Started Apr 21, 2012 | Discussions
Earthlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,143
Like?
New 400 f5.6 L arrived and first images captured
Apr 21, 2012

Some time ago I started a thread about my tele conundrum:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=41050340

I ended up getting the much loved and trusty 400 f5.6 L. Here are the first images that I captured today:

I was at the very limit of the minimum focusing distance all the time and missed one (presumably) great shot due to the 3,5 meter minimum focus distance but that's no biggie: the lens performs admirably! I was shooting at ISO 640 due to the heavy cloud cover but the lens seems like a huge performer.

I will test critical focus and the limits of the lens in better light but so far I am impressed! I used my cropper body for these shots. Will try full frame some other day. The first one is uncropped and the rest are only cropped very little.

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,499Gear list
Like?
Re: New 400 f5.6 L arrived and first images captured
In reply to Earthlight, Apr 21, 2012

Nicely done...........it's a great lens. I couldn't get any exif data......were you wide open? If so, sharpness will improve around f/8
--
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Earthlight
Like?
In reply to Hank3152, Apr 21, 2012

Hank3152 wrote:

Nicely done...........it's a great lens. I couldn't get any exif data......were you wide open? If so, sharpness will improve around f/8

Oh, seems like my gallery host is losing EXIF again... darn. Anyway, all of these were captured at full bore, I don't want to stop this baby down. I love the bokeh it creates.

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
Earthlight
Like?
One more

This lens makes me want to shoot more birds!

I can hardly wait for clear skies, crescent moon and stacking TCs on this baby.

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
njralston
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
Re: One more

I'm renting the 400 f/5.6L plus TC's 1.4 and 2.0 for a week on Wednesday to evaluate for purchase. Now you've got me excited. Thanks for posting your pix. Beautiful.
--
Aloha, Bud

Collett
Senior MemberPosts: 4,981
Like?
It's hard to beat....

It's hard to beat.... this lens in terms of value for long telephotos. Indeed, the relatively far away MFD is the only issue I have with mine.

Earthlight wrote:

I ended up getting the much loved and trusty 400 f5.6 L. Here are the first images that I captured today:

I was at the very limit of the minimum focusing distance all the time and missed one (presumably) great shot due to the 3,5 meter minimum focus distance but that's no biggie: the lens performs admirably! I was shooting at ISO 640 due to the heavy cloud cover but the lens seems like a huge performer.

I will test critical focus and the limits of the lens in better light but so far I am impressed! I used my cropper body for these shots. Will try full frame some other day. The first one is uncropped and the rest are only cropped very little.

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Jim

GeoffE
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?

Very interested in hearing your opinion after using the TC's

Great shots...thanks for posting.

-G

GeoffE's gear list:GeoffE's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +3 more
Mike Engles
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
In reply to GeoffE, Apr 21, 2012

Hello

What camera were you using and what shutter speed and aperture Are you using a tripod are are you hand holding??

It looks like you are using a set as the birds are very cooperative, sitting on the same part of the branch, perhaps a snack keeps them happy!
I have just got one of these, but can achieve no consistency with my 5D2.

Mike Engles

Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,365Gear list
Like?
I like the lens effex thing going on in these images

I haven't taken the time to figure out the plug-ins I have that do that. Tasteful

Looks like the lens is working.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
VueFinder
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
Re: I like the lens effex thing going on in these images
In reply to Schwany, Apr 21, 2012

wow.

VueFinder's gear list:VueFinder's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +2 more
GtoJon
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,398Gear list
Like?
Where is the cat picture????

Love the images you have captured .... love the first one!!!! Very very nice job!

Cheers
--
http://www.JonSmithers.com GtoJon -
Taken any photographs lately?

GtoJon's gear list:GtoJon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon Extender EF 2x II +7 more
Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 12,039
Like?
In reply to Earthlight, Apr 22, 2012

Earthlight wrote:

Earthlight

-- hide signature --

Very nice and detailed photos. The images appear "unusually" sharp" to me.

What sharpening have you applied in camera settings as well as post processing (and if RAW) during Raw processing/conversion.

Only one "off color" comment: If you were exposing Images of Pretty Ladies, you would have to stand "way back-far away" with that lens -- [Gron]....
--
Vernon...

Earthlight
Like?
In reply to njralston, Apr 22, 2012

njralston wrote:

I'm renting the 400 f/5.6L plus TC's 1.4 and 2.0 for a week on Wednesday to evaluate for purchase. Now you've got me excited. Thanks for posting your pix. Beautiful.

I think you are going to love it! It is small and light and what a performer!

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
Earthlight
Like?
In reply to GeoffE, Apr 22, 2012

GeoffE wrote:

Very interested in hearing your opinion after using the TC's

Great shots...thanks for posting.

Thanks, I'll have to try that soon. I think This lens is going to work well with TCs.

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
Earthlight
Like?
In reply to Mike Engles, Apr 22, 2012

Mike Engles wrote:

What camera were you using and what shutter speed and aperture Are you using a tripod are are you hand holding??

This time I used my cropper backup to get extreme detail via pixel density. So, 60D, on a tripod, full aperture, between, say 1/200s and 1/500s, mostly ISO 640, at times ISO 320.

It looks like you are using a set as the birds are very cooperative, sitting on the same part of the branch, perhaps a snack keeps them happy!

Yes, there is still snow on the ground and I have been feeding these all through the winter. Some of them have just appeared as the spring progresses. I shot from a hide even though generally the birds are not really afraid of me. But this time I was really really close.

I have just got one of these, but can achieve no consistency with my 5D2.

Oh, that's too bad. What sort of an inconsistency do you experience with it? Off the top of my hat I would suggest trying it it plenty of light, practise the focus, use a tripod just to make sure. IF your tripod is not sturdy and even if it is, maybe use a cable release and mirror lock-up to see whether it is impossible to get good consistency.

Good luck!

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
Earthlight
Like?
Re: It's hard to beat....
In reply to Collett, Apr 22, 2012

Collett wrote:

It's hard to beat.... this lens in terms of value for long telephotos. Indeed, the relatively far away MFD is the only issue I have with mine.

Indeed, had they made it, say 2,5 meters this lens would be mind blowing but even as it is it is pretty easy to fill the frame with small birds. The one's I shot are quite tiny.

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
Earthlight
Like?
In reply to Schwany, Apr 22, 2012

Schwany wrote:

I haven't taken the time to figure out the plug-ins I have that do that. Tasteful

Huh? Maybe I am missing something but no plug-ins were used. Hehe, I'm probably just dumb enough not to get the joke.

Looks like the lens is working.

Yes Sir it is! I love it already. I am so happy I ended up getting this one.

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
Earthlight
Like?
In reply to VueFinder, Apr 22, 2012

VueFinder wrote:

wow.

Thanks!

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
Earthlight
Like?
Re: Where is the cat picture????
In reply to GtoJon, Apr 22, 2012

GtoJon wrote:

Love the images you have captured .... love the first one!!!! Very very nice job!

Thanks man, this lens makes is so easy.

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
Earthlight
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Apr 22, 2012

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

Very nice and detailed photos. The images appear "unusually" sharp" to me.

Oh, I see.

What sharpening have you applied in camera settings as well as post processing (and if RAW) during Raw processing/conversion.

I shot RAW and did not touch the default sharpening in conversion (ACR 6.6). In Photoshop to the online images I did "smart sharpen" to taste.

Only one "off color" comment: If you were exposing Images of Pretty Ladies, you would have to stand "way back-far away" with that lens -- [Gron]....

So true!

Earthlight

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads