D200 and AF 80-200 2.8 ED Push pull 1st version

Started Apr 21, 2012 | Discussions
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
D200 and AF 80-200 2.8 ED Push pull 1st version
Apr 21, 2012

I found a really good condition example off E bay for very little, considering the price of (here-say) £1500 when launched in the late 80's, early 90's. And Contrary to what is said:

a) The optics are as clean as some new (out of the box) lenses after twenty years of use, so pumping dust myth, is to my mind busted.

b) The Autofocus while slow to cover the full range in a 'cap on' test, is actually quite fast from target to target at least on a D200.

c) The lens has the same optics as the next two versions so optical qualities are well known.

This lens is the lightest of the 70/80-200 family and using the lens hand held, photographing seagulls was great fun. I have mounted the lens and camera directly to a tripod, with the use of a remote switch which is OK on the D200, but would not do this on a plastic body camera, (for use in landscape mode only). Also be warned that at 2.8 the depth of field is very thin. (best focussed manually at 2.8 at close distances, manual focus however is a joy on this lens. Here are some photos, all taken at f2.8 except man and hawk, which is f3.3 and the hawk is still not in focus! Most are cropped.

A crop of the above:

Like the 50mm 1.4, this lens takes time to learn how to use, but hopefully I will get better!!

John

Nikon D200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,754Gear list
Like?
Re: D200 and AF 80-200 2.8 ED Push pull 1st version
In reply to Cytokine, Apr 21, 2012

I've been using my push-pull since 1995. Too good for me to justify upgrading to a 70-200vr II, considering the cost.

I think the lens has a sweet spot at about F4, when shooting people outside, like your portraits of people holding birds.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cytokine
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Apr 21, 2012

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I've been using my push-pull since 1995. Too good for me to justify upgrading to a 70-200vr II, considering the cost.

I have only just got mine but really enjoying it.

I think the lens has a sweet spot at about F4, when shooting people outside, like your portraits of people holding birds.

Thanks Craig, they were taking the hawk for a walk along the sea front and were happy to pose. The hawk comes from Saudi Arabia and I think belongs to a student studying in the UK it was very anaemic looking, but a friend said it was in good health.

I have tried F4 and it was very sharp, but will try using for a portrait.

John

-- hide signature --
Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,572Gear list
Like?
i love that lens..
In reply to Cytokine, Apr 22, 2012

I got it off ebay for 350 about 8yrs ago, and even today it is an incredibly sharp cookie at all zoom ranges and even at f2.8

I tried replacing it with a 2ring version, which seems sharp too but somehow I am having second thoughts about it. There is some strange/extra contrast and extra shallow dof that the push pull is giving me along with reliable sharpness. I will keep both until I get the D800E and if the performance is good, I might just let go the 2ring version. I have pretty sturdy hands when shooting, so VR doesn't really appeal to me at 2k more, even though I have encountered quite a few situations when VR would have certainly helped.

Anyway that lens with D200, it is even more magical.. (note the zoom range)

Cytokine wrote:

I found a really good condition example off E bay for very little, considering the price of (here-say) £1500 when launched in the late 80's, early 90's. And Contrary to what is said:

a) The optics are as clean as some new (out of the box) lenses after twenty years of use, so pumping dust myth, is to my mind busted.

b) The Autofocus while slow to cover the full range in a 'cap on' test, is actually quite fast from target to target at least on a D200.

c) The lens has the same optics as the next two versions so optical qualities are well known.

This lens is the lightest of the 70/80-200 family and using the lens hand held, photographing seagulls was great fun. I have mounted the lens and camera directly to a tripod, with the use of a remote switch which is OK on the D200, but would not do this on a plastic body camera, (for use in landscape mode only). Also be warned that at 2.8 the depth of field is very thin. (best focussed manually at 2.8 at close distances, manual focus however is a joy on this lens. Here are some photos, all taken at f2.8 except man and hawk, which is f3.3 and the hawk is still not in focus! Most are cropped.

A crop of the above:

Like the 50mm 1.4, this lens takes time to learn how to use, but hopefully I will get better!!

John

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
HSway
Senior MemberPosts: 2,632
Like?

Hi john, these look very good. Nice shots btw – the gulls need just a bit more light – and shutter speed imo.

I am sure you will enjoy this very interesting and versatile FL in this fine lens.

Hynek

-- hide signature --
Cytokine
Like?
Re: i love that lens..
In reply to Devendra, Apr 22, 2012

Devendra wrote:

I got it off ebay for 350 about 8yrs ago, and even today it is an incredibly sharp cookie at all zoom ranges and even at f2.8

I tried replacing it with a 2ring version, which seems sharp too but somehow I am having second thoughts about it. There is some strange/extra contrast and extra shallow dof that the push pull is giving me along with reliable sharpness. I will keep both until I get the D800E and if the performance is good, I might just let go the 2ring version. I have pretty sturdy hands when shooting, so VR doesn't really appeal to me at 2k more, even though I have encountered quite a few situations when VR would have certainly helped.

Anyway that lens with D200, it is even more magical.. (note the zoom range)

Devendra, great photo with lovely golden tones, I also like the colour from this lens though I have no experience with the 2ring version. There may have been changes in coating, or lens manufacturing after the push pulls, moving to more moulded and automated lens production that was being developed at this period (pure guess work,) but the ais 80-200 2.8 ed that proceeded it cost 4 times more than the ais f4 version, $2,350 1n 1982/5 money according to ken R.

John

Cytokine
Like?
In reply to HSway, Apr 22, 2012

HSway wrote:

Hi john, these look very good. Nice shots btw – the gulls need just a bit more light – and shutter speed imo.

I am sure you will enjoy this very interesting and versatile FL in this fine lens.

Hynek

Thanks Hynek, and I agree regarding the gulls, the one standing on the wall was 1/2000 and the focus point looks OK, but I don't have much experience with bird photography.

John

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,754Gear list
Like?

Perhaps because I used it on film for 10 years before digital, I like the 80-200 a lot more on film or FX than on DX. I find it not wide enough on DX.

I tended not to use it much with my DX cameras, and eventually made the choice to replace it in my backpack with an 80-400vr.

Once I got a D700, I decided I needed both lenses, and so I found I could pull a flash (SB800) out of the backpack and put the 80-200 in its place. I find the 80-200 to be near perfect for photographing people at events like the Renaissance Faire.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
HSway
Like?
In reply to Cytokine, Apr 23, 2012

-I should have looked into the exif, the setting could not be better. I see 1/000 the flying one and 1/2000 the other one. they are in focus, I think that cropping the frame could have contributed to that slight drop in crispness seen on other examples or a bit of underexposure or both, just guessing. Thanks for correction John.

Hynek

-- hide signature --
Cytokine
Like?
In reply to HSway, Apr 23, 2012

HSway wrote:

-I should have looked into the exif, the setting could not be better. I see 1/000 the flying one and 1/2000 the other one. they are in focus, I think that cropping the frame could have contributed to that slight drop in crispness seen on other examples or a bit of underexposure or both, just guessing. Thanks for correction John.

Hynek

Hynek

I think a bit of both! The normally very accurate D200 metering seems to be slightly off with this lens, especially at small apertures. the exif is recording the correct distance, and the 9 blade aperture is closing down OK, so it must be the unusual optical arrangement of the lens which also confuses the autofocus system at max aperture and minimum focus. The optical construction is discussed here
http://www.pierretoscani.com/echo_telezooms_english.html

John

FoolyCooly
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,458Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cytokine, Apr 23, 2012

I've owned a lot of fast glass in this range including the 70-200 VR 1, Tamron 70-200 2.8 and now a 2 ring 80-200 f2.8. Of all these lenses the 80-200 Push Pull has been my favorite. I know this is personal and can not be measured but I really liked the images I got from that lens and regret ever getting rid of it.

FoolyCooly's gear list:FoolyCooly's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EOS 6D
Cytokine
Like?
In reply to FoolyCooly, Apr 23, 2012

FoolyCooly wrote:

I've owned a lot of fast glass in this range including the 70-200 VR 1, Tamron 70-200 2.8 and now a 2 ring 80-200 f2.8. Of all these lenses the 80-200 Push Pull has been my favorite. I know this is personal and can not be measured but I really liked the images I got from that lens and regret ever getting rid of it.

Searching the net several people have said the same thing! The only version tested on photo-zone is the 2 ring which is still made, but we will never know what changes to manufacturing were made during the 20+ years since it was introduced. It seems to be very transmissive of green and red, and the green bokeh in the photo above seemed different to what I have been seeing from say the AFD 50mm f1.4.

John

HSway
Like?
In reply to Cytokine, Apr 24, 2012

I think a bit of both! The normally very accurate D200 metering seems to be slightly off with this lens, especially at small apertures. the exif is recording the correct distance, and the 9 blade aperture is closing down OK, so it must be the unusual optical arrangement of the lens which also confuses the autofocus system at max aperture and minimum focus. The optical construction is discussed here

http://www.pierretoscani.com/echo_telezooms_english.html

John

John, knowing your thorough approach you will figure out:) – a nice source btw.

Hynek

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads