Huge Light leak into my 5D3!!

Started Apr 21, 2012 | Discussions
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,282
Like?
Huge Light leak into my 5D3!!
Apr 21, 2012

I was so excited to get this camera. It was already night. Just one light bulb on. I put my 135mm on it, took the lens cap off, set ISO as 'auto' and pressed shutter. OMG, so much light leaked through the lens into the sensor. I can't believe it!!

135mm, f/2.8, ISO 12800

Jokes aside folks, yes, I got a 5D3. Only played with it for couple of hours. Can't tell you much other than that initial impression is very positive. I will tell you more and do some comparison with my 5D2. This is just a head up.

PS, shot RAW, processed in LR 4, NR done. You can view the full size here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aftab/6952548512/sizes/o/in/photostream/

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
iwannabesedated
Contributing MemberPosts: 803
Like?
Re: Huge Light leak into my 5D3!!
In reply to aftab, Apr 21, 2012

You, sir (or madam), have a very nice looking cat.

Great shot, and enjoy your new toy! -iwbs

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mrahmo
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?
Re: Huge Light leak into my 5D3!!
In reply to aftab, Apr 21, 2012
 mrahmo's gear list:mrahmo's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BillyGoatGruff
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
That’s a damn nice photo for ISO 12800.
In reply to aftab, Apr 21, 2012

no text.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FeedMe
Senior MemberPosts: 2,474
Like?
Re: Huge Light leak into my 5D3!!
In reply to aftab, Apr 21, 2012

It never ceases to amaze and amuse me how fools try to ridicule other peoples worries.
--
Only a sad fool invests their self-worth in a camera! You know who you are...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dan DeLion
Contributing MemberPosts: 541
Like?
Nothing is Sharp?
In reply to aftab, Apr 21, 2012

Out of Focus!

Perhaps the second rate construction of the 5D3 prevented it from getting anything sharply in focus. But if you're happy with this kind of result – buy Canon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stepanfo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063
Like?
Misfocused
In reply to aftab, Apr 21, 2012

You need to have iris of the closer eye in focus, not nose! It applies to people and animals as well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Macgupta
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
Re: Nothing is Sharp?
In reply to Dan DeLion, Apr 21, 2012

The shot is focused just above the cat's nose, where the picture is perfectly sharp.

The EXIF shows 200mm focal length, f/2.8, subject distance: 1.62m.
The depth of field for that is less than a centimeter.
(e.g., try
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html )

Subject distance 1.62 m

Depth of field
Near limit 1.62 m
Far limit 1.62 m
Total 0.01 m

In front of subject 0 m (50%)
Behind subject 0 m (50%)

Hyperfocal distance 471.6 m
Circle of confusion 0.03 mm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,361Gear list
Like?
Re: Nothing is Sharp?
In reply to Macgupta, Apr 21, 2012

Nice shot.

 thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +44 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alien3333
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,476
Like?
Re: Huge Light leak into my 5D3!!
In reply to aftab, Apr 21, 2012

Nice, thanks for sharing. another leak of mine

100mm, f/2.8 ISO 12800

aftab wrote:

I was so excited to get this camera. It was already night. Just one light bulb on. I put my 135mm on it, took the lens cap off, set ISO as 'auto' and pressed shutter. OMG, so much light leaked through the lens into the sensor. I can't believe it!!

135mm, f/2.8, ISO 12800

Jokes aside folks, yes, I got a 5D3. Only played with it for couple of hours. Can't tell you much other than that initial impression is very positive. I will tell you more and do some comparison with my 5D2. This is just a head up.

PS, shot RAW, processed in LR 4, NR done. You can view the full size here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aftab/6952548512/sizes/o/in/photostream/

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,730
Like?
Re: Huge Light leak into my 5D3!!
In reply to aftab, Apr 21, 2012

Yes - that is definitely a problem. I see a bunch of yellow and and significantly more black/grey/white impinged on your sensor. This should be a serious service issue.

As a temporary solution, I suggest you put the lens cap back on - you won' have this problem. I doubt that Canon can fix this.....
--
tony
http://www.tphoto.ca

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Melanson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,214Gear list
Like?
Re: Nothing is Sharp?
In reply to Dan DeLion, Apr 21, 2012

Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel?

What I don't understand is why would anyone with your views even be on a Canon site in the first place?

The post is nothing if not a condescending and rather insulting swipe at the poster.

Dan DeLion wrote:

Out of Focus!

Perhaps the second rate construction of the 5D3 prevented it from getting anything sharply in focus. But if you're happy with this kind of result – buy Canon.

-- hide signature --

(See equipment list under 'profile')

 Tom Melanson's gear list:Tom Melanson's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,282
Like?
Re: Huge Light leak into my 5D3!!
In reply to iwannabesedated, Apr 21, 2012

iwannabesedated wrote:

You, sir (or madam), have a very nice looking cat.

Great shot, and enjoy your new toy! -iwbs

Thanks.

Please, no sir or madam. Just 'Aftab'. Yeah, that's my name. I know, it's funny.
I am a male, btw.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,282
Like?
Re: Huge Light leak into my 5D3!!
In reply to mrahmo, Apr 21, 2012

mrahmo wrote:

nice details

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,282
Like?
Re: Huge Light leak into my 5D3!!
In reply to FeedMe, Apr 21, 2012

FeedMe wrote:

It never ceases to amaze and amuse me how fools try to ridicule other peoples worries.

This world is full of fools. Let's get rid of them.

-- hide signature --

Only a sad fool invests their self-worth in a camera! You know who you are...

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,282
Like?
Re: Nothing is Sharp?
In reply to Dan DeLion, Apr 21, 2012

Dan DeLion wrote:

Out of Focus!

Really?

Perhaps the second rate construction of the 5D3 prevented it from getting anything sharply in focus. But if you're happy with this kind of result – buy Canon.

Thanks, I already did.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,282
Like?
Re: Misfocused
In reply to Stepanfo, Apr 21, 2012

Stepanfo wrote:

You need to have iris of the closer eye in focus, not nose! It applies to people and animals as well.

True.

Focus is just above the nose, done quickly for convenience as she was constantly moving and I wasn't getting the angle I was looking for. Still, the nearest eye looks to be in good focus in my monitor. Remember, this is RAW, no sharpening done.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PunkRock
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
Re: Nothing is Sharp?
In reply to Dan DeLion, Apr 21, 2012

Dan DeLion wrote:

Out of Focus!

Perhaps the second rate construction of the 5D3 prevented it from getting anything sharply in focus. But if you're happy with this kind of result – buy Canon.

You are such an idiot, out of all the Nikon Trolls you're prob the stupidest, put onto my ignore list.

-- hide signature --

Meat=Murder

 PunkRock's gear list:PunkRock's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,282
Like?
Re: Nothing is Sharp?
In reply to Macgupta, Apr 21, 2012

Macgupta wrote:

The shot is focused just above the cat's nose, where the picture is perfectly sharp.

The EXIF shows 200mm focal length, f/2.8, subject distance: 1.62m.
The depth of field for that is less than a centimeter.
(e.g., try
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html )

Subject distance 1.62 m

Depth of field
Near limit 1.62 m
Far limit 1.62 m
Total 0.01 m

In front of subject 0 m (50%)
Behind subject 0 m (50%)

Hyperfocal distance 471.6 m
Circle of confusion 0.03 mm

Thanks. You are right, that's where the focus was.

I did make a mistake in excitement. I was trying different lenses and this was shot with 70-200 MKII, but when I posted the topic, 135mm was on the camera and that fooled me thinking that this was taken with 135mm. Talk about excitement.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,282
Like?
Re: Nothing is Sharp?
In reply to thomas2279f, Apr 21, 2012

thomas2279f wrote:

Nice shot.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads