Apr 22, 2012

I'll have to add this to my ridiculously long 'to see' list.

larrymull
Regular MemberPosts: 141
Like?

Beautiful part of the world, i love it down there.

Pimpleportrait
Senior MemberPosts: 1,078
Like?
Re: Real Photos for a Change

Thanks for sharing. I have the E5 too. Nice to see some real looking photos for a change after looking at all those over processed photos, overdone HDR and the like.

How did the Seals smell like?

http://www.benizisantamaria.com

Calinature
Regular MemberPosts: 463
Like?
Thanks for comments: plus a few more

As one viewer said, the Monterey region is south of San Francisco. It is the home of the famous Pebble Beach Golf Course, the 17-mile drive, many works of art, and of course Clint Eastwood lives in the area. My interests are more mundane, however. Notice that a shark took a big bite out of the side of one of the smaller elephant seals (second picture)...ouch! The nice thing about Olympus gear is that very little post processing is needed. I just use a couple of sliders a little bit, and that's it! Jeff Hart

Paul Meakin
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
Re: Thanks!

If you go, don't miss Point Lobos, just outside Carmel.

edit; Link... http://www.pointlobos.org/

Carmel is a nice place to stay, too, but not the cheapest.

light_bulb
Contributing MemberPosts: 507
Like?

Thanks for reminding me of my highway 1 trip from Seattle to L.A. some time ago.

Besides some coasts of Washington and Oregon I have pretty much enjoyed the landscape around San Francisco.

Thanks for sharing.
--
http://home.fotocommunity.de/andreaspastowski

406coupe
Regular MemberPosts: 253Gear list
Like?
In reply to light_bulb, Apr 22, 2012

Lovely evocative pictures - looks like you had a pretty full bag of lenses!

freealfas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,538Gear list
Like?

Nice collection of shots.

I grew up in Carmel and can't for the life of me figure out where the 2nd to last shot is???

freealfas's gear list:freealfas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 6800 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-30 +16 more
Calinature
Like?
In reply to freealfas, Apr 22, 2012

This second to the last shot was taken a bit north of Monterey...Ano Nuevo, a place that collects a big concentration of elephant seals. The structure seen at the distance is an abandoned light house complex on an island. I would love to go there and get some photos...how about you?

Calinature
Like?
Art and Photography in Carmel

There are more than 100 art (non-photographic) galleries in Carmel. There are only 2 photography galleries and these are pretty much dedicated to the classical works of Edward Weston (and son) and Ansel Adams. Seems that "hero worship" trumps the potential work of newbies. Any ideas why this might be so?

Another observation was to compare some of these classic works with modern, digital photographs. Seems like the ancients were not afraid of including deep shadow contrasts, while we moderns do all we can to lighten dark areas and darken light areas...ah!, for more dynamic range!!! Your thoughts.

freealfas
Like?

That's why I didn't recognize it, haven't been to ano nuevo in a ton of years and it's more than a bit north of Monterey, it's actually north of Santa Cruz all the way around the bay and up the coast 50/60 miles away. Would love to go wander that building.

Fujifilm FinePix 6800 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-30 +16 more
travlinhoosier
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
Re: Art and Photography in Carmel

That area is wonderful. Big Sur is a bucket list experience (be sure to drive south so it's safe to pull off), Point Lobos, Carmel, the state beaches, the agricultural region where we get a lot of our lettuce and strawberries and all our artichokes and much, much more. Go there by all means.

freealfas
Like?
Re: Art and Photography in Carmel

Calinature wrote:

There are more than 100 art (non-photographic) galleries in Carmel. There are only 2 photography galleries and these are pretty much dedicated to the classical works of Edward Weston (and son) and Ansel Adams. Seems that "hero worship" trumps the potential work of newbies. Any ideas why this might be so?

Another observation was to compare some of these classic works with modern, digital photographs. Seems like the ancients were not afraid of including deep shadow contrasts, while we moderns do all we can to lighten dark areas and darken light areas...ah!, for more dynamic range!!! Your thoughts.

As for the hero worship, I actually as a child got to meet Ansel Adams and his wife. My parents took my sister and I to meet him at a book signing for "Yeosemite and the range of light". We have the book and a picture of my sister and I somewhere with him and his wife.

Carmel/Central Central Coast is not a real open place to new ideas. One drive around Carmel and it's overdone cottage cute homes and faux architecture represents fully the idea it isn't the the artist community it once was. There is very little forward thinking to anything there anymore. It's all about image and keeping up appearances for the tourist trade it relies on.

The rent is not cheap in carmel or the surrounding areas, hero's sell, newbies more often that not don't... people have to pay the bills at the end of the day. That said those galleries have been there a long, long time and keep the hero's accessible which is important.

My family and I live in Chicago now and we visit my sister and her family and my parents that still live there. It's nice to visit as it's an amazing place to see and spend time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads